Camera Questions

We will be touring in Rome & Venice soon where I understand you are not allowed to take pictures inside some of the Cathedrals. I understand there will be security checks of pocketbooks, large bags, etc. just like in the States, but does anyone know whether you must check your camera along with the bag before entering? If so, how secure are these areas? Is it possible to just hand carry the camera in with you? I have a large (and expensive) new camera that I would prefer to keep with me even though I won't be taking any photos of the interior.

As far as I can remember, there are no restrictions about taking pictures, video or stills, in any of the cathedrals we visited. Yes, there were requests never to use a flash inside, but otherwise, nothing else.

The only ONE restriction was in the Sistine Chapel in the Vatican. Here, NO pictures of any kind were permitted. You could carry your camera around, but any attempt to use it brought a guard up behind you.....

We will be touring in Rome & Venice soon where I understand you are not allowed to take pictures inside some of the Cathedrals. I understand there will be security checks of pocketbooks, large bags, etc. just like in the States, but does anyone know whether you must check your camera along with the bag before entering? If so, how secure are these areas? Is it possible to just hand carry the camera in with you? I have a large (and expensive) new camera that I would prefer to keep with me even though I won't be taking any photos of the interior.

As our guide told us, Sony paid for the restoration of the Sistene Chapel ceiling and has copyrights for all pictures so no pictures are allowed there. One guard actually "got physical" with a tourist who did take a photo. He rushed him and placed the bottom of the palms of his hands on the man's shoulders and slightly pushed saying "NO PHOTOS" and then pointed over his shoulder to the exit. I did see others sneaking photos with their cell phones too.

They did allow pictures elsewhere in the Vatican Museum and St Peter's but requested no flash. Not many were honoring that request though.

At St Mark's, back packs and large bags are to be checked in a building to the left when facing the church. According to Rick Steve's that's a good thing because it gets you to the front of the line when going in. There was so much flooding in St Mark's Square the morning we were there that we couldn't even get to the church to go it so I don't know what the deal would be with cameras. Sigh.

As our guide told us, Sony paid for the restoration of the Sistene Chapel ceiling and has copyrights for all pictures so no pictures are allowed there.

It was actually Nippon that helped finance the restoration of the chapel. :)

You can purchase a wonderful book, full of much better pictures than you could ever take with a regular camera, there. This is how they are re-couping their costs for the project.

White flash is also not good for frescoes and other types of artwork. If they say not to use flash please don't, people ignoring that is what leads to the no pictures at all policy. I never get why people feel they must try to sneak pictures when there are signs saying not to.

There were only two places where I observed NO pictures were allowed. Accademia and the Sistine Chapel. There were many random stores where I wanted to take pictures of unique art work for sale that I was asked not to shoot. No where did I have any problem keeping my bag/camera with me at any chapel, Accademia, nor the Sistine Chapel. As others have mentioned the primary reason photographs are prohibited is that the museum has sold off the rights to the place for $$$$$$$$, rather sad I think. Our guide at the Vatican said that the Frescos had a coating on them to protect against further damage ( light, oxidation, etc. ) after the restoration.

As to whether people actually obeyed the no pictures is another story. The Sistine Chapel was packed and people everywhere were taking pictures with out flash, with flash, with cell phone and even videos too. Of course, the few guards there every few minutes would shout out "NO PICTURE ALLOWED" for better or worst nobody listened to them.

I agree with the other poster that flashes by many of the people there were very annoying, but we saw no one physically stopped, YMMV. It was so prevelant that the light from all the LCD added to the ambient lighting :D

Yes I did squeezed off a couple pictures at 6400 ISO ( no flash of course ) :o

No pictures are allowed inside the rooms of the Doges palace in Venice. You can take the camera round with you & take pics up the golden staircase or in the courtyard or leaning out of windows but no pictures allowed in the rooms.

Most other places its no flash.

jo

Archived