Fly to Barcelona or Rome?

calicruise74

Hi everyone,

I am in the midst of planning a European/Med cruise for Summer of 2009. We like itineraries sailing from both Civitecchia and Barcelona. Is one cheaper to fly into than the other? Say, from New York or LAX?

Thanks for any insight!

Let's see...to Rome from either LAX or NYC, or to BCN from either LAX or NYC. Sometime next summer.

Given the amount of info, I can most assuredly say: Yes, one of those four choices will be more expensive than the others. And LAX will be more expensive than NYC. Beyond that, you're the one who knows the details...plug in your possible dates and see what comes up.

You really are best to figure that one out, keeping in mind there are various factors that impact the fares and one day one might be cheaper and the next day the other.

If it was me and both itineraries were appealing I would look at the ease of flying to and from the ports of embarkation.

And, if you are driven soley by costs, keep in mind that the port that serves Rome is about a 90 minute drive from the airport so the price of local transporation will be high versus Barcelona which is about 30 minutes (possibly less) between the airport and the pier. Sometime folks forget about these costs which can add up.

Keith

Thanks. I realize I can plug in the dates and figure it out....I was just posting to see if anyone had any experience with one over the other.

And LAX will be more expensive than NYC.

Just throwing that in as an option....

Flights to Italy from the USA (doesn't matter which coast) are some of the MOST expensive flights to Europe. Right up there with Copenhagen.

IF you cruise out of BCN, you can fly nonstop LAX/JFK on a LARGE plane on AA, THEN nonstop AA to Barcelona. Very pleasant ride from LAX to JFK on AA. I fly it at least 6 times a year.

Flights to Italy from the USA (doesn't matter which coast) are some of the MOST expensive flights to Europe. Right up there with Copenhagen.

IF you cruise out of BCN, you can fly nonstop LAX/JFK on a LARGE plane on AA, THEN nonstop AA to Barcelona. Very pleasant ride from LAX to JFK on AA. I fly it at least 6 times a year.

That is very helpful information and what I was looking for. Thank you so much for your help! :)

And Keith1010, thanks for the info about getting to each port from the city...I actually didnt know about the distance from each.

Go to one or more of the online air booking sights and put in the dates you are thinking of. That will show you the CURRENT prices. Keep in mind that they are subject to change at any time.

Thanks again...I've booked many flights, just not to Europe.;)

Archived