Favorite things ...

DisneyJen

Thought maybe sharing some of our favorite things about SD might be a way to give us a breather from this economic storm we are facing ...

One of my favorite things about SD is the champagne and caviar splash! It's not just the wonderful food and tasty champagne ... it's the fun that the passengers and, just as importantly, the crew and staff seem to have as well.

My favorite things include the ride to the port just prior to embarkation and thinking of the old friends (crew, officers and passengers) that I'm going to see again and the new friends I'm going to meet. This is reinforced when I walk up the steps, set foot on Deck 3 and see the Captain, Activities Director and Hotel Manager all awaiting our arrival. Finally, I must mention how nice it is upon arrival, without my asking and regardless of whether we are in the Caribbean, Europe or even South America, to be handed a cold beer and always the same brand that I first requested more than 10 years ago!

Those are just a few of my favorite things.

Nice idea for a topic, DJ. Thanks!

My favorite things include the ride to the port just prior to embarkation and thinking of the old friends (crew, officers and passengers) that I'm going to see again and the new friends I'm going to meet. This is reinforced when I walk up the steps, set foot on Deck 3 and see the Captain, Activities Director and Hotel Manager all awaiting our arrival. Finally, I must mention how nice it is upon arrival, without my asking and regardless of whether we are in the Caribbean, Europe or even South America, to be handed a cold beer and always the same brand that I first requested more than 10 years ago!

Those are just a few of my favorite things.

Nice idea for a topic, DJ. Thanks!

Just as long as you don't sing that song from "The Sound of Music!":p

I figured we could all use a mental holiday from the real world.

Adding to your comments ctbjr ...

Knowing that once I step on board that I don't have to think about the real world ... I don't have to sign for beverages ... deal with crowds ... Sort of like a Disney World for adults:p

Thanks DJ:

Yes, we are certainly feeling poorer at this time. I hope our favorite cruise line makes it ok. My first favorite thing has to be the crew. They are what makes SD so special. The ships, while nice and impeccably maintained are somewhat outdated and would not seem special if the quality on board was similar to RCL, etc. The welcome and the service make the deal. Then the Splash. I sure feel the need for one right now!

Jim.

I love walking up the steps at embarkation. The first time, I didn't know exactly what to expect, but was totally thrilled with the experience! Capt., AD, HM, CHAMPAGNE, beautiful spa staff. Then, walking into the Main Salon and smelling that wonderful fragrance. Mmmmm. :) What's cooler, though, is walking up those steps the second time (embarking on our second voyage), knowing exactly what to expect and realizing that, yes, I'm home again. [Note to self: seasickness patches for voyage #3 prior to embarking :eek: ]

It's the adrenaline rush of knowing that it's me and my DH sailing on a yacht, where I can have anything my heart desires. And, I get everything my heart desires.

It's the buzz of excitement that circulates the entire ship on that first day.

It's getting to know the crew and meeting new, wonderful friends.

It's blogging my voyage from a sunbed, capturing every memory as it happens (and before it fades my mind, which is pretty darned fast :) ). Then, reading it on rainy, chilly days like today.

It's dressing nicely for dinner. Gourmet food, wine poured by someone else, dessert enjoyed every night (regardless of calorie/fat count), TOYB afterward. It's having my mimosa poured every morning before I ask for it. *wistful sigh* :) It's having a mimosa whenever I want it. *wistful sigh*

What I hate: disembarking. It makes me cry. :(

Great idea for a topic, DJ.

A warm day cruisng with nowhere to go but under an umbrella on a Balinese sun bed, no choices to make except for what to play on my iPod as I watch the waves pass by

If DJ's DH was reading this board instead of bowling in Sweden (I am serious!!) he would agree that this is one of his favorite things as well carlylecat! The only addition that he would make would have to do with something about his favorite beverage:p

Thanks DJ:

Yes, we are certainly feeling poorer at this time. I hope our favorite cruise line makes it ok. My first favorite thing has to be the crew. They are what makes SD so special. The ships, while nice and impeccably maintained are somewhat outdated and would not seem special if the quality on board was similar to RCL, etc. The welcome and the service make the deal. Then the Splash. I sure feel the need for one right now!

Jim.

The ship is "charming" Jim. :D At least that is what the real estate agents say when talking about a lovingly cared for older home!

I love walking up the steps at embarkation. The first time, I didn't know exactly what to expect, but was totally thrilled with the experience! Capt., AD, HM, CHAMPAGNE, beautiful spa staff. Then, walking into the Main Salon and smelling that wonderful fragrance. Mmmmm. What's cooler, though, is walking up those steps the second time (embarking on our second voyage), knowing exactly what to expect and realizing that, yes, I'm home again. [Note to self: seasickness patches for voyage #3 prior to embarking ]

It's the adrenaline rush of knowing that it's me and my DH sailing on a yacht, where I can have anything my heart desires. And, I get everything my heart desires.

It's the buzz of excitement that circulates the entire ship on that first day.

It's getting to know the crew and meeting new, wonderful friends.

It's blogging my voyage from a sunbed, capturing every memory as it happens (and before it fades my mind, which is pretty darned fast :) ). Then, reading it on rainy, chilly days like today.

It's dressing nicely for dinner. Gourmet food, wine poured by someone else, dessert enjoyed every night (regardless of calorie/fat count), TOYB afterward. It's having my mimosa poured every morning before I ask for it. *wistful sigh* :) It's having a mimosa whenever I want it. *wistful sigh*

What I hate: disembarking. It makes me cry. :(

Great idea for a topic, DJ.

No more thoughts of sadness .... Oh wait you don't want to hear me sing the greatest hits from "Phantom of the

Opera" do you?

I smiled when I read your comments Cammiem about embarkation the first time ... and then the next time ... and the next!

Let's keep cheering each other up by sharing:p

The CEO won:( ...and I came in 2nd:) ... but that's not important right now:p .

DJ is SOOooo right (you were right, Dear, I was wrong...)... I think our March '09 cruise on SD is one of the main things keeping DJ and I together, as my work is keeping us so much apart.

OK... so my favorite thing is sneaking a peak at my blackberry:eek: , and trying to balance work and play. There is nothing more relaxing, than having read 4-7 novels in a week, having a nice tan, and being caught-up on your email when you get back to the office:rolleyes:

This is probably my last post, as DJ will kill me when I get home tomorrow night (MUCH later tonight here in Sweden...)

DJ's DH

The CEO won...and I came in 2nd ... but that's not important right now.

DJ is SOOooo right (you were right' date=' Dear, I was wrong...)... I think our March '09 cruise on SD is one of the main things keeping DJ and I together, as my work is keeping us so much apart.

OK... so my favorite thing is sneaking a peak at my blackberry:eek: , and trying to balance work and play. There is nothing more relaxing, than having read 4-7 novels in a week, having a nice tan, and being caught-up on your email when you get back to the office:rolleyes:

This is probably my last post, as DJ will kill me when I get home tomorrow night (MUCH later tonight here in Sweden...)

DJ's DH[/quote']

So glad that you have learned, after almost 25 years of marriage, that I am right:p

ZQVol and FT are in charge of your Blackberry this trip. Be afraid ... be very afraid!

Have to agree with you that there is nothing better than seeing your spouse sporting a tanned (or at least his version of it) and being relaxed ... or as relaxed as a Crackberry can be:eek:

This is probably my last post' date=' as DJ will kill me when I get home tomorrow night (MUCH later tonight here in Sweden...)

DJ's DH[/quote']

Can't imagine that CEO winning and you coming in 2nd without an ulterior motive! If DJ didn't kill you last Friday, you must have done something really bad this week.:eek:

Back on topic -- watching a sunrise from the top deck, the never empty glass of champagne, eggs bennie every morning (unless we are in a US port, thanks to the US DOH), Perrier appearing magically, someone offering to clean my sunglasses every afternoon poolside, reflexology massage, Bvlgari lotion, the nightly cheese plate, Jes' degustation menu, but like others, the most favorite - the crew makes it the most special vacation on the planet.

FT

We can't wait for our March voyage and this thread makes me even more exicited! I'm not sure what makes these cruises so special, but if I had to vote in, it would be the great new friends we have made and look forword to seeing again!

We can't wait for our March voyage and this thread makes me even more exicited! I'm not sure what makes these cruises so special, but if I had to vote in, it would be the great new friends we have made and look forword to seeing again!

The friendships that we make on SD are special! We have several friends who we have met through SD ... some who will be joining us in March (which can't come fast enough!).

We have met lots of people during our travels but the SD ones are the only people who we have faithfully kept in touch with over the years.

DJ is SOOooo right (you were right' date=' Dear, I was wrong...)... I think our March '09 cruise on SD is one of the main things keeping DJ and I together, as my work is keeping us so much apart.

DJ's DH[/quote']

Hello, hello! Here speaks the swedes you met on SD 4 years ago. Might I ask what you mean when you say the CEO won.....??? As you know we had sad news yesterday concerning the company. Just wondering....... say hello to DJ from us. We are sailing SD again on Dec 4. Counting the days!

Siriann

Hello, hello! Here speaks the swedes you met on SD 4 years ago. Might I ask what you mean when you say the CEO won.....??? As you know we had sad news yesterday concerning the company. Just wondering....... say hello to DJ from us. We are sailing SD again on Dec 4. Counting the days!

Siriann

Hallå Siriann!

DJ's DH is on a plane on his way back to the US after a week of meetings in Sweden. His reference was regarding the game of bowling ... a team building experience after a very stressful set of meetings this week. The state of the economy around the globe is very sad right now.

So good to hear from you! Glad to hear that you will be returning to SD in December.

Staying with the theme ...

One of DJ's DH and my favorite things about SD is the ability to get into small ports and to stay in ports late. We fondly recall a trip to Foxy's on Jost with our new Swedish friends on our first SD cruise:D Everyone, including the crew who joined up at Foxy's, had a great night at one of the best beach bars in the world!

Sorry for off topic, but we will have a couple of hours to kill on Jost for a late lunch. Should we hit Foxy's or One Love (or both!)?

If you are talking about during a SD cruise, the beach BBQ, in concert with the Champagne Splash should be all you can eat and more.

Thought maybe sharing some of our favorite things about SD might be a way to give us a breather from this economic storm we are facing ...

One of my favorite things about SD is the champagne and caviar splash! It's not just the wonderful food and tasty champagne ... it's the fun that the passengers and, just as importantly, the crew and staff seem to have as well.

Thought for the day. You have not lost money till you sell. Also, turn off the tv talking heads. Have yourself a nice rum drink and look at your picture albums. Hopefully, by Spring, we will all be feeling better.

All the best,

Jim.

Thought for the day. You have not lost money till you sell. Also, turn off the tv talking heads. Have yourself a nice rum drink and look at your picture albums. Hopefully, by Spring, we will all be feeling better.

All the best,

Jim.

Excellent advice Jim! Now if I could just get DH to turn off his Blackberry when he gets home this evening:eek:

How about a Painkiller from the Soggy Dollar? That definitely qualifies as a rum drink! The bartenders on SD make an excellent Painkiller as well! Have to have the freshly grated nutmeg though.

Sorry for off topic, but we will have a couple of hours to kill on Jost for a late lunch. Should we hit Foxy's or One Love (or both!)?

Foxy's and One Love are in two different harbors on Jost.

Foxy's is in Great Harbor which is over the hill from White Bay where Sidney's, One Love and the Soggy Dollar and the Champagne and Caviar Splash are located. There is enough to do on White Bay with the splash, the beach bars as well as water sports to keep you busy.

If Jost is your last island before disembarkation that is where you will have the Champagne and Caviar splash as well as an incredible lunch.

Thanks! Will save Foxy's for another visit.

Not sure which island you visit before Jost. In the past, when we have been in Virgin Gorda the day before Jost, SD has arranged for the tenders to go to Foxy's in Great Harbor for an evening of fun for passengers and crew.

As a matter of fact, DJ's DH and I had a wonderful time at Foxy's with our Swedish friends baskis and her DH back in 2004! Actually we had a mini United Nations at Foxy's that night ... although I hope there wasn't any dancing at the UN like we saw that night:p

The day before Jost is Great Harbor, Peter Island. It appears to be closer to Jost than VG. But that would still be a 15 mile tender ride.

You probably will anchor off Deadman's Beach at Peter Island. It is a lovely spot.

Actually, they reposition the yacht and anchor off Great Harbor to run the tenders. I wouldn't be surprised at all to see the yacht moved from Peter over to Jost after dinner so the tenders can run.

In the past they have moved the yacht after dinner from VG to Jost.

A long-winded way to say that you very well may get to Foxy's this trip.:D

Archived