Is Carnival an Italo-phile company?

CarnivalPride

I was always told that Carnival had a contract with the Italian officers' union (not the official name of the group I am sure) and that is why most/all officers were of Italian descent. The same source also told me price was a factor; British, U.S. and Indian ship officers are quite expensive.

Indian ship officers? I did not know India had ships...I thought all those folks knew about ships was how to take them apart when beached at Alang! Sorry but when I think of India, I think of my favorite ship the Norway (France) sitting on that filthy place called a beach and being taken apart by Indians with blowtorches to make manhole covers and razor blades!

Take a look at the photos on this link and you will see what I mean

http://www.midshipcentury.com/

I was wondering, is Carnival an Italo-phile company? Not that I have anything against Italy (I love Italian food), however, what makes me quite curious is that all of their capitans are Italian, and most of Carnival's ships beginning with the Destiny Class (save the Spirit Class) are built by Fincantieri of Italy.

Does it have anything to do with Costa's influence? Of course, not all of Costa's ships are built by Fincantieri, as they operate two Spirit Class ships (which were built by Kvaerner-Masa Yards - now Aker Yards - of Finland).

An "Italo Phile" is an admirer of Italy or it's people, language or culture".

Just because their Captains are Italian does not mean Carnival Cruise Corp.necessarily "admirers" Italians.

Hey, do you still have my email addy? We are doing a party bus in Coz with Tom... have a great day planned. We'll end up at C&C. Email me the hours you are going to be there and maybe we can hook up!!!

No, I don't have your email address. I'm sailing the 4 day by myself, and I'm doing the Sail, Snorkel, and Beach party. We're in Coz from 7 to 6. You can email me at lesliepackfan@yahoo.com.

Indian ship officers? I did not know India had ships...I thought all those folks knew about ships was how to take them apart when beached at Alang! Sorry but when I think of India, I think of my favorite ship the Norway (France) sitting on that filthy place called a beach and being taken apart by Indians with blowtorches to make manhole covers and razor blades!

Take a look at the photos on this link and you will see what I mean

http://www.midshipcentury.com/

Wow

Those are pretty harsh sentiments.. Perhaps you should read about the Royal Indian Navy and Marine...

Well, since you brought it up... I cannot stand Hartsfield Airport. It's a ridiculous exercise in futility having to change planes there. Almost as bad as the American Airlines section of DFW.

Never found ATL easy to navigate. To far from plane to plane. That's the only time I dropped my ticket, rushing from one plane to another at the other end of the place.

Never found ATL easy to navigate. To far from plane to plane. That's the only time I dropped my ticket, rushing from one plane to another at the other end of the place.

Way OT, but ATL is one of my favorite connecting airports. It's less than 15 minutes from anywhere to anywhere in the airport. It's simply laid out. Things almost always run smoothly and on-time there. I could see how it might seem overwhelming to the occasional user, though.

It is because you get more efficient passenger flow.

This is a similar comparison to airport designs. General consensus is that the Atlanta Hartsfield-Jackson International Airport is one of the most efficient designs for a major hub airport, which is why other airports (such as Denver International Airport) have copied ATL's design. Most people on these forums would agree that the Spirit Class ships have a more efficient passenger flow than the Destiny/Conquest/Splendor Class ships.

As a former flight attendant of twenty plus years and numerous trips to Atlanta (my sister lives there) . . . I personally think the airport in Atlanta is among the worst of all the airports I've flown in and out of in the world (not just the US). What I'd like to know is who made up the "general consensus" . . . :confused:

Archived