Is Carnival an Italo-phile company?

CarnivalPride

I was wondering, is Carnival an Italo-phile company? Not that I have anything against Italy (I love Italian food), however, what makes me quite curious is that all of their capitans are Italian, and most of Carnival's ships beginning with the Destiny Class (save the Spirit Class) are built by Fincantieri of Italy.

Does it have anything to do with Costa's influence? Of course, not all of Costa's ships are built by Fincantieri, as they operate two Spirit Class ships (which were built by Kvaerner-Masa Yards - now Aker Yards - of Finland).

I was wondering, is Carnival an Italo-phile company? Not that I have anything against Italy (I love Italian food), however, what makes me quite curious is that all of their capitans are Italian, and most of Carnival's ships beginning with the Destiny Class (save the Spirit Class) are built by Fincantieri of Italy.

Does it have anything to do with Costa's influence? Of course, not all of Costa's ships are built by Fincantieri, as they operate two Spirit Class ships (which were built by Kvaerner-Masa Yards - now Aker Yards - of Finland).

Working a bit backwards, Carnival uses Fincantieri because of a few key issues, price and quality... Financtieri and Carnival have been a very good fit.

I asked one of the Captains why all of the senior crew are Italian. He paused for a second and then cited Italy's rich seagoing history and the quality of the academies that sailors attend.

Bottom line, there was no single solid answer that he could give me other than 'we work well together'...

:)

Working a bit backwards, Carnival uses Fincantieri because of a few key issues, price and quality... Financtieri and Carnival have been a very good fit.

I asked one of the Captains why all of the senior crew are Italian. He paused for a second and then cited Italy's rich seagoing history and the quality of the academies that sailors attend.

Bottom line, there was no single solid answer that he could give me other than 'we work well together'...

:)

Well, regardless of manufacturer, Carnival needs to introduce more ships with full unobstructed decks like the Spirit Class. I wouldn't necessarily place the blame on Fincantieri for the flawed designs.

I have heard the same things. In fact, I believe it was on a in-cabin TV about the cruise line.

Well, regardless of manufacturer, Carnival needs to introduce more ships with full unobstructed decks like the Spirit Class. I wouldn't necessarily place the blame on Fincantieri for the flawed designs.

I see you've been on one cruise. How do you know that the other ships have flawed designs? I don't know why it's such a big deal to walk from one end of the ship to the other. I find non-Spirit class ships very easy navigate. I personally prefer the Conquest class ships to the Spirit class ships.

I see you've been on one cruise. How do you know that the other ships have flawed designs? I don't know why it's such a big deal to walk from one end of the ship to the other. I find non-Spirit class ships very easy navigate. I personally prefer the Conquest class ships to the Spirit class ships.

It is because you get more efficient passenger flow.

This is a similar comparison to airport designs. General consensus is that the Atlanta Hartsfield-Jackson International Airport is one of the most efficient designs for a major hub airport, which is why other airports (such as Denver International Airport) have copied ATL's design. Most people on these forums would agree that the Spirit Class ships have a more efficient passenger flow than the Destiny/Conquest/Splendor Class ships.

Most people on these forums would agree that the Spirit Class ships have a more efficient passenger flow than the Destiny/Conquest/Splendor Class ships.

I'm curious. Did you take a poll? Saying "most people", surely you have data to support that statement?

And sometimes, efficient is not the only criteria that should be used in making a judgement call.

The Arison family (Ted Arison was the founder of Carnival) is all red, white and blue.

As for the Italian influence; you'll find most of the worlds ships Captains are Italian, Greek, British. The reason is obvious. Those countries have had a close personal relationship with the sea, ships, exploration, sea battles, etc. for centuries. In those countries, involvement with the sea it a tradition that is ingrained in many people.

As for Fincantieri, they are one of the largest ship-builders/designers in the world producing about 40% of commercial and passenger vessels and 15% of naval vessels. Here's a little blurb on them....a little outdated, but info is good:

http://www.rand.org/pubs/monograph_reports/MR948/MR948.appi.pdf

I'm curious. Did you take a poll? Saying "most people", surely you have data to support that statement?

And sometimes, efficient is not the only criteria that should be used in making a judgement call.

Yes, I did a poll:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=829805&highlight=favorite+class

As you can see, the Spirit Class is the winner. The Conquest Class is a close second.

Yes, I did a poll:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=829805&highlight=favorite+class

As you can see, the Spirit Class is the winner. The Conquest Class is a close second.

That is hilarious!

I mean the fact that after seeing many people want facts and say things the way the other poster did to you... you actually had something to back up your opinion LOL

I didn't have a problem with the Conquest Class, I didn't find it all that hard to deal with, the only real weirdness for us was the crazy position of the Platinum dining room, but after the first day it wasn't a problem to find. The Lido was a little annoying though.

The spirit class was very nice, and I prefered it because of size more than anything.

MAC

I recall reading somewhere that either Fincantieri or the Italian goverment required that all Italian built ships' officers be of Italian birth and training.

...or at least have garlic breath :D

(Hey, I am a paisan, I can get away with it.)

Carnival's crew is the best, and it gives me a chance to try out Grandma's Italian (hope I don't curse by accidenti)

The Arison family (Ted Arison was the founder of Carnival) is all red' date=' white and blue.

As for the Italian influence; you'll find most of the worlds ships Captains are Italian, Greek, British. The reason is obvious. Those countries have had a close personal relationship with the sea, ships, exploration, sea battles, etc. for centuries. In those countries, involvement with the sea it a tradition that is ingrained in many people.

[/quote']Don't forget the Dutch....One of the reasons I was told is that (most lines use officers from the same country) is communication. Although in public and for ship to shore or off ship communication they usually speak the native tongue on the bridge. Less confussion.....;)

Carnival...Italians

HAL...Dutch

Princess...British

Celebrity...Greek

It is because you get more efficient passenger flow.

This is a similar comparison to airport designs. General consensus is that the Atlanta Hartsfield-Jackson International Airport is one of the most efficient designs for a major hub airport, which is why other airports (such as Denver International Airport) have copied ATL's design. Most people on these forums would agree that the Spirit Class ships have a more efficient passenger flow than the Destiny/Conquest/Splendor Class ships.

2 months here, and 1 cruise and you can say that "most people on these forums"??? Your poll would have to have many more participants, which it won't because "most people here" are polled out and have voted on that exact poll about 10x a month... There are plenty of people that don't like the crazy hallways on the Spirit class ships, the layout of the bars/clubs, etc. It's all in what you want as an individual, but shoving it down everyone's throats isn't going to change their personal opinion... nor is speaking for all of them.

Atlanta Hartsfield is a dump. That's my scientific opinion, but that doesn't mean others don't like it (although I think one has to be warped to want to do anything but avoid it :p LOL)

2 months here, and 1 cruise and you can say that "most people on these forums"??? Your poll would have to have many more participants, which it won't because "most people here" are polled out and have voted on that exact poll about 10x a month... There are plenty of people that don't like the crazy hallways on the Spirit class ships, the layout of the bars/clubs, etc. It's all in what you want as an individual, but shoving it down everyone's throats isn't going to change their personal opinion... nor is speaking for all of them.

Atlanta Hartsfield is a dump. That's my scientific opinion, but that doesn't mean others don't like it (although I think one has to be warped to want to do anything but avoid it :p LOL)

I love Atlanta Hartsfield, but u know I am definitely warped. Plus, the monorail is like being at Disney. :)

I love Atlanta Hartsfield, but u know I am definitely warped. Plus, the monorail is like being at Disney. :)

ATL is a POS :p LOL!!!! I avoid it at all costs... but hey, if they offered beers around the world I might enjoy it more :p LOL!!!!!

ATL is a POS :p LOL!!!! I avoid it at all costs... but hey, if they offered beers around the world I might enjoy it more :p LOL!!!!!

Well, since you brought it up... I cannot stand Hartsfield Airport. It's a ridiculous exercise in futility having to change planes there. Almost as bad as the American Airlines section of DFW.

Hartsfield Jackson (I was living in ATL when the "Jackson" was added and the surrounding controvery) is a PITA. Not that O'Hare isn't (try to fly Midway when possible), but I think ORD flows MUCH better than ATL because things are more broken up. Instead of one eternal security line, there are many different security checkpoints by airline. This makes the security line move quicker. Same thing with baggage claim.

And oh, the previously mentioned poll doesn't qualify as "fact." It's a completely unscientific poll, and live GC said, people have various reasons for prefering a ship class. Me, I like Conquest class better because I like the layout of the Lido restaurant better, and I prefer the bar/lounge layout on Conquest class. I couldn't care less about being able to walk front to back on one deck.

When Carnival began in the early 70's, all their ships were older and refurbished vessels and none of them were Italian built, so ship manufacture had nothing to do with it. Most of the cruise lines with notable great service on board had Italian staff, for example, Sitmar, Home Lines, Italian Line were noted for great service. Even Princess had Italian staffed dining rooms. They were just noted for warm and gracious service and it was assumed it would please passengers. By the way, the first few Captains at Carnival, were from the original Italian Line ( The Michaelangelo, Raffaello, and Leonardo DiVinci)Those were the ship names, not the captains names.

Archived