Princess and Royal Caribbean

charliegirlac

Hi all,

We have previously cruised with Royal Caribbean and are considering taking a Princess cruise in December 2009. A benefit is it leaves from Melbourne Australia (my home town) and it will be Australian currency on board. Given the current economy I think that will be a huge plus! My husband is concerned as we do love RCI and all it has to offer. If you can provide me any info on similarities/differences and pluses and minuses it would be GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks!

Carly

I am a huge fan of Royal Carib's Voyager-class ships. We recently sailed on the Caribbean Princess and liked it very much. We found that there are some things we liked better about Princess, and other things that RCI does better, but it balanced out to an equivalent cruising experience. Although Royal Caribbean remains our favorite cruiseline, we will definitely cruise with Princess again.

You can click on the link in my signature for my review of the Caribbean Princess, which includes a lot of comparisons between the two cruiselines.

I have cruised both lines numerous time and, in fact, my next two cruises are one on each. I enjoy them both and I don't think you are going to go wrong with either! RCL has more activities and 'action-like' related things; such as the rock climbing wall, ice skating, etc. I think the food on Princess is much better overall. I prefer the Princess cabins to RCL but it is a fact that RCL cabins do tend to be a bit smaller. (Usually I will get a junior suite on RCL and a mini on Princess.) That being said, RCL does have more food variety on their ships. They both have dining rooms, buffets, pizza, specialty restaurants, room service, etc. but the RCL also adds things like Johnny Rockets, the afternoon tea/snack time with crazy assortments of things to eat, and more options in the pizza-place. Princess has a more subdued decor overall with calming woods and pastels. RCL can go for the big and bold decor; I find both of them fun in their own ways.

I really don't think you're going to go wrong with either and I'm sure you'll enjoy your vacation no matter what you chose. I would double check with the cruise line to make sure it is Australian currency on board though. I sailed Australia/New Zealand on Princess a couple of years ago and the currency on board was the US dollar.

I think it's important that you consider in advance what is important to you on a cruise ship, so you won't set yourself up for disappointment. RCCL has all the sports activities (flow rider, rock climbing, ice skating) as well as the promenade with its parades and a large atrium. Some cruisers come back and complain that they didn't get those things, when with a little homework they would have known in advance. Princess has MUTS, fresh water pools, 24 hr dining and a more subdued, relaxing decor. I feel as if the food is better on Princess as well as the enteratinment, but that is subjective, of course. However, we don;t care for the things RCCL specializes in, so that makes our choice easier.

I will probably get slatted on this board for saying this, but having cruised with them both I would always now choose RCI.:o

Have sailed bothe the Princess CB and the RCI MOS both are clean and beautiful ships. Couple similarities and differences:

Food about the same on both in the dining room but with a definite plus to RCI for the buffet. Cabins about the same on both although Princess balcony bigger, bathrooms a bit bigger on RCI. No Smoking and No Reserving seats pretty strictly enforced on RCI and NOT AT ALL on Princess anywhere on the ship.

Biggest difference and by far the most frustrating was how problems were addressed. RCI generally quick and efficient to address any issues. Princess made an art form out of dodging, evading and outright refusing to answer any issues raised. At best they would fob you off to somebody else would would dodge the call/visit or claim to be unable to help either. I was yelled at/threatened and blatently discriminated against by Princess employees through-out the cruise. It was the worst vacation I have ever been on. After four letters from both myself and my TA all they ever did was offer a very piddly FCC.

Most posters here have pretty much touched on differences. We've been on both and have enjoyed both. We travel with our young son and RCI and Princess both offer excellent childrens programs. We like large ships and again both offer what we like. Food is good on both IMO. Entertainment same. Lately however the difference favors Princess for one reason, their mini-suites are cheaper.

There are many more similarities than differences between comparable Princess and RCI ships--best example is Coral/Island and Radiance class. You can't go wrong with either one. We choose by price and itinerary.

Les

Thanks so much for all of your responses. We are considering sailing on Dawn Princess - does this ship have MUTS? Cynbar mentioned considering what was important to us when cruising. I have never used the rock climbing wall, ice skating rink etc. We generally like the pools and activities such as trivia. We like to attend shows and people watch. My husband likes to be keept busy so it is very important that there are things to keep him busy. The RCI "compass" I think relates to the "Patter". Is this generally full of plenty of things to do around the ship during the day and night? Also are there ships categorised like RCI? eg I have sailed on Voyager class and Radience class ships. We are trying to figure out where Dawn Princess sits in the scheme of things.

We are considering sailing on Dawn Princess - does this ship have MUTS?

Hi Carly,

Dawn Princess is due to have MUTS fitted in June 2009; she will be in drydock in Brisbane then. The brochure says MUTS and 'the sanctuary' will be offered on all cruises from 20 June 2009.

Cheers.

I like both. Minor differences and they're more similar than different.

Princess food better IMO, DR and buffet

Princess buffet open longer (RC closed at 9)

RC shower "pod" better

RC has ice show

Princess has movies under the stars

Princess has aft pool I like a lot

Princess has auto tipping

Princess has guest laundry (I know most ppl don't care about that, but on a 7+ night cruise I do)

When you say auto tipping what do you mean? Is it like pre-paid tips on RCI? The guest laundry does make a difference on this cruise as it is a 13 nighter so that is a plus for Princess. MUTS sounds fantastic. With the dry dock are they refitting the cabins. From the Princess website they do look pretty outdated. We will be going for an inside cabin - if any one has a photo of an inside cabin on Dawn Princess that would be appreciated. Also what is "The Sanctuary".

Many thanks!!!

Carly

Hi all,

We have previously cruised with Royal Caribbean and are considering taking a Princess cruise in December 2009. A benefit is it leaves from Melbourne Australia (my home town) and it will be Australian currency on board. Given the current economy I think that will be a huge plus! My husband is concerned as we do love RCI and all it has to offer. If you can provide me any info on similarities/differences and pluses and minuses it would be GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks!

Carly

Having sailed 14 consecutive Princess cruises and then sailing on the Freedom of the Seas, I would sail either line again in a second. I have cruises booked on both lines in the next 2 years and would choose price and itinerary over the cruise line. There are pros and cons to each, but not enough to keep me away from wither. I love both cruise lines very much and they both match my cruising likes.

CharliegirlAC:

Yes, it is similar to prepaid tipping, but on Princess you don't need to go to Guest Svs to set up or pay it in advance. It is automatically added to your shipboard account and you pay at the end (your cc is billed).

I should add that as long as you keep the auto tip in place, you can give a little extra to staff who have gone above and beyond, and they get to keep it. If you remove the auto tip so you can tip personally, staff has to report this and turn it into the pool.

.<<snip>>.... We will be going for an inside cabin - if any one has a photo of an inside cabin on Dawn Princess that would be appreciated. .<<snip>>

Carly

We were in an inside on the Ocean Princess (twin of the Dawn) years ago and that was the WORST cabin we have ever been in. Tiny and poorly laid out. You should check the ships floor plans on the web and if your cabin has a wedge pushed in from the corridor that is a storage area for the crew supplies which will make a small cabin even poorer with usable sq. ft. of 110. IF DW was sitting at the makeup desk and I had to use the bathroom she practically had to go stand by the cabin door for me to get by.

With the dry dock are they refitting the cabins. From the Princess website they do look pretty outdated. We will be going for an inside cabin - if any one has a photo of an inside cabin on Dawn Princess that would be appreciated. Also what is "The Sanctuary".

I don't know what else they are doing in drydock, but it is "out of action" for 12 or 13 days so you might be lucky. The two changes I have mentioned involve structural changes to the ship, so they need a bit of time for that.

The Sanctuary is an "adults-only retreat", with spa services etc.. There's a photo in the Princess 'Premium cruising from Australia' brochure that you can pick up from any travel agent - 100% female clientele, bathrobes, smiles, lots of fruit and tall drinks, massages happening in the background. Press release here: http://www.dawnsunprincess.com.au/html/press-releases.cfm?prID=princess-cruises-adds-trademark-sanctuary-to-all-ships-by-popular-demand.cfm

On the cabins, I understand RCI interiors are slightly smaller than Princess, but not by much - they are all tiny, around 145 sq feet max (14 sq metres :eek:). A really tiny studio apartment (on land) is over 20 sq metres.

Check out this website to compare the finer details of different ships: http://aa.cruises.com/c/cruisemain.asp

The other thing you need to consider is the costs - with RCI you deal in US dollars for everything, including all on-board expenses, shore excursions, tips, and taxes. Even if you pay your TA in AUD, until you have made the final payment you are at the mercy of currency fluctuations. With the two Princess ships based in Oz it is all done in AUD. RCI was "cheaper" when the AUD was strong, now Princess has the edge.

Cheers.

We were in an inside on the Ocean Princess (twin of the Dawn) years ago and that was the WORST cabin we have ever been in. Tiny and poorly laid out. You should check the ships floor plans on the web and if your cabin has a wedge pushed in from the corridor that is a storage area for the crew supplies which will make a small cabin even poorer with usable sq. ft. of 110. IF DW was sitting at the makeup desk and I had to use the bathroom she practically had to go stand by the cabin door for me to get by.

I have been in insides on the dawn and on the Freedom and the size was very similar. In general, inside cabins are small.

I have been in insides on the dawn and on the Freedom and the size was very similar. In general, inside cabins are small.

The Freedom insides are roughly 150 sq ft. The Dawn insides range from "125" to 135 sq ft. On the 4 Sun class ships, many of the insides are really small; the queen size bed takes up the entire cabin between the side walls and the insides with the broom closet v-shaped space extending into the cabin area push the front inside wall to within 3 feet of the bed. You obviously had a normal inside; ours was not normal and was extremely cramped. We usually go inside and have had plenty to compare with. Think of what a tooth looks like with the two roots rather than the usual rectangular area.

If you look at the plans on the web you can spot the bad cabins by the indents from the hallway pushing into the cabin. They are rated at 125 but only have 110 usuable.

The Freedom insides are roughly 150 sq ft. The Dawn insides range from "125" to 135 sq ft. On the 4 Sun class ships, many of the insides are really small; the queen size bed takes up the entire cabin between the side walls and the insides with the broom closet v-shaped space extending into the cabin area push the front inside wall to within 3 feet of the bed. You obviously had a normal inside; ours was not normal and was extremely cramped. We usually go inside and have had plenty to compare with. Think of what a tooth looks like with the two roots rather than the usual rectangular area.

If you look at the plans on the web you can spot the bad cabins by the indents from the hallway pushing into the cabin. They are rated at 125 but only have 110 usuable.

I still prefer the way Princess insides are setup with closets. I hate that Royals have doors that open up to the bathroom. Princess has an open closet... much better.

Really though... there is not much difference between these rooms.

Archived