Is Carnival an Italo-phile company?

CarnivalPride

The Holiday was built in Finland I believe. Mardi Grass, Canivale, and Festival were built in the U.K. LOL...

To the O.P. You really have to try more than one ship. No ship is perfect. And there is often something unique about each ship (or class of ship) that I find cool...

I sort of like ships arround 70,000 to 90,000 GRT. Not too big. But I also really liked QM2 and I really want to go on the Splendor and the Dream when she comes out...

But I had a good time on the first Sun Princess @ 17,000 GRT, back in 1979...

And those Italians have such a good "hospitality" gene...

Tom in Long Beach

Two things...first I think that you all forgot to mention the many Norwegian Captains and Norwegian staff officers out there today on cruise lines such as Norwegian and Royal Caribbean - both lines have a histroy with Norwegian officers.

The other thing is the language used on the ship...I know that on Royal Caribbean and Norwegian ships the "official working language" on the ship is English. I remember being on the bridge of both Norwegian and Royal Caribbean ships and seeing signs that reminded crew that the working language is English...so I don't know if the positng about the Carnival Italian officers working on the bridge and communicating in Italian is entirely correct...off-duty I am sure they do speak Italian...but remember there are other crew members working on the bridge and the ship who are not Italian...prime example being that most of the ship's crew...security and able bodied seaman tend to be Philippino and do not speak Italian.:cool:

He doesn't it is an obsession check his posting history. :rolleyes:

LMAO Duck, Well put!!!

I recall reading somewhere that either Fincantieri or the Italian goverment required that all Italian built ships' officers be of Italian birth and training.

Just curious......

How could the Italian govt controll a ship built there after it leaves there and is "Flagged" in another country?

Im not arguing, Just asking??

2 months here, and 1 cruise and you can say that "most people on these forums"??? Your poll would have to have many more participants, which it won't because "most people here" are polled out and have voted on that exact poll about 10x a month... There are plenty of people that don't like the crazy hallways on the Spirit class ships, the layout of the bars/clubs, etc. It's all in what you want as an individual, but shoving it down everyone's throats isn't going to change their personal opinion... nor is speaking for all of them.

Atlanta Hartsfield is a dump. That's my scientific opinion, but that doesn't mean others don't like it (although I think one has to be warped to want to do anything but avoid it :p LOL)

OH Lucy,

I like your points.

And lets see...... You would be an expert on airports because?????

AHHHHH YES, its because you fly every month on multiple occasions.

AND have several cruises under you belt so to make an informed decision UNLIKE SOME ON THIS BOARD!

LMAO Duck, Well put!!!

Just curious......

How could the Italian govt controll a ship built there after it leaves there and is "Flagged" in another country?

Im not arguing, Just asking??

OH Lucy,

I like your points.

And lets see...... You would be an expert on airports because?????

AHHHHH YES, its because you fly every month on multiple occasions.

AND have several cruises under you belt so to make an informed decision UNLIKE SOME ON THIS BOARD!

LMAO! Yeah... purdy much :p

And as far as I can tell, using the OP's logic, almost everyone on this board agrees with me except for carnival pride and thirsty cruiser (and what does he know anyway?? :p LOL)

I just really can't believe there are people out there that make such a big deal about design... if you don't like it, go on another freaking cruise. You could throw me onto a floating maze and I would be happy :p If the design of the cruise ship you just went on and the nationality of the officers are your biggest problems, you've got it pretty good :rolleyes:

I see you've been on one cruise. How do you know that the other ships have flawed designs? I don't know why it's such a big deal to walk from one end of the ship to the other. I find non-Spirit class ships very easy navigate. I personally prefer the Conquest class ships to the Spirit class ships.

CarnivalPride is obsessed with the Spirit class ships and enjoys finding "flaws" in every other class - look at the posting history. :D Good for entertainment, if nothing else!

Methinks this particular poster knows very little of naval architecture.

CarnivalPride is obsessed with the Spirit class ships and enjoys finding "flaws" in every other class - look at the posting history. :D Good for entertainment, if nothing else!

Methinks this particular poster knows very little of naval architecture.

Well that is your opinon:p .................... And I happen to share it!;)

LMAO! Yeah... purdy much :p

And as far as I can tell, using the OP's logic, almost everyone on this board agrees with me except for carnival pride and thirsty cruiser (and what does he know anyway?? :p LOL)

I just really can't believe there are people out there that make such a big deal about design... if you don't like it, go on another freaking cruise. You could throw me onto a floating maze and I would be happy :p If the design of the cruise ship you just went on and the nationality of the officers are your biggest problems, you've got it pretty good :rolleyes:

Im with ya girl.....

A cruise is what you personally make it for yourself. It can be the most run and gun energy packed trip youve ever been on and it can be the most laid back, sun and read a book trip you have ever been on. Just pack me on the ship, ANY cruise liner, and I can be VERY content to the point of being Giddy happy! BUT thats just me. I choose to be happy most of the time and think others should try it once in their life!!!;)

I was under the impression the Arison family was Jewish -correct me if I am wrong but not necessarily Israeli ie born in Israel .

To be Jewish is a Faith to be Israeli means born in Israel...yes you can be Christian ,born in Israel and be an Israeli citizen

One can be true blue anything -American,Canadian or British -and religious affiliation should not come into play to describe a person

Maybe I misunderstood you but I felt you were saying because he is Jewish he was not true blue ...feel free to correct me if I am wrong

Religion has nothing to do with nationality and people should know the difference

Sorry if I am miffed ...throughout my life I was asked what Nationality I was when individuals really wanted to know my faith -as if that were a barometer of something ....so I do take these inuendos personally!!!

Michele

Hartsfield Jackson (I was living in ATL when the "Jackson" was added and the surrounding controvery) is a PITA. Not that O'Hare isn't (try to fly Midway when possible), but I think ORD flows MUCH better than ATL because things are more broken up. Instead of one eternal security line, there are many different security checkpoints by airline. This makes the security line move quicker. Same thing with baggage claim.

And oh, the previously mentioned poll doesn't qualify as "fact." It's a completely unscientific poll, and live GC said, people have various reasons for prefering a ship class. Me, I like Conquest class better because I like the layout of the Lido restaurant better, and I prefer the bar/lounge layout on Conquest class. I couldn't care less about being able to walk front to back on one deck.

Hey girl! Long time no see!!!

I agree! ATL is a PITA... ORD isn't far behind (love Midway!!) And you know, the layout of the airport means absolutely nothing if your flights are always delayed :p And last I checked, ATL was still in the top 10 worst airports for delays... I guess everyone has their priorities!!! :p

Mr. Arison was actually Israeli-American. So I suppose it should be "Red, White and Blue", plus "White, Star of David, and Blue".;)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ted_Arison

I was under the impression the Arison family was Jewish -correct me if I am wrong but not necessarily Israeli ie born in Israel .

To be Jewish is a Faith to be Israeli means born in Israel...yes you can be Christian ,born in Israel and be an Israeli citizen

One can be true blue anything -American,Canadian or British -and religious affiliation should not come into play to describe a person

Maybe I misunderstood you but I felt you were saying because he is Jewish he was not true blue ...feel free to correct me if I am wrong

Religion has nothing to do with nationality and people should know the difference

Sorry if I am miffed ...throughout my life I was asked what Nationality I was when individuals really wanted to know my faith -as if that were a barometer of something ....so I do take these inuendos personally!!!

Michele

Obviously you did not click the link to Wiki....

It states he is "Israeli-American".

He may have been both Israeli AND Jewish, That is possible isnt it?

Maybe a chill pill is in order for some today???

Please dont take this as a personal attack. This is no more of a personal attack than the first post was. AS Im sure the first poster had no clue who you are much less your religious affiliations.

Hope you have a very nice day, I plan to!;)

I had also read somewhere that Mickey Arison was an Israeli and that at one point when he needed money to expand Carnival he used his contacts in that part of the world to secure investments from Arabs who had large amounts of oil money...this may lead credibility to a story I heard from Carnival employees that wealthy Arab oil families on occasion will have the use of an entire deck on a Carnival ship when they go on a cruise...of course it is the deck with the expensive suites and not the cheap inside cabins above the engine room! LOL:cool:

I had also read somewhere that Mickey Arison was an Israeli and that at one point when he needed money to expand Carnival he used his contacts in that part of the world to secure investments from Arabs who had large amounts of oil money...this may lead credibility to a story I heard from Carnival employees that wealthy Arab oil families on occasion will have the use of an entire deck on a Carnival ship when they go on a cruise...of course it is the deck with the expensive suites and not the cheap inside cabins above the engine room! LOL:cool:

If he can do that more power to him ..Maybe he should negotiate a peace settlement .he is obviously on the right track!!!

I stand corrected and thank you for the link

I do not need a chill pill and I wish you a good day as I am planning to have one as well as I will be celebrating my B'day to night

Michele

HAPPY BIRTHDAY to Michelle!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I hope you have the best evening and a long and prosperous life!

Yes, I did a poll:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=829805&highlight=favorite+class

As you can see, the Spirit Class is the winner. The Conquest Class is a close second.

Couple of problems with this statement your poll didn't mention anything about passenger flow good or bad. Your poll only asked which ship class did you like more.

Which leads me to the next point you really can't ask a group of people who haven't all traveled on the ships to make an honest evaluation. Like in my case, since I haven't traveled on either the Spirit or Splendor class I didn't answer the poll

Another thing that was left off is that there isn't any way to make sure each person made only one answer. Anyone here could skew the poll in a matter of minutes.

While I appreciate your love of the spirit class ship and wanting to promote it's fine qualities. Your facts seem more personal opinion.

It is because you get more efficient passenger flow.

This is a similar comparison to airport designs. General consensus is that the Atlanta Hartsfield-Jackson International Airport is one of the most efficient designs for a major hub airport,

I wonder why it takes me 1/2 an hour (actually timed) every time from the moment the airplane arrives at the gate, I power walk to the train, make all the stops, and finally walk outside the terminal. :D

Seriously, considering how big ATL is, they do an amazing job at moving that many passengers and airplanes, but boy, it makes for a LOT of walking if you happen to arrive at the last gate on the farthest concourse. You're literally over a mile away from bagagge claim!

I agree! ATL is a PITA... ORD isn't far behind (love Midway!!) And you know, the layout of the airport means absolutely nothing if your flights are always delayed :p And last I checked, ATL was still in the top 10 worst airports for delays... I guess everyone has their priorities!!! :p

Hey! How are you doing? Getting excited for the upcoming B2B? If you have signatures on, you can see I'm going on a B2B on the Inspiration at the same time! I'm such a dork. I booked flights, convinced others to come on leg 2, and then I realized it's the same time as S&S 4!! Oh well, we'll be in Cozumel on the same day. I'll be at C&C's in the afternoon!

Yes, you're right, flow means jack when you have constant delays. ORD is not much better. I hated flying between ATL and ORD!

Hey! How are you doing? Getting excited for the upcoming B2B? If you have signatures on, you can see I'm going on a B2B on the Inspiration at the same time! I'm such a dork. I booked flights, convinced others to come on leg 2, and then I realized it's the same time as S&S 4!! Oh well, we'll be in Cozumel on the same day. I'll be at C&C's in the afternoon!

Yes, you're right, flow means jack when you have constant delays. ORD is not much better. I hated flying between ATL and ORD!

Hey, do you still have my email addy? We are doing a party bus in Coz with Tom... have a great day planned. We'll end up at C&C. Email me the hours you are going to be there and maybe we can hook up!!!

This thread has been pretty entertaining! LOL

Here's a true ATL story that no one ever believes!

In May, I had to fly to Dallas for a wedding and had to go through ATL to DFW. I was expecting long delays and much walking. Needless to say, not looking forward to it. Well.... my plane landed in ATL 5 minutes early at gate B23. I then realized that my connecting flight was leaving ON TIME from gate B22. That's right, I had to walk all the way across the hall! :0

Then, I landed in DFW at the gate directly in front of the exit doors. Since I only had one carry-on, I walked right out the door! Easiest flight of my life. Even better, my flight back was not a disaster either, which I was expecting. Ya know, balancing out! I got home 15 minutes early!:)

I wonder why it takes me 1/2 an hour (actually timed) every time from the moment the airplane arrives at the gate, I power walk to the train, make all the stops, and finally walk outside the terminal. :D

Seriously, considering how big ATL is, they do an amazing job at moving that many passengers and airplanes, but boy, it makes for a LOT of walking if you happen to arrive at the last gate on the farthest concourse. You're literally over a mile away from bagagge claim!

Well, the new East International Terminal should be opening in 2011, handling all international passengers. It will be built on the east side of Concourse E.

By the way, the first few Captains at Carnival, were from the original Italian Line ( The Michaelangelo, Raffaello, and Leonardo DiVinci)Those were the ship names, not the captains names.

Hey!!!! Who'd a thunk that they named the ships after the Ninja Turtles!!

The red white and blue according to an article I read, was because he did not have time to repaint the Empress of Canada when they renamed it Mardi Gras. So the colors just stuck around

It is so cool that they designed such wonderful flow for all the pissed of people who have delays and/or missed connections!!:p :rolleyes: I also think it is fab that their shops and restaurants close early and open late......leaves nothing to do but flow around with ease late at night or early in the morning!!:mad:

Archived