Cruiselines with the Best Mannered Passengers?

Boo Boo

That's a GREAT story.

By the way, AkaWanda and I went on our first Transatlantic cruise last year, we spent a few days in London pre cruise. We loved it, had a wonderful time and would go back if we could change the flight to maybe 3 hours. Business class BA was bs. ok, enough said.

I LOVE long flights - to me they are actually a lot better than short flights... :)

That's a GREAT story.

I gotta go with dough. Honestly, trying not to snob here but you don't see well cultured men wearing ball caps in dining rooms.

I sort of know what you mean, but cultured/"well dressed" is less important than good manners to me. Ok, well dressed would be LOVELY too... BUT people just being nice and respectful to each other (and the crew) just makes the world feel SO much better...

I know what one of you have said - about just ignoring bad behaviour - is really the best way forward, but it can be hard to ignore sometimes... :(

Boo

The common denominator for better manners on cruise ships does seem to be the size of the ship. I've been on just about every line out there, from the biggest behemoths of Cunard and RCCI to the smallest ships of Seabourn/Sea Dream and I can say that in this case, size does seem to matter. I've encountered very few rude and mannerless passengers on the smaller, luxury lines, while the number of boors goes up on the mass market behemoths. Yes, I know the larger number of passengers does increase the chances of bad behavior exponentially, but it seems that better manners and behavior does appear to go hand in hand with the smaller luxury lines.

If another passenger is rude to me, I can always let them know how I feel in no uncertain terms. What bugs me the most is how some passengers treat the crew, who cannot respond to their rudeness. It especially bugged me on HAL cruises where most of the crew are from the Philippines or Indonesia. These crew members would bend over backwards for passengers and still be treated like dirt by some passengers. I make it a point of always saying please and thank you whether I'm talking to the maitre'd or the guy who collects the dirty dishes. I have never been treated rudely by any crew and have always had my requests taken care of, except, of course, at the purser's desk, but that could take up a whole thread.:D I also agree that the smaller the ship and longer the cruise, the better mannered the passengers.

Perhaps if you tried a cruise line that caters to non-Americans.

Actually, that would drive you equally as crazy because manners differ all over the world. Each country has its own rules for things like waiting in line, etc. Ever been on a cruise with Koreans? They don't know anything about waiting in line and waiting their turn. They just push right through to the front of the line.

Normally I would be the first to jump on the rude Americans bandwagon but I do have to say that on my NCL Star cruise last week everyone was in such a happy mood and so much fun to be around. The good vibes were just flowing all around and it did restore my faith in the American people. After eight years here, I was getting a little jaded but really, these people were all an absolute delight to be around and I had a wonderful, wonderful time. Can't wait to get on the next one but I have to say- the bar has been raised pretty darn high!!!!:D

Actually, that would drive you equally as crazy because manners differ all over the world. Each country has its own rules for things like waiting in line, etc. Ever been on a cruise with Koreans? They don't know anything about waiting in line and waiting their turn. They just push right through to the front of the line.

My dad used to sell real estate and had a Korean that called him at 2.30 in the morning like it was normal. After a twelve hour day, Dad was a little cranky!!:D To us- rude. To them- normal. Just how it goes.

Seems that elevator etiquette is a thing of the past. My DH and I remember being taught by someone (parent, teacher, boss?) that there are definite rules regarding elevator behavior, ie:

l. Allow passengers to get off before you

try to get on.

2. Step to the rear of the elevator.

3. Turn and face front

Is it because many of these cruisers have never been in an elevator? Because the big department stores with many floors have disappeared in malls? Because they have never visited an office on the 12th floor? Because their parents had never been in an elevator? Because some people are still afraid of elevators?

It's a puzzlement !

As to "I want" vs. "I need.....there are many cruisers who are intimidated by the entire experience, IMHO. There is absolutely nothing unmannerly about asking politely for something to be corrected if it isn't to your liking, or asking for something you would like to have (special pillows, robes, blankets, ice) in your cabin, or requesting something politely in the dining room (a second serving, a larger portion, a special item).

A smile, and warm nature goes a long way. Please and Thank You are musts for everyone.

Getting ready to sail on 10/17.

Marilyn

to start there are rude people everywhere, we travel a lot to different countries each have a set of rules of public behavour ( some non exsistant ) having said this it is always a pleasure to travel with americans, as on the whole they have the best manners in a crowd situation. ( there are exeptions and they fall into the same cat as other ill mannered people). as some posters mentioned europeans ( we live in europe) in a crowd situation are deplorable. having lived here for well over 30 yrs my theory is, if one shows consideration and manners it is perceived as a sign of weakness and you deserve to be pushed aside for not claiming your rights in soceity. the opposite was on our first carib cruise where 90 % of the passengrs were from the US what a pleasure it was, not to be elbowed and pushed and we kept remarking on how noticble the difference between travelling with europeans. another point is when people travel together in large groups they all cling to each other like a human chain lest one gets lost and woe betide anyone trying to interfere with the chain. any nationality in large groups are loud and noisy with no exception and more annoying if you dont understand what they are saying then it just becomes a neverending purgatory. Bad manners are my pet hate and sadly have to admit that, I too, have had to lower my standards of acceptance to remain sane as not to jepordise my interaction with fellow beings.

I tend to agree with the posters who feel that ship size has much to do with how well-mannered the pax are. I've been on cruise ships ranging in size from almost 4000 (RCI Voyager) down to 140 (Windstar's Windstar), and many sizes in between, including 330 (Regent's Paul Gauguin) and 1800 (Celebrity's Mercury). The level of politeness was 100% tied to the size of the ship. And keep in mind that the smallest ship I was on was NOT the most expensive line!

The bottom line is, when you are on a ship where you're probably going to get to know almost every passenger on a first-name basis, you tend to be a bit better behaved than when you're on a ship where it's possible you won't even see the same faces twice.

I also have to concur with Marilyn's (Luckyladym) puzzlement over elevator behavior. I have NEVER seen elevator behavior like I have on large cruise ships! I work in a multi-floor office building and use elevators every day, and nobody here at work seems to have any trouble figuring out the basic common-sense concept that you kinda hafta wait for the folks ON the elevator to get OFF before you start cramming your way in there! Yet on cruise ships, it's pretty much par-for-the-course that you're going to have to fight your way off the elevators any time there's a crowd. I would love to see an actual socioligical study about cruise ship elevator behavior. :rolleyes:

I'm sorry to say, I'll be traveling with a bossy demanding person who won't treat the staff well. If you think it is hard to share a cruise ship with these people, imagine how hard it is to have someone like this in the family. Last year we did overlapping vacations and I only had to deal with him for 2 days, and I couldn't make it through the second day - had to take off on my own after awhile. Some people are just bossy and demanding, they always have to be "in charge". You'll find people like that in all income brackets and on ships of any size, unfortunately.

(Note to self: Take the stairs!!!)

Sad to say it's a sign of the times. Society has become very selfish, of course there are those who do feel a social responsibility of kindness. I believe people learn bad behavior. Unfortunatly we have to deal with them. I think there are courtous people on the cruise ships and rude people, as everywhere, just try to let it go and not ruin your vacation. julie:)

Sad to say it's a sign of the times. Society has become very selfish, of course there are those who do feel a social responsibility of kindness. I believe people learn bad behavior. Unfortunatly we have to deal with them. I think there are courtous people on the cruise ships and rude people, as everywhere, just try to let it go and not ruin your vacation. julie:)

I do believe that for the most part and almost get depressed wishing I was born many years ago. And then I saw the movie "Titanic", became obsessed with it and did research on the real incident. Did you know that when 1500 people went into the sea, of 30 lifeboats floating nearby only own bothered to come back to try and save some people? It should also be noted that the boats were drastically under-filled and capable of holding around 70 men, yet some held just 12-20 people. They reference this in the movie and after some thorough studying up on it, I have found this to be very close to the truth. So I guess maybe we are not all that bad these days. I am certainly not disagreeing with what you said but just want to say that every time I feel sad and imagine how better it would have been years ago, I think of that and in a strange way it makes me feel a little better. I've also been barelled over and insulted by a few elderly people who were born years ago in a different time and really should know better. Society as a whole does need a big improvement. Always has and always will.

The bottom line is, when you are on a ship where you're probably going to get to know almost every passenger on a first-name basis, you tend to be a bit better behaved than when you're on a ship where it's possible you won't even see the same faces twice.

I must agree with this and the OP that said that you can tell if a person is polite by observing their behaviour with the crew. I was told by my cabin steward I like you because you talk to me". I have been so upset and saddened that anyone would not say a few words to the person that looks after many of their needs.

Fran

If you really want to wittness rudeness, try traveling with a wheelchaired handicap person. After waiting through 2 elevators because we were totally ignored and these neanderthol people would just cut infront of us as we were trying to get on. After the third attempt when 4 grown women looked straight at us and went around as my traveling companion was trying to drive her tiny scooter in. Well I jump in the elevator and told one large women that had just planted herself right in the middle in front of the door that she was just going to have to move it over because we WERE coming in. They had the nerve to look at me like I was insane, I just stared them down and again told them to move it to the side or get sore toes because this chair was coming in. I hate that I had to act that way but we would not have ever made it anywhere.

If you really want to wittness rudeness, try traveling with a wheelchaired handicap person. After waiting through 2 elevators because we were totally ignored and these neanderthol people would just cut infront of us as we were trying to get on. After the third attempt when 4 grown women looked straight at us and went around as my traveling companion was trying to drive her tiny scooter in. Well I jump in the elevator and told one large women that had just planted herself right in the middle in front of the door that she was just going to have to move it over because we WERE coming in. They had the nerve to look at me like I was insane, I just stared them down and again told them to move it to the side or get sore toes because this chair was coming in. I hate that I had to act that way but we would not have ever made it anywhere.

How disheartening to hear this. :( I'm sorry that you and your friend experienced this. Well, let me just say this: hopefully your post here has reminded a few dozen people to take a moment to think of the handicapped people we encounter, and give a little extra courtesy. So maybe you helped a few people today. :)

If you really want to wittness rudeness, try traveling with a wheelchaired handicap person. .

On my past CB cruise, I had to use a wheelchair (which Princess provided for free, for the entire cruise :)) because the day before I slipped while having a pedi done. :rolleyes: Broke three toes. :eek:

Anywho, I got first hand how it felt to be in a handicap position.

Everyone on board allowed us to enter the elevators first, taking up precious space with the wheelchair and kindly waited for the next elevator.

Pax were extremely thoughtful.

DW suffers from MS and often uses a chair or walker depending on sea conditions and we have run into some of what you describe but for the most part I am happy to say that we have found people to be pretty courteous.

my friend suffers from parkinsons and hates when she has to use a chair. She rented a very small scooter just so I would'nt have to push her. She trys to walk as much as she can but somtimes its just to tiring. We did have some courteous passengers but sadly the were not the norm on this trip.

LOL And I know you meant it. Especially noticeable in foreign countries where some Americans want everything to be Americanized. It is their right.:rolleyes:

My wife and I find American cruisers extremely friendly and courteous - we steer clear of British cruise lines. However, American expectations of service are different to ours and I've seen servers treated as slaves! Not nice.

Re your point on Americanization, in Rome, our hackles rose when someone shouted in a pizzeria "Do you speak American?" Has the US version of our language become so different from English that it has become a language in itself? :) LOL

Archived