Favorite Excursion/experience And Why??

cherun

We used Soto's for our snorkel and sting ray and were very happy with the trip. Only 9 of us on board, looks like the boat could hold around 30. Where we snorkel was only one other boat of about the same number of people. Sting ray City was fun and our guide was very informative and very helpful with holding and touching the sting rays. Our guides had food for the sting ray and let us all feed them as much as we wanted, looked like some of the other ships did the feeding themselves not the passengers. We had people coming over to our guide and asking for food he complied but I thought it was very bold of them to ask.

I would highly recommed them...and would use them again on another trip

name the best experience or excursion and why you liked it so much.. would really help me decide what to do here.. thanks :)

:confused:

We really liked the beaches near Rum Point. Beautiful white sand, and without the crowds of 7 Mile Beach.

DavidnSteph

Just got back... Best time on any port was the snorkel/stingray city tour by Captain Marvin's! We snorkeled 2 different sites and both were wonderful! Then to a sandbar (which was about chest deep) and handled, fed and kissed (for good luck) the stingrays! I felt this was the best value ($39.99) and felt very comfortable & safe. Nice boat ride also! Would do it again in a heartbeat!

I'm assuming you mean in Grand Cayman, since you are in the Cayman thread.

I stayed for 2 weeks with my family at a small resort near Rum Point year ago. Fell in love with Grand Cayman and snorkeling.

I've done the Stingray City tour with a ship. Loved it, though it was my first excursion there.

Two years later, we did the Stingray city and Snorkeling with Capt. Bryan's on the Buccanner catamaran. Had a good time.

Last year we decided to "wing it" and headed south of town on foot to Sunset House Dive resort for snorkeling. It was an awesome find and a really nice and relaxing day. We just lounged, ate, drank and snorkeled to our hearts content. We really loved it here. We would do this again someday.

This January, we are doing the Stingray City snorkel trip again, but this time with StingraySailing on the Far Tortuga catamaran. This looks like a great outfit and we are going with friends who have never experienced the stingrays so we just HAD to do it.

I would say, the first trip to see the stingrays was a favorite because it was the first time and we didn't know what to expect. Sunset House Dive resort day was awesome as well.

Just off the Freedom of the Seas Sunday. In GC we took a tour with

Stingray Sailing dot com. Chip was the captain of a beautiful catamaran that took us on a great trip to stingray city and for snorkling on a coral reef. The fish were varied and beautiful. The crew was very helpful and seemed very intent on pleasing us all. They only take 20-25 people on a trip. We saw some boats that had people packed in like sardines. Our group felt we got a great value for our money. They cut up alot of squid so there is plenty to feed the stingrays and showed us how to feed them. They brought some big ones to the surface so we could see them up close. They were very responsive to my e-mail questions and in some cases answered me with in an hour or two. I highly recommend them from my experience.:)

We did a great tour with Cayman in a Nutshell. It began with a trip to Stingray City, followed by snorkeling. After that, we headed to Botswains beach for the turtle farm, then on to Hell. After that, we enjoyed a relaxing lunch on the beach (choice of chicken or fish - very tasty) then headed to the rum factory. I highly recommend this tour.

Rent a car and go on your own. You can see most of what's been posted less expensively and at your own pace. The island is manageable enough for distance and time and most of what you're looking at through these posts are on the same side of the island.

Hi! Where is the best place to rent a car?? And, what would you plan on seeing if you did rent a car?? Thanks for any input!

Hi! Where is the best place to rent a car?? And, what would you plan on seeing if you did rent a car?? Thanks for any input!

I have an inclusive rate for an intermiediate size (driving permit, insurance, gas) of $67.49 through Avis. They will meet us at the tender docks and take us to the car, which is at the airport, only a few minutes away. You can book the rental directly on-line through their web site on on GC at:

avisgcm@candw.ky Just ask about cruise specials. They also offer Amex discounts.

To the northern tip from the docks and town is Hell and the Turtle Farm. About halfway there on the cove east of the coast road is where you can get the boats for the Stingray encounter. (This can be booked as well directly on line - just Google stingray / Grand Cayman to find sites - for all of these areas for that matter. You can also get maps on line as well.) Seven Mile beach - as the name implies - runs along the coast road on the west for the better part of the drive north.

I don't think anything is more than about 30 - 45 minutes from town and the coast road is pretty straightforward. I'm sure Avis will have local maps as well. Not sure what is south, although I know some cruise lines tender in that area and use a beach somewhere down that direction. We intend to explore that to find out.

Hope this helps!

I have an inclusive rate for an intermiediate size (driving permit, insurance, gas) of $67.49 through Avis. They will meet us at the tender docks and take us to the car, which is at the airport, only a few minutes away. You can book the rental directly on-line through their web site on on GC at:

avisgcm@candw.ky Just ask about cruise specials. They also offer Amex discounts.

To the northern tip from the docks and town is Hell and the Turtle Farm. About halfway there on the cove east of the coast road is where you can get the boats for the Stingray encounter. (This can be booked as well directly on line - just Google stingray / Grand Cayman to find sites - for all of these areas for that matter. You can also get maps on line as well.) Seven Mile beach - as the name implies - runs along the coast road on the west for the better part of the drive north.

I don't think anything is more than about 30 - 45 minutes from town and the coast road is pretty straightforward. I'm sure Avis will have local maps as well. Not sure what is south, although I know some cruise lines tender in that area and use a beach somewhere down that direction. We intend to explore that to find out.

Hope this helps!

Hi! Thanks for the input! Did you encounter any traffic heading back to the port?? We would love to do this, but are worried about reports of heavy traffic!:eek: Thanks again!

Hi! Thanks for the input! Did you encounter any traffic heading back to the port?? We would love to do this, but are worried about reports of heavy traffic!:eek: Thanks again!

We've not rented previously in GC - this one in December will be the first time renting there. However, I will let you know after we get back if traffic is an issue. Our game plan is to head north and furthest in the morning and plan our return around lunch. That should give us enough time to deal with traffic, if there is any. We'll venture south and not too far after lunch if we decide to contnue with the car - otherwise we'll check it back in and hang around time until departure.

We've not rented previously in GC - this one in December will be the first time renting there. However, I will let you know after we get back if traffic is an issue. Our game plan is to head north and furthest in the morning and plan our return around lunch. That should give us enough time to deal with traffic, if there is any. We'll venture south and not too far after lunch if we decide to contnue with the car - otherwise we'll check it back in and hang around time until departure.

Thanks for all the input! I will be anxiously awaiting your report! Have a great trip!

We rented a car from Avis last year and drove to Rum Point and beyond. The island is easy to navigate. We found renting from a company at the airport helped with the traffic issue. They picked us up and dropped us off at the port Blue Iguana shop. The airport is to the east of the port - therefore we did not have to go through any traffic of Georgetown to get to Rum Point.

Some rental car companies rent out of Seven Mile Beach. This would work well for those going north to Hell and/or the Turtle Farm.

Hope this helps.

Just got back... Best time on any port was the snorkel/stingray city tour by Captain Marvin's! We snorkeled 2 different sites and both were wonderful! Then to a sandbar (which was about chest deep) and handled, fed and kissed (for good luck) the stingrays! I felt this was the best value ($39.99) and felt very comfortable & safe. Nice boat ride also! Would do it again in a heartbeat!

Thank you for your review, we are also booked with Captain Marvin. could you tell me how far from the port you met up with them?

also about how many on the boat?

Thanks

I see you were on the Inspiration. I will be on the Inspiration next March and in GC from 8:00 - 3:00. What time were you there? How did Soto's fit into your schedule? Any time to be at the beach afterwards? Thanks for any info.

We were there the same time table. which is actually 7-2 their time, in Sept.. so check out daylight savings time if it applies..

Our tour was from 9:30a-11:30a. We met them at a nearby parking lot, they shuttle you in a van to their location and head out. We snorkeled a little longer as there weren't very many of us and no one had to get back earlier than us. Then they took us back to the tender area. Don't really think you would have time to go to a beach after, as with a tender they want you back on around 2 (ship time or 1 local time).. we could have shopped some in the area as we got back around 12:15p but we didn't care and just got back on the ship.

Thanks for the info. I am having a hard time deciding what to do in GC with the hours we are there. I'm considering the excursion offered by Carnival that does the snorkeling and Rum Point. But Sotos sounds good because I would prefer a smaller group than the crowds of Carnival. I'm being very greedy with my time - I want to fit in as much as I can while we're there.

just did the nativeway watersports excursion, sting ray, starfish and snorkeling. My email stated to meet at 9 a.m. EST. I did and the nativeway guy said to come back in an hour. they do not do daylight savings time. Anyway, we arrived back there hour later and they bussed us over to their boat. short drive. Saw many iguanas. there were 11 of us total, along with two tour guides and one photographer. they don't let you feed the stingrays anymore. We were able to kiss and hold the stingrays. We then got back on the boat and went a little further to do some snorkeling and then a little farther away to where the starfish were. The tour guide had to go down and get me a starfish. I couldn't hold my breath that long. We had a wonderful time. I would highly recommend them. I did buy the photos. It cost around $60 but it was for all of the pictures. So I would recommend getting as many pictures taken as possible if you are thinking of getting the pictures. I don't normally buy pictures but they did come out very good. The two men were very nice and they never asked or hinted about a tip. Again, I would highly recommend nativeway watersports.

Thanks for the info. I am having a hard time deciding what to do in GC with the hours we are there. I'm considering the excursion offered by Carnival that does the snorkeling and Rum Point. But Sotos sounds good because I would prefer a smaller group than the crowds of Carnival. I'm being very greedy with my time - I want to fit in as much as I can while we're there.

I second the vote for Soto's. Randy and Kerry are wonderfully friendly. Randy takes us out. He's patient and very soft-spoken and very very patient with us and our "touristy" questions about the rays.

If you are willing, he's happy to give you food to feed them. Our group last September was a total of FOUR people. He said it's busier during non-hurricane season but never ever as crowded as a ship's excursion.

Before we get in the water on the sandbar, he brings out a model of a ray and explains where to touch them, HOW to touch them, etc. He brings them up and hands them to you. When they know you have food, they are everywhere, and it was SO NICE not to have to "share" all the rays with the larger excursions.

They ask us to come on an early tender--this was not a problem for us, we were up and ready that morning. They'll pick you up there and drop you off. We pay (in cash) and then we're on our way.

They took us snorkeling on a coral reef for about 1/2 hr (that doesn't sound like a lot, but it IS) and then we continued on to the sandbar where we spent a nice bit of time. It was fabulous.

Here's a couple pictures of our time with Soto's:

010_8-2.jpg

017_15-2.jpg

022_20-2.jpg

022_20.jpg

010_8.jpg

We were back to the ship before noon. Our last tender time was 2:45 or 3:45 (I don't remember). The point is, we went back to the ship, got cleaned up, had lunch and were still able to go to town and stroll around for a couple hours (I think it was 2-2.5 hrs.) before catching one of the last tenders back to the ship.

So if you do go with Soto's, you will still have time to do something else if you have the energy to do it.

I'm done now. LOL...

Archived