Does NCL have soda cards

jaw62901

From NCL's website:

Adult and Teen Soda Program (ages 13 and older)

Unlimited Fountain Soda

Includes: Coke, Diet Coke, Sprite, Ginger Ale, Tonic Water, and Soda Water

The entire cruise must be purchased. Non-Refundable.

Prepaid @ $6.25 per person per day x Cruise days plus 15% gratuity

and applicable taxes

Souvenir Thermal mug included in the purchase of the program

My main complaint with it is that a lot of the bar staff aren't terribly thrilled about serving you when you have it. If you walk up to the bar, they're usually ok. As far as having them bring you one in the theater -- it's been very hit or miss. Also, at dinner time, you may get one, but you're lucky to get a refill when the first one is gone. We've noticed that pattern on several ships, so I don't think it was just that we ran into grumpy servers.

My main complaint with it is that a lot of the bar staff aren't terribly thrilled about serving you when you have it. If you walk up to the bar, they're usually ok. As far as having them bring you one in the theater -- it's been very hit or miss. Also, at dinner time, you may get one, but you're lucky to get a refill when the first one is gone. We've noticed that pattern on several ships, so I don't think it was just that we ran into grumpy servers.

I had a similar problem on the Pearl in May, my wife does not drink alcohol or soda, only iced tea and water.

When they would ask her what she would like to drink and she says ice water, 5 out of 6 times they did not bring it to her. One time she asked for one and that server made sure to avoid our table the rest of the time (without bringing the water, of course) another server saw we had no drinks and asked us if we would like anything, she agian asked for a water and never agian saw that server.

They obviously have no interest in you unless there is a guarenteed "tip". Do they want me to give them a dollar when I order so they are sure they are getting something? Well, that may not work either as they already have the tip now (with a pay beverage they need the charge slip signed first).

My next cruise i'm going to make sure I note of the name on the nametag and give a list of names to the hotel director, daily.

I had a similar problem on the Pearl in May, my wife does not drink alcohol or soda, only iced tea and water.

When they would ask her what she would like to drink and she says ice water, 5 out of 6 times they did not bring it to her. One time she asked for one and that server made sure to avoid our table the rest of the time (without bringing the water, of course) another server saw we had no drinks and asked us if we would like anything, she agian asked for a water and never agian saw that server.

They obviously have no interest in you unless there is a guarenteed "tip". Do they want me to give them a dollar when I order so they are sure they are getting something? Well, that may not work either as they already have the tip now (with a pay beverage they need the charge slip signed first).

My next cruise i'm going to make sure I note of the name on the nametag and give a list of names to the hotel director, daily.

Good for you, that is exactly what you should do. There is no excuse for rudeness or overlooking someone. I wonder if these people realize, the person using the soda card might be part of a large group that also buy booze and tip.

Nita

That's a great idea! We've mentioned it on the comment cards and most recently in our "on line" survey that we received when we returned from the Dawn, but I hadn't ever even considered your option.

Our teens had "split" the passport thingy... I believe it was 20 non-alcoholic blended-type drinks.... I honestly forgot the price... at the time it worked out to maybe $2.25 each... they were quite large too. It was coupons-- so it made it easy-- if you didnt lose the coupons!

:) I know the staff is trying to make tips-- but no excuse to not bring a water! How terrible! Yes- report them! Just also remember the names of the nice ones who bring the water-- and report them as well!

I agree with the others that you should note their name and report them. There is no excuse for them to ingore you or not bring you a drink. I do think giving them a tip when you order would probably get you the drink (and I do think every one should tip when being served a drink no matter if it is a charge or not), but you should not have to do that to get a glass of water.

To the OP.. you might want to consider if the soda card will be worth it to you or not. One thing you are able to do is to bring your on soda's onboard. We always have the taxi stop at a mini mart or grocery store so we can go in and get soda's and bottled water and not have to lug it through an airport, etc. Even if you got soda's to bring on board and then purchased a soda here and there on the ship rather than going all the way back to your room to get a soda, it might be enough to save you some dollars as opposed to buying the soda card deal. The soda's , as of last May/June were $2.01 each, tip included. So it would take four soda's a day to make the soda card worth it.

Think about how many days you will be in port ~ port days for us are usually right after breakfast until just before dinner. It would be difficult to drink 4 sodas (per person) on every port day. Perhaps if you are just buying one soda card you could be OK with not drinking all 4 of your sodas daily. If you are buying soda cards for a family of 4 say and none of you are drinking 4 sodas a day (because you've spent the entire day in port at the beach) you feel like you've been ripped off.

I agree with the comments about the servers. They avoid you if you have a soda card. They might make your table once during dinner but they won't come back. THis is a big issue because Freestyle dinners in the dining room on NCL take a good 2.5 hours, painful hours and if you can't get a drink server to come back it is very frustrating. This has happened to me on several NCL cruises.

Think about how many days you will be in port ~ port days for us are usually right after breakfast until just before dinner. It would be difficult to drink 4 sodas (per person) on every port day. Perhaps if you are just buying one soda card you could be OK with not drinking all 4 of your sodas daily. If you are buying soda cards for a family of 4 say and none of you are drinking 4 sodas a day (because you've spent the entire day in port at the beach) you feel like you've been ripped off.

I agree with the comments about the servers. They avoid you if you have a soda card. They might make your table once during dinner but they won't come back. THis is a big issue because Freestyle dinners in the dining room on NCL take a good 2.5 hours, painful hours and if you can't get a drink server to come back it is very frustrating. This has happened to me on several NCL cruises.

4 sodas per day, I agree with you, that is a lot of cola or whatever, but I don't think some of us realize how much some can drink...

Nita

4 sodas per day, I agree with you, that is a lot of cola or whatever, but I don't think some of us realize how much some can drink...

Nita

Playing devil's advocate here, it's fairly easy for those of who don't drink alcohol or coffee.... :D I feel that same way about people who drink alcohol....

(No offense meant at all, and slightly TIC)

I think a big part of the card is convenience, so even if you don't use it four times a day, it's just the fact that you have it that makes it worthwhile. I've never used one myself because I drink caffeine free diet cola, which they don't stock, but a friend of ours had one on our last cruise and I never saw her have a problem with service at all. That being said, I agree that bad service should be reported. I hope everyone takes a tip from this thread - to note the name of your server. Whether they give you good service or bad, you at least know for reference (and there's nothing wrong with calling them by name when you thank them, either :) ). It's no different than taking someone's name when you're talking on the phone. It's just so much easier if you want to refer to them later - whether good or bad, you'll get further with a name than 'You know, the one with the brown hair in the ponytail...' :p.

Playing devil's advocate here, it's fairly easy for those of who don't drink alcohol or coffee.... :D I feel that same way about people who drink alcohol....

you know what? I was going to add that, for those of us who drink alcohol we don't think 4 drinks a day is all that much on a cruise. (well some of us) of course there are some who don't think 10 is too many. OMG....

Nita

What we need is a prepaid alcoholic beverage card!:D

Archived