Question for mods and long-timers here...

Laserjock

Has there ever been a discussion about having ship-specific sub-directories in the general cruise line specific discussion boards?

I know that if you are looking for specific questions/answers it might take less strain off the search engine and make it easier for people to find ship specific info.

Just curious.

Personally, I wouldn't like that at all. I like knowing I can come to the HAL Board and see the words of wisdom from the regulars here - and catch their antics as well. I wouldn't bother if I had to sort through individual ship boards.

I agree with Gma. Most of the questions here are not ship specific, and/or a question asked about one ship can be answered by someone who has been on a sister ship of the same class. Having subdirectories would make for a lot MORE work in most instances, IMO.

One feature that is coming down the road on this site is the ability to "tag" posts with keywords. When that is implemented, if people take that time to apply such tags, we will have a large number of virtual subdirectories.

Agree with Donna and John. Seeing as HAL has four sister "S" class ships and two "R" class which are very, very similar, ship specific is not as relevant as some other lines. Same applies for the four Vista class sisters.

I'm with the others. So many questions can be answered by someone who has never been on a given ship---simply because we know the drill, or have been on a sister ship.

Besides, many threads take a twist or turn to something else. It would be a pity to miss out on those just because that whole "ship" was missed.

Is asking the question again a problem? The obscure questions may not find an answer, but that's rare. Most questions that get asked are answered promptly and correctly.

Most repeat questions don't only generate a response of "look it up". Sometimes the exact question is already on p.1, but if someone can't make the effort to scan the page they aren't likely to use "search".

Archived