Progesso is a DUMP!!!!!

agrip76

If i wanted to see the REAL MEXICO I would have gone to Tiujuana. That place is heavan compared to Progreso

ROTFLOL!!!!!

This one is gonna give me chuckles for years to come!! Hope I remember this next time I'm having a bad day!

I've been to both, along with many other parts of Mexico, and other than Majahual, and Playa del Carmen (15 years ago), this is one of our favorite areas of Mexico.

I can understand why some folks don't like it though, but DH and I really like areas that aren't "Americanized".

I know I have been lucky I have never had a bad cruise either. I have had bad ports or experiences, but always had a blast on the cruise. You make your own fun. And I have never had anyone complain throughout the meal either. We have a lot in common!

this is one of our favorite areas of Mexico.

I've mentioned on another thread that this was my least favorite port. That being said, it's like saying Old Milwaukee is my least favorite beer.....but if someone offered me an Old Milwaukee I'd still drink it. On a future cruise if I find myself in Progreso I now know what to expect and I will plan accordingly. I think part of the problem stems from the fact that we don't do enough research on a particular port and we get caught somewhat off guard.

For example, on our first time to Roatan we had a so-so time, but on our second trip we had the BEST time.

agrip. I'm sincerely sorry you and hubby didn't enjoy your stop at Progreso. There are really more options at this port to explore than most western ports. The water is not dirty, but it's not the chrystal clear Caribbean. It's the Gulf of Mexico. The Yucatan sits on a limestone shelf which causes the water to be too shallow close in for ships. The 4.5 mile long pier is primarily for commercial shipping. There are two major Mayan ruins, one of which is on the new Wonders of the World list. (Chitzen Itza) Although Uxmal is my favorite. Many small and medium size ruins. Merida, the state capitol, is a beautiful spanish colonial city of one million with buildings dating back to 1549 and the oldest cathedral of the Americas. Merida is home to four universitys. Bus service for the 21 mile ride is $3.00 pp RT. For those that don't wish to experience the local culture, there is a very nice all-inclusive, Reef Yucatan, that tours are available at the pier for $45 including food and drinks. On the outside chance that you may return someday, check out www.yucatantoday.com

One of the best visitor's guides I've seen for any destination. YT you guys do a great job.

I agree totally with this! There are many things you can do at this port to have a good time. You have to go with the right attitude and enjoy!!!

I liked Progresso more than Cozumel.I wanted the authentic mexican town.My kids ages 16 and 12 like Progresso better also.We all came back with the attitude that we are so blessed.Cozumel was just too Americanized for us.

Playa del Carmen is still my favorite port but Progresso is a close second.

We have had a great time in Progreso the 3 times we've been, and we'll be there again in 2 weeks. I've arranged a beach day for 50 people on the cruise with us, and I predict it will be the highlight of our cruise!

As long as we're not made ill by dirty lampshades...LMAO

• 4 weeks later...

I am booked to go on the Esctasy Feb 7th to Cozumel and Progresso. I have read books about the area and done lots of internet research...hence this website...and I find that everyone's oponion of Progresso is so very different for the most part. You have those who love it and swear its the greatest place on the planet and then you have those, like the OP, who swear its the worst.

While I the reader want to know is it worth my time, effort and money to simply stay in Progresso or venture to Merida on a tour or on my own via the buses.

I will be traveling solo and not afraid of venturing alone to Merida but I wonder if I really want to and that I might miss something truly beautiful and wonderful in Progresso in my rush to get to the Shopping Area of the Caribbean. I have gone back and forth over this, do I stay in Progesso and possibly be disapointed or do I go to Merida and possibly find its not all its cracked up to be. Since this will be my first trip to either port I have decided to stay with Progresso. I know that in the future I will take more cruises to the same area and I can venture out then. For right now I think I would be doing myself a great dis service if I simply deemed Progresso "Not worth my time".

Everyone has their own idea of value and worth. I value quiet and long walks on the beach, shopping, and good massages for cheap! I also want to see the historic and REAL Mexico. Whats the point of going to Mexico if you are not going to see the real thing. If you want to see the Americanized ports, stay in America. I am paying money to see the WORLD. Not just my own little part of it or the parts that I can see at home on any city street in the US.

So as for me I do think that Progresso will be worth my time. Perhaps I will find something that I have never seen before and remember it for always.

To the OP...I think you may have been having just a bad day. I think you were disapointed that your ports were changed due to weahter and that you were set againist liking the one you were taken to, before you even stepped off the ship. As for as the rest of the group that you say did not like it, well Mob Mentality goes along way. Everybody will swear that they hate something, if enough people convence them that they do. I would have suggested finding some positive travel mates and made the best of a "bad" situation.

True Story:

When I was Paris I really wanted to see the The Marmottan - Monet Museam, I am a huge lover of Monet's works of art and was very excited about being able to fianaly see some of it up close. But the museam was closed for repairs. I was very upset and disapointed but I knew that I was not going to ruin my trip by grumbling about it, so I went to the next place on my list - The Louvre.

Guess what? They had some of Monet's works hanging in the Louvre and I got to see what I had came to see...the Lilly's! I was so very happy. I could have just grumbled myself into going back to my hotel and decideding that the Louvre was not worth my while since it was not my orgianal destination that day. But I didnt. And I went back every day that I was there! I think I spent more time in that place then I did walking around Paris!

My point is, try to take what you are given and make it your own and make the best out of it, you are after all the only person who can make you truly happy.

I liked Progresso more than Cozumel.I wanted the authentic mexican town.My kids ages 16 and 12 like Progresso better also.We all came back with the attitude that we are so blessed.Cozumel was just too Americanized for us.

Ditto!

Well my wife and I just got done with our first time in unprogresso. It was rather aggravating to have all the commoners beg and plead trying to sell their wares to us. We did do some shopping ther tho basically I bought some tequila and wife bought a blanket. but it was quite sad to see someone use their 5yr old daughter trying to sell us some jewlery while we were walking along the streets, It made me feel sad that they ahd to use such tactics to sell such items. I plan next time we go to progresso is to stop at same shop buy some tequila and then get back on board. its not worth my time to be harased by locals to purchase the same junk i can find at a vendor 2 feet down.. It's just my .02 of progresso

While I would admit that I wouldn't want to go to Progresso on every vacation, I really have enjoyed our 2 trips there. In fact our kids ages 14,9,7 loved it. We went to a local school and did the double decker bus. shopped, ate lunch at a local rest. The market place there I thought was really cool. Like I said I wouldn't want to go to Progresso every time, but we have really enjoyed our trips there. I also am getting sick of going to cozumel. I have been on six cruises and 5 of them have went to cozumel.

I wouldn't want to go to Progresso every time, but we have really enjoyed our trips there. I also am getting sick of going to cozumel. I have been on six cruises and 5 of them have went to cozumel.

I can relate to this. We have our 8th cruise monday and all have gone to Cozumel and 3 went to Progreso. Unless I find a super deal our next trip will be an eastern itinerary.

Edited by clackey

agrip, I know how you feel. We were on a cruise that was supposed to go to Cozumel and the ships propeller broke - so we ended up in Nassau. ARGGG! it was disgusting and we were so disappointed. I have heard people rave about Nassau and wonder if they were in the same place as me! Sorry Progreso wasn't up to your standards. We are going there in a week and I have everything planned and am looking forward to this authentic Mexican port.

gottahaveabeach, I was thinking of going to the ruins - DZ and booking through autoprogresso at the pier. Since it is a short trip, then we should have time to do some shopping and my daughter wants to get a massage on beach. And, if time permits, ride the cheap double decker bus just to take pictures of the town. Too much? I want something "educational" for my 15yr old daughter so I don't feel guilty about taking her out of school! :o

I moved here last year from NYC. it is the complete opposite of NYC and I LOVE IT here. Of course when a ship comes in the prices double. :eek: Every go to a yankee game and pay 5 bucks for a cold hot dog?:mad: But what do u expect?? It is still inexpensive comapred to most other ports. I have been to Cancun and Cozumel. Great places to visit and yes crystal blue water. But Progreso is where I call home. :D Stay on the boat next time AGRIP or get A GRIP. :cool:You wont be missed.;)

I loved Progreso! We had 5 ladies in our party and we each got a massage on the beach for $15 each, it was so relaxing and wonderful! Then we rented lounge chairs and had the bartender from across the street bring us food and drinks all day long. It was very restful. We watched local children splashing and playing in the water. Yes, the water appears dirty, but it is the Gulf of Mexico. . .we went in and it was fine. The thing I loved the most was that it was the REAL Mexico, not commercialized just for us Americans who demand to be treated like VIPs. . .remember this is their home, not ours. I guess I always look at things from the glass is half full point of view.

It's not complaining. It's how it is. If i wanted to see poverty I would stay home and go to work.

I go on vacation to get away.

:confused: So you live and work in poverty? You said you'd stay home and work if you wanted to see it.....If so, then Your no better than what you claim they are.

I visited progresso once right after CCL started stopping there. Went to Chitzen Itza (sic) and thought it was wonderful. Not yet a tourist trap. I am going back in March and looking forward to seeing the advances they have made since the cruise ships first began stopping there. It;s a shame you feel that way. What a humbling experience to truly experiance antoher culture.