Info on Delta please?

terrierjohn

We just got our Princess flight indications for our March Panama cruise and we are due to fly with Delta from Manchester via Atlanta to LA on the way out, and Miami via ATL to MAN on the return.

Anyone got any views on Delta for us, what do we need to know and what potential problems could we have? Connection times both ways are just under 2 hrs. Luggage allowance seems more than adequate, we are allowed 2X23kgs each on all legs, which is way more than we need or want.

We are reasonably happy with the flights since there are no direct flights from MAN in either direction, and we prefer not to go via Heathrow, especially on the return.

I fly Delta about once a year. I am in their Frequent Flyer program. I like Delta. Can't think of anything to be aware of that is any different from any other airline. It is good your connection time is about 2 hrs. I prefer that length of layovers. Gives you time to walk around and grab something to eat. Plus it gives you some "padding" if your first segment runs a little late. Nothing worse that cutting it close and worrying if you will make it. Don't worry, you will be fine on Delta.

I fly Delta once a week. If you are a frequent flyer with them I suggest checking your reservations at least once a month. I am flying Delta next May to Europe. I booked my reservation back in May. My flight has changed three times already, they changed flight #'s, they changed aircraft, etc. Everytime Delta changes your itinerary you need to call and reconfirm. If you don't reconfirm, you may loose your seat selection. Delta is a well run airline. I like flying with them; but caution about your flight reservation. Anymore questions I will be glad to answer.

Cheers

My sister is joining us on our cruise and she is flying Delta from London so far they have changed her flight times about 15 minutes. We are also flying on Delta and meeting her in Atlanta I told her which flights to book and she has a 4 hr 45 minute layover in Atlanta as she did not want to be rushed going through immigration and customs. We are both flying down to Fort Lauderdale together.

I like Delta never had a problem with them.

Christine

I fly Delta once a week. If you are a frequent flyer with them I suggest checking your reservations at least once a month. I am flying Delta next May to Europe. I booked my reservation back in May. My flight has changed three times already, they changed flight #'s, they changed aircraft, etc. Everytime Delta changes your itinerary you need to call and reconfirm. If you don't reconfirm, you may loose your seat selection. Delta is a well run airline. I like flying with them; but caution about your flight reservation. Anymore questions I will be glad to answer.

Cheers

Thanks for the info, our flights are with Princess air so we don't have a firm reservation at present; but I can see that timings are already different to those just given us by Princess, and I expect they will change again before we get the reservation confirmed. No point yet in discussing the issue with Princess.

Is it worth joining Delta's FF programme just for these flights; it's unlikely we would ever build up enough air miles or points to get off the bottom tier so in this situation does having a FF card offer any advantage?

Yes, you should absolutely sign up for their frequent flyer program.

In irregular ops situations (where things start to go wrong), being a member of their frequent flyer program even without having any status, can give you a slight advantage over someone without one.

We just got our Princess flight indications for our March Panama cruise and we are due to fly with Delta from Manchester via Atlanta to LA on the way out, and Miami via ATL to MAN on the return.

Anyone got any views on Delta for us, what do we need to know and what potential problems could we have? Connection times both ways are just under 2 hrs. Luggage allowance seems more than adequate, we are allowed 2X23kgs each on all legs, which is way more than we need or want.

We are reasonably happy with the flights since there are no direct flights from MAN in either direction, and we prefer not to go via Heathrow, especially on the return.

You will have to HUSTLE in ATL on your inbound flight. You have to clear immigration, customs, recheck luggage through the transit desk, get through security, and make it to your gate. ALL in about 2 hours. Hopefully the plane is on time inbound. Please look at airport maps to familiarize yourself with the layout.

Delta is notorious for many schedule changes. And with the Delta/NW merger a strong possibility, who knows what will happen to the schedule???

IF there is any possibility of changing the inbound connecting flight to LAX to a later one, take it. ATL is a HUGE airport, immigration can be painfully slow at times.

There are a lot of daily flights to LAX from ATL, BUT: There is only ONE nonstop on Delta from Manchester per day. AFAIK, it arrives about 3:20PM. So you are most likely connecting to the 5:30PM nonstop to LAX. There is also a 6:55PM nonstop, as well as a 9:15PM nonstop. You essentially have two more chances to make it to LAX the same day if you misconnect. I would feel more comfortable if you rebook on the 6:55PM flight. Gives you a little extra time for glitches.

PS-Why don't you just book the flights directly with Delta??? For most of March, tickets are pricing out less than $900.00US, less than $800 on the weekdays. Same flights as Princess (since there is only one flight per day from MAN to ATL).

There are a lot of daily flights to LAX from ATL, BUT: There is only ONE nonstop on Delta from Manchester per day. AFAIK, it arrives about 3:20PM. So you are most likely connecting to the 5:30PM nonstop to LAX. There is also a 6:55PM nonstop, as well as a 9:15PM nonstop. You essentially have two more chances to make it to LAX the same day if you misconnect. I would feel more comfortable if you rebook on the 6:55PM flight. Gives you a little extra time for glitches.

PS-Why don't you just book the flights directly with Delta??? For most of March, tickets are pricing out less than $900.00US, less than $800 on the weekdays. Same flights as Princess (since there is only one flight per day from MAN to ATL).

Our Princess booking is all inclusive and, as well as air, it includes an overnight hotel in LA, all fuel surcharges, all port fees, Princess transfers, day room in Miami on the return and ABTA/ATOL cover. I checked out the open jaw tickets before we booked and adding a cruise only price via either a US or UK TA there was little difference; it galls me to admit it but this is one case where the Princess UK price cannot be bettered by using a US TA.

Our Princess booking is all inclusive and, as well as air, it includes an overnight hotel in LA, all fuel surcharges, all port fees, Princess transfers, day room in Miami on the return and ABTA/ATOL cover. I checked out the open jaw tickets before we booked and adding a cruise only price via either a US or UK TA there was little difference; it galls me to admit it but this is one case where the Princess UK price cannot be bettered by using a US TA.

You are in the UK and have all kinds of protections on your cruise/air tickets that are NOT available to US pax. So stick with your cruise air tickets. BUT ask them to change the LAX connecting flight to the later flight. You will be MUCH happier, rather than trying to get through immigration/customs, recheck luggage, get through security and find your gate, all in about 2 hours. If you miss the earlier flight and by chance the later flight is full, you will be spending the night in ATL, NOT LA.

You are in the UK and have all kinds of protections on your cruise/air tickets that are NOT available to US pax. So stick with your cruise air tickets. BUT ask them to change the LAX connecting flight to the later flight. You will be MUCH happier, rather than trying to get through immigration/customs, recheck luggage, get through security and find your gate, all in about 2 hours. If you miss the earlier flight and by chance the later flight is full, you will be spending the night in ATL, NOT LA.

Definitely something I will consider as it gets nearer to Princess firming up the air reservations, if the timings are still the same.

Get the DL Skymiles FF account. Consider the FF miles a form of rebate on your ticket. Just keep the account active (see the DL expiration rules). Even if you never use them, better to get them in the first place just in case.

Also, having a FF number makes accessing records online easier.

When in Atlanta be sure to find your departure gate before stopping for a meal, snack, etc. I find it very easy to navigate but like someone else said, it is huge and it can take you a little longer than expected to actually find your gate. There are shops, food court, etc. in every terminal so you can get to your gate then determine how much time you have to look around.

Archived