Getting sea sick on Windstar

Bettyboop66

My husband is trying to talk me into a cruise from St.Thomas on one of the Windstar ships, I've done a search fot info about getting sea sick but haven't found anything recent. Can anyone give me any opinions on this? I've sailed on only big ships in the past and have never had a problem. The ships look like they would be wonderful to try but I'm a little nervous. Thanks for the help.

Betty

It will really be helpful to get a stateroom midships and on the lowest deck. When we were in the Med on the Wind Spirit last May, there was a day of really rough seas. I was on deck 3 in the lounge and found it pretty rocky. Then I went to our cabin and was amazed at how stable it was; we felt very little movement.

I hope you book the cruise. We loved our ship and our cruise. The crew is the absolute best!

You can get sea sick on any ship. That said, I've been on every Windstar ship, and never gotten sea sick on any of them. However, there have been people on almost every cruise who have. Just come prepared and you should have no problem.

We sailed on the Windsurf (a larger ship of similar design) in Sept. and I spent most of one day in bed, seasick due to 10-12 foot seas. Dramamine only made me sleepy, many passengers were using patches behind their ears and some had a wrist band that exerts mild pressure on a spot on your wrist and all I talked to said how well they worked. They sold them on the ship but we only had rough seas one day.

I have a tendency toward motion sickness, and I read once that you should take Dramamine before getting on the ship, so that you have a small amount in your system as you adjust to being on water rather than land. I have been on the Windstar ships many times, and I take a half of a Dramamine about an hour before getting on the ship. It isn't enough to make me sleepy. I take the other half before going to bed. The next few days I will take a half at bedtime, and it provides just enough help so that I never feel queasy. If the seas get rough, I take another half. This has worked well for me, and I have never had a problem. I think more people are likely to react to the motion of the tenders than to the ship itself.

Sea sickness pills like dramamine are a preventive medicine, if you think you may get sea sick take them before the ship sails. Once your sea sick all you can do is ride it out, no amount of drugs is going to help once your past the point of no return :)

Sea sickness pills like dramamine are a preventive medicine, if you think you may get sea sick take them before the ship sails. Once your sea sick all you can do is ride it out, no amount of drugs is going to help once your past the point of no return :)

. . . than Dramamine, which makes me sleepy beyond the point of enjoying anything but a nap! When beginning a cruise, I take 1/2 Bonine an hour before the ship sails, and then 1/2 tablet every morning. Works like a charm for me, and does not cause drowsiness.

Although the recommended dosage is one tablet every 24 hours, I've always found a half is all I need. I've worn the sea wrist bands too but am not sure they make any difference.

We book a cabin on Level B, to minimize motion. And I pop a Bonine once a day. Never had any problem with motion sickness at all on the Windstar, even in rough seas on the western Mediterranean. I found the slight rocking motion made me sleep better than I have in years. I had a lot more problem with motion on the Holland American Westerdam, which is a pretty big ship.

By the way, Windstar's medical area stocks motion sickness medication. It's right outside the door. At least it was there in January when we last sailed.

Get a prescription for scopolamine patch. If you are small(i am 120 lbs), cut the patch in half-wear half for three days then put on the other half. the patch will stay on-no problem. possible side effects are dry mouth and diziness but not always. bonine/dramamine can cause drowsiness. if you are ready for bed and the seas are rough take the bonine and go to sleep. We find that seas seem to get rougher in the evening once the ship is on the way and the captain has to "make time" or sail a course more directly to the next port. If the seas are very rough try to avoid laying out on the very top deck and drinking lots of bloody mary's. This is a bad combination!

• 2 weeks later...

The Coast Guard uses Bonine, and I highly recommend it. I do tall ship sailing in all kinds of weather which usually has the crew feeding the fish over the side. I never had a problem.

Take Bonine the night before your cruise, and then once every evening before you go to bed during the trip. Unless you have a real problem with sea sickness, it won't be necessary, particularly where you're going. The seas are usually pretty calm in that area.

Don't drink alcohol if you're on Bonine. And be sure you take it before you go to bed because it will make you sleepy. There is a non-drowsy version, but I can't vouch for it as I've never tried that one.

Archived