Need Advice on Ruby

Destin dreamer

I would like some advice on my upcoming cruise on the Ruby! My family has cruised before on the CP her first year. This trip gave us the cruise bug! We had a wonderful time and loved every minute of it. Last year we decided to go on Celebrity Millie. for our 15th anniversary. Big MISTAKE. We were looking forward to a romantic cruise together but the ship was very outdated and worn and 90% of the passengers were 80 yrs old+. We were the only ones in the bar before dinner. The crew did not even put any music on in the bar since no one was in there! We are not party goers but we like to have a glass of wine before dinner in a nice atmosphere then enjoy a good meal together. We like the Ritz Carlton for our land based vacations. After that cruise I am very nervous about cruising again but the Ruby has caught my eye since they are advertising this ship as a romantic cruise. We are planning to go in Jan. which I know is more likely to have a older crowd. We prefer ages 35-65. RCCl Independence of the Seas is also sailing at the same time but I am wondering if this ship and food would be as nice as we like. I know the passengers would younger.

Any thoughts or suggestions!!!!!

Just my opinion, but if the Ritz Carlton is one of your favorites, I would look into Regent cruises or possibly Crystal. It would probably fit you much better than either Princess, Celebrity or RCI.

But, ususally, the more expensive the cruise, the older passenger load you will find.

The Ruby doesn't debut until November, that will be her first cruise, so any advice here would be from a sister ship as no one has sailed on the Ruby yet.

Well, you don't say exactly when you are cruising, but we will be on the Ruby in January, we are planning on enjoying a few cocktails in the lounges and a lot of the entertainment, and (without giving our exact ages) we are in the age demographic you are looking for. We are Elite on Princess and have always found a nice cross section of ages, so I think you should be fine. We have not liked RCCL so much, the promenade and big atrium and sports options don't do much for us and I have never felt the food and entertainment are as good, but of course that is subjective. I think you should be fine ---- but it won't be exactly like the Ritz Carlton, that's a lot to ask of one of the mass market cruise lines.

I have thought about the lines that you mentioned but after alittle research I think the age would be older than we prefer. (we are 39 & 40)

We loved the Carribbean Princess and Disney Cruise with our son. We sailed the CP in May so there were plenty of younger passengers. But we are planning on going without our son in Jan. I know that on our past celebrity cruise there was a very large group of guests that were traveling together that were very old. Is there any way to find out which if any large groups have reserved space on a ship? Also do the new ships tend to attract a younger passenger?

My hubby and I will be on the Ruby in January for our very first cruise. We are in our early 40's. So here's two more folks that will be on the cruise and not in our 80's. (though I sure hope I'll still be cruising in my 80's);)

If you liked your Crown cruise I can't see why you wouldn't like Ruby.

You know exactly how Princess operates.

What Princess offers.

Dining - Entertainment - Food - Etc.

However, I think cruising during certain times of the year have a great baring on the age factor.

Most working people can not cruise - whenever.

They choose to cruise during holiday breaks that coincide with school calenders. Being most 35-65 yr olds are rearing children.

Cruises that do not fall into holiday breaks

that's where you'll see a higher percentage of pax in their "golden age".

But, no matter when you cruise, you know you'll have a great time aboard the Ruby. :)

It beats working anyday!!!! :D:D:D

I would like some advice on my upcoming cruise on the Ruby! My family has cruised before on the CP her first year. This trip gave us the cruise bug!

Any thoughts or suggestions!!!!!

If you loved the Caribbean Princess (which is abbreviated CB, by the way, not CP. Don't ask . . . ), you're sure to love the newRuby, which will have the enhancements that make her sisters, the Crown and the Emerald, such winners: a wine bar, the International Cafe with delectable food choices, a beautiful Crown Grill steak house, a very romantic bar called Adagio . . . If it were a choice between a cruise on her and a Ritz-Carlton golf package, I'd definitely take the cruise -- and I say this having taken R-C golf vacations with my SO many times. There's nothing more romantic than being out at sea on a beautiful ship; hacking one's way out of a sand trap, not so much.

By the by, even though I'm between 35 and 63, and therefore one of the annointed, I, too, found rather offensive your implication that there's an age range which you could consider suitable as fellow passengers. Just because one has passed that magic 66th birthday, doesn't mean one isn't capable of being romantic. If you're worried about the lack of late-night options or music in bars, rest assured that Princess manages to continue the entertainment past sunset, even if the majority of passengers are drawing Social Security.

We are in our 60s and 70s and will be on the Ruby next year. IWe will go inside and hang ourselves immediately! Do you know how ridiculous you sound?

Bingo! believe me or not, I prefer to have older people on a cruise than younger ones who don't know how to behave. Maybe that's the reason that HAL is my favorite cruise line?

We are in our 60's now, but were in our 50's when we cruised on Princess, and loved her. We also cruised Millie in her inaugural season, and loved her. We found out on our first Princess cruise that the more 'exotic' the itinerary, the older the crowd. And the longer the cruise, the older. We just cruised Cunard, and loved it. We are looking forward to HAL next year. But I also cruise Carnival, because I can drive to Jacksonville in two hours, and can afford their single suppl. My body may be 64, but my mind isn't. We may be older, but we are still interesting. Try to get to know us, and you wil be amazed...EM

I do not mean to insult anyone. I am just trying to find the right cruise for us! I hope to be alive and well enough to be cruising at 80! But at 40 I do not want to go on a cruise filled with 21 yr olds (but at 21 I did) anymore than I want to be on a cruise filled with only 80+( at 80 that will be fine)! I hope you can see my point of view. I think that our celebrity cruise might have been unusually filled by 80+ due to the large group traveling together. There was no mix in age on that cruise. Please do not think that I have something against them, it was just the wrong cruise for our 15th wedding anniversary!

Destindreamer,

My husband & I will be on the Ruby in 3 weeks. so I will try to let you know how it is. I will be turning 56 & hubby is 61. On our last cruise, he base jumped from the Auckland Tower twice, we climbed the Sydney Harbor Bridge. We also ride Harleys. We have been on cruises & land tours with much younger & much older people. Some of them have become friends that we have traveled with again. We have been on both very expensive & very cheap trips. Your trip is what you make of it. I enjoy the anytime dining on Princess because it gives me a chance to experience the variety of people. Believe me, there have been some (both young & old), that I am glad I do not have to be around again!!

Archived