Panamax cruise ships

CarnivalPride

Well, I don't know exactly where to put this thread, so I decided to put it here.

I was wondering, what cruise lines operate Panamax form factor ships? I personally like the sleek long and thin designs of Panamax ships, so I would like to know who operates such ships.

We all know that the Spirit Class ships are Carnival's Panamax ships. In the RCCL fleet, the Radiance Class are their Panamax ships. Princess operates two Panamax ships, the Coral Princess and Island Princess. Another set of Panamax ships include the Vista Class operated by Holland America, P&O Cruises, and Cunard Line.

Does anyone know of any others?

Disney's ships are Panamax. So are the Costa versions of the Spirit class. Celebrity Millennium class. I beleive NCL's newest ships, whose names escape me, are Panamax. For sure, NCL doesn't have any Post-Panamax vessels yet anyway.

Panamax is a term meaning that a ship is capable of fitting into the Panama Canal locks. With that in mind, just about all cruise ships with a GRT under 90,000 tons are Panamax. All Hal ships are Panamax, including the S and R Class; RCCI's Sovereign and Monarch of the Seas also. All Carnival Holiday and Fantasy Class are Panamax, etc, etc. It has been suggested that the term can also mean the maximum size a ship can be in order to fit into the locks. It would be interesting to know what those dimensions are.

Panamax is a term meaning that a ship is capable of fitting into the Panama Canal locks. With that in mind, just about all cruise ships with a GRT under 90,000 tons are Panamax. All Hal ships are Panamax, including the S and R Class; RCCI's Sovereign and Monarch of the Seas also. All Carnival Holiday and Fantasy Class are Panamax, etc, etc. It has been suggested that the term can also mean the maximum size a ship can be in order to fit into the locks. It would be interesting to know what those dimensions are.

From wikipedia

• Length: 294.1 metres (965 ft)

• Beam (width): 32.3 metres (106 ft)

• Draft: 12.0 metres (39.5 ft) in tropical fresh water (the salinity and temperature of water affect its density, and hence how deeply a ship will sit in the water)

• Air draft: 57.91 metres (190 ft) measured from the waterline to the vessel's highest point

all cruise ships except the Freedom Class RCL ships, the QM2 and a very few others are Panamax or smaller. as others have said Panamax means a ship that is the maximum limit for The Panama Canal. Post Panamax means its too big.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Panamax

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_cruise_ships

lists all ships and their tonnage with a link to most that shows length and width ...some say post or non panamax

all cruise ships except the Freedom Class RCL ships, the QM2 and a very few others are Panamax or smaller. as others have said Panamax means a ship that is the maximum limit for The Panama Canal. Post Panamax means its too big.

RCCL's Voyager class is also Post-Panamax.

At least until the Canal widening/deepening is finished and new locks are ready in about 7 years. At that time, I think every cruise ship on the planet (even RCI Oasis OTS) will fit and the definition of the term "Panamax" will probably be redefined. Maybe it will be Panamax I for the old locks and Panamax II for the new locks? :)

Ships such as Carnival's Holiday and Fantasy Class are not Panamax, they are sub-Panamax. Panamax ships by definition are the largest ships that can fit through the Panama Canal. Anything smaller is sub-Panamax, while anything larger is post-Panamax.

Some more interesting figures:

Largestship ever to transit the canal - USS Iowa 1/2 inch clearence on either side.

Cost for the Celebrity Summit to transit when I was n it 2 years ago -

$ 256,000 US

Most ever paid by a cruise ship $ 289,000 Coral Princess

Transits are booked and paid for a year in advance.

all cruise ships except the Freedom Class RCL ships, the QM2 and a very few others are Panamax or smaller.

Very few?

RCI has 5 Voyager class ships

Princess has 8 (soon to be 9) Grand and derivative class vessels.

Carnival has 9 Destiny, Conquest and similar classed ships.

Plus the P&O and Costa versions of those ships mentioned above as well as the new Celebrity ship. All told, approx 30 cruise ships too big for the current Panama canal.

Very few?

RCI has 5 Voyager class ships

Princess has 8 (soon to be 9) Grand and derivative class vessels.

Carnival has 9 Destiny, Conquest and similar classed ships.

Plus the P&O and Costa versions of those ships mentioned above as well as the new Celebrity ship. All told, approx 30 cruise ships too big for the current Panama canal.

still few...less than 50.....

Ships such as Carnival's Holiday and Fantasy Class are not Panamax, they are sub-Panamax. Panamax ships by definition are the largest ships that can fit through the Panama Canal. Anything smaller is sub-Panamax, while anything larger is post-Panamax.

They are also known as super Panamax.

Most ever paid by a cruise ship $ 289,000 Coral Princess

Just went through a couple of weeks ago aboard the Norwegian Pearl. They said the fee was $313,000 and is now the current record for cruise ships.

Apparently $317,000 is the record for ANY ship, in that case a large container vessel.

Archived