Newark Airport logistics help

hugger

We are arriving at EWR on Continental airlines and must get to the hotel shuttles after picking up our bags. I know that we have to take something called the Airtran to P4 from where we come in on CO.

Can anyone tell me about the transportation within the airport. And, if they have luggage carts that we can take on it with us and drop at the other concourse?

I don't think there is any way I can handle 2 large suitcases and a flight bag without a cart.

THANKS ALL

Hi there!

We just did this - you already know more than we did going in, so I know you'll have no problem. :)

The terminals are separated and the last one is called P4, as you know. This is the pick-up area for hotel shuttles. It's actually good that they have this, otherwise I can't imagine the congestion for this already incredibly busy airport.

When you arrive, you can get a luggage cart; we didn't do this as we managed OK without, but we did see others doing so and it looked like it cost about $3.00. People used cash or credit cards to obtain the carts. However, hubby and I can't remember if you can take them on the Airtrain. The trip is about 90 seconds from your Terminal to P4; it's like a Skytrain that carries passengers and luggage.

Once you arrive, step outside and most likely there will be an airport representative to greet you; even so, you just have to wait for your hotel shuttle bus. Ours arrived and departed every 30 minutes or so, as most do. You can use your cell phone or the pay phone to call them if you wish.

We used the Airtrain several times during our visit pre-cruise; we took it back to the airport and then took a New Jersey Transit train into NYC. The airport really is a hub for all your transportation needs.

so much for your insight and help.

I wish I could still figure out a way to see if you can take the luggage cart on the Airtran.

Can I ask what you saw people doing with the luggage carts?

Maybe they went directly outside with them? And, didn't need the Airtran?

Was it very far that you had to manuever your luggage from the baggage claim to the Airtran? And, then when you get off to the shuttle area to be picked up?

Thanks so much - we really appreciate all help and advise.

I wish I could still figure out a way to see if you can take the luggage cart on the Airtran.

Can I ask what you saw people doing with the luggage carts?

Maybe they went directly outside with them? And, didn't need the Airtran?

Was it very far that you had to manuever your luggage from the baggage claim to the Airtran? And, then when you get off to the shuttle area to be picked up?

I can't recall seeing luggage carts being taken on the AirTrain; I simply don't think they would fit and they would be very cumbersome. They could get caught on the door frame of the AirTrain and so on... hmm.. I just don't think they're allowed, but I surely could be mistaken.

If you are taking a shuttle bus to your hotel, you must take the AirTrain and go to P4. Shuttles do not stop at any other terminal. I suppose you could take a taxi directly from the terminal to your hotel; that would certainly aleviate any discomfort or anxiety you are feeling about all of this. Where are you staying?

Once you get off the AirTrain at P4, you can take an escalator or elevator to ground level to get the shuttle bus. It's not that big and it's not that for, really.

I found this online for you; perhaps you might call them directly.

"Travelers may call the airport at +1-973-961-6000, or from within the United States and Canada toll-free at 888-EWR-INFO (397-4636)."

We stayed there too! It was great - wonderful complimentary breakfast in the morning. You'll be right next to the Jersey Gardens outlet mall, and there is no sales tax on clothing in New Jersey!

Anyway, the shuttle runs every 30 minutes or so. I would say a cab directly to the hotel would be about $15.00? It's not that far, but the airport is huge and it takes forever just to get off the grounds. I fully understand the concern with the luggage so yes, perhaps a cab once and for all would be the way to go.

You can ask them about their car service to the Bayonne Port; we had driver Rosa and she was great - the charge was $50.00 unmetered and we gave her $60.00 for the ride. Very easy and stress-free way to get to the port without looking at the meter every two minutes. :o

you cannot take carts on the airtrain....usually there are guides near the entrance enforcing this....

how many peope are with you??? how many bags???? can you piggy back the carry on on top of one of them???? i've wheeled one in each hand, with a carryon atop EACH suitcase.....:eek: :D

if you get a cab, it should be about 15 bucks, maybe less. it's only 2 miles to the CI, but traffic can stink!

welcome to jersey!:p

Archived