Cruising on the Oriana!!

chaz cruiser

Hi All,

I have booked a quickie (two nighter) on the Oriana from Sydney to Brisbane. I know this is not a P&O Australia cruise but I am sure a few people here have been on her. Any tips or tricks would be appreciated especially as we have such a short amount of time on board.

Thanks,

Charmain:)

bump!!

Surely someone has something to say!!

Cheers,

Charmain

Funny you should mention the Oriana, as my sister is visiting at the moment and was sharing her experience on the Oriana. She went as a sprightly 18 year old, ( now 45) and was saying that they had to share communal bathrooms back then. I think things may have changed somewhat since then but you needed an answer and I thought that might be interesting. Happy Cruising

Sonja

bump!!

Cheers,

Charmain

No, we're all seething with jealousy :)

Acutally, we looked at those Oriana short sectors, and the Arcadia ones, but they're a bit too close to our Pacific Sun cruise - and we have issues with getting annual leave - Martin's running out!

Hi All,

I have booked a quickie (two nighter) on the Oriana from Sydney to Brisbane. I know this is not a P&O Australia cruise but I am sure a few people here have been on her. Any tips or tricks would be appreciated especially as we have such a short amount of time on board.

Thanks,

I cruised on Maiden World Voyage from San Fran to Brisbane. WONDERFUL in every respect :D Very easy to get around with most Bars/Lounges off Promenade Deck....I think :confused::confused:.C'mon - can't recall everything from 1996!

Staterooms were roomy (I shared 4-berth inside)....everywhere appeared spacious. Menu was superior to that experienced on Sapphire Princess 2/2/08 and service in all areas fantastic.

I'm envious...wonder if there's still space;)

You won't want to disembark in Brisbane!

B E V

Hi All,

Thanks,

I cruised on Maiden World Voyage from San Fran to Brisbane. WONDERFUL in every respect :D Very easy to get around with most Bars/Lounges off Promenade Deck....I think :confused::confused:.C'mon - can't recall everything from 1996!

Staterooms were roomy (I shared 4-berth inside)....everywhere appeared spacious. Menu was superior to that experienced on Sapphire Princess 2/2/08 and service in all areas fantastic.

I'm envious...wonder if there's still space;)

You won't want to disembark in Brisbane!

B E V

bump!!

Having done a previous P&O UK World Cruise sector on the Aurora (Syd to SF last year) all I can say is be an Aussie. The UK cruises are a heap more formal than the local ones, but don't try to act like a pom. I used to delight in how many poms I could upset with my Aussie antics. I also made a heap of friends who loved the way I stuck it up the stuck up ones. ;-)

I am somewhat sad now. We had to cancel our P&O UK cruise on the Aurora next January due to illness. I was going to take my mother from Southampton to Sydney for her last cruise (she's 87) but she had a stroke not long after we did the Cherry Blossom cruise on the Pacific Sun earlier this year. :-((((

Hi All,

Thanks,

G'day Charmain,

You get off and we get on - bound for Singapore via Hong Kong and a couple of other places

Hope you have a ball, and as someone else said - watch all those Poms with their "stiff upper lips". :)

I'll be OK - I worked with Poms for over 7 years in SE Asia - got to know how to "take the mickey" out of them quite well. :p :D

As you know - it's a time honoured Aussie pastime. ;)

She went as a sprightly 18 year old, ( now 45) and was saying that they had to share communal bathrooms back then.

Just off topic for a second - I remember the communal bathrooms on the old Himalaya.

Boy, that was back in the dark ages - but fun nonetheless. :D

Chaz..did you know some P&O UK ships cabins inc Oriana do not have the prescribed Aussie shower? Like they just have Baths ? They were built for the Brits and as anyone would know who has travelled the UK, showers do not appear in every hotel, Pub or B&B bathroom, only the Barf.! You know the weekly bath !

You might have to choose your cabin carefully, maybe they have cabins with showers set aside for us showering colonials!

Maybe you could pop over to the P&O UK board and ask that sensitive question!

:confused: :p

And they use a lot of those baths to store coal in.

Methinks you are a bit of a "stirrer" Les. :p :) :D

Don't take any notice of him Charmain - they have a shower on every deck.

Also don't forget to sign the "bath book" or the purser will be on your case. ;)

Hi Charmain, Oriana is a truly lovely ship, well laid out, loads of space on the pool deck, in the bars etc, all rooms lead of a passageway so there is no walking through one room to get to another, We are on for a short sector in 2006 and went back this year for 5 weeks round asia back to Oz, the refit has made her even better than she was before. Most cabins do have baths and showers over them, we had one this time with just the shower, but for just 2 nights you will just get what they give you as we did in 2006. There are some good videos of her on youtube, particular a recent one by guys called Coleman Heald, shows the rooms etc, check it out, 2 nights will just make you want to go again for longer. We have been looking at trying to get a short sector in 2010 on Aurora as we haven't been on her and everyone raves about her too.

I may be a bit of a stirrer Chaz..but being a cruise freak like most of us on here..one reads about these things. Why not take my advice go over to P&O UK board and ask the question 'Does the Oriana have showers in every cabin? I am sure the Poms, sorry Brits will give you an answer. They might even tell you they have soap too!

:confused: :D :eek:

Archived