Progesso is a DUMP!!!!!

agrip76

Thanks for being honest Agrip76! My brother and sister-in-law just got from Progresso, and they thought "it really was a dump!" And they are very positive, uplifting, "glass half full" kind of people. I appreciate folks like you getting on here and "telling it like it is." We have planned another cruise to avoid this port. I appreciate the warning. No reason to ruin a day of vacation!

We just got back from the VALOR 10/12 sailing. We were forced to go to progresso because there was bad weather in Belize. AFter going there I feel Carnival should pay me all of my money back for taking anyone there. The water is murky and dirty. The people harrass you and tried to get my husband prostitutes in front of me. The ruins are a joke and we were ripped off. The port is awful. You have to drive 4 miles just to get off the pier. Everyone that I talked to agreed that this place was a disgrace. IT is a poor dirty city full of people who think Americans are stupid and will pay anything for their junk.

DO not go here if you have a choice. I already wrote my letter to Canival to let them know they should be ashamed to take anyone there.

ARLAW. I hope you have read this entire thread since the vast majority of posters have had vastly different experiences than those of Agrip. There are more options for your day at Progreso than most western ports.

Some of those options at Progreso are:

Two really "major" Mayan ruins as well as moderate and minor ones. One of the major ruins was recently put on the Wonders of the World list. Dating back to the sixth century.

A really very nice all-inclusive resort at very modest day pass rates.

Of course a long and wide beach, however, being on the Gulf, the water is not as clear as in the Caribbean. Really good restaurants across the Malecon (seaside street) that will serve you on the beach if you like. Very fresh fish and seafood.

Merida, a Spanish colonial city of one million. The state capitol, home to four universities and archetecture dating back to 1549. and the oldest cathedral of the Americas. Round trip modern bus service Progreso to Merida (21 miles), a whole $3.00pp.

There are very good and reliable tour companies at the pier.

The only thing missing in the Yucatan State is phoney glitz. Very nice people if you're open to them.

• 2 weeks later...

And people wonder why the rest of the world looks down on Americans. Think it has something to do with our superiority complex?

DW, DD (9yo), DS (8yo), and myself have been 3 times. Walk through the main market place and down to the beach without any hassle. Stop by a couple shops to look around and may spend $20-$50 on some of that "junk." Looks more like the real Mexico and I hope my kids don't get their nose stuck too far up in the air to think they shouldn't be subjected to such "filth" as they get older.

Sure people want you to buy their "junk" but at least they aren't calling me on my telephone or coming into my living room on the tv or knocking on my front door selling me a Bass-O-Matic for 3 easy installments of $19.95.

Ali McG

That "wonders of the world" thing is kind of a scam since it was created as part of a tourist campaign. It's not a "wonder of the world"... it's a "New Wonder of the world" that the Mexican Govt. (or someone... too lazy to search google for the info) created.

Still, we went to Uxmal and it was lovely-- we were able to get plenty of dynamite pictures. The kids were able to climb up the ruins as well.

Is Progresso a dump? Well, it's not picturesque like Hawaii (the big island) is where you get off the ship and there are many photo opportunities and snorkling right there. It is, as people have noted, an "authentic" Mexican experience.

The beach wasn't "that" bad... I think the water can be murky depending on the fronts/tides. The water was pretty clear the day we were there.

I think in the end it is one of those stops where you might stay in the area and have some drinks and relax on the beach, but most people do a tour or something and go farther away from the pier.

uxmal.jpg.26472d29ff3119bb00969fe9ab9372f5.jpg

progresso.jpg.904311ed02c8dc637275a58d9fa493fc.jpg

That "wonders of the world" thing is kind of a scam since it was created as part of a tourist campaign. It's not a "wonder of the world"... it's a "New Wonder of the world" that the Mexican Govt. (or someone... too lazy to search google for the info) created.

Still, we went to Uxmal and it was lovely-- we were able to get plenty of dynamite pictures. The kids were able to climb up the ruins as well.

Uxmal isn't one of the Wonders of the World (old or new). The newest addition is Chichen Itza, hence the reason no one is allowed to climb the largest pyramid anymore. It truly is something to behold and definitely worth the trip.

Edited by tiyana4

To clarify, I didn't say Uxmal was a "new seven wonders of the world". I said we went to Uxmal.

The reason you can't climb on Chitchen Itza any more is because a tourist fell to her death a few years ago. From Wikipedia: "Over the past several years, INAH, which manages the site, has been closing monuments to public access. While visitors can walk around them, they can no longer climb them or go inside their chambers. The most recent was El Castillo, which was closed after a San Diego, Calif., woman fell to her death in 2006.[33]"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Seven_Wonders_of_the_World

Snipped for length

New Seven Wonders of the World is a project that attempts to revive the Seven Wonders of the Ancient World concept with a list of modern wonders. A popularity poll was organized by the private New7Wonders Foundation, with winners announced on July 7, 2007 in Lisbon, Portugal.[1]

The Swiss-based New7Wonders Foundation claims more than 100 million votes were cast through the Internet or by telephone. Nothing prevented multiple votes, so the poll is considered "decidedly unscientific".[2] According to John Zogby, founder and current President/CEO of the Washington-based polling organization Zogby International, New7Wonders Foundation drove “the largest poll on record”.[1]

The program drew a wide range of official reaction. Some countries touted their finalist and tried to get more votes cast for it, while others downplayed or criticized the contest.[2][1] After supporting the New7Wonders Foundation at the beginning of the campaign, with providing advice on nominee selection, The United Nations Educational, Scientific, and Cultural Organization (UNESCO) has distanced itself from the undertaking in 2007.[3][4]

UNESCO

The United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO), in a press release on June 20, 2007, reaffirmed that it has no link with the "private initiative", which it says would reflect "only the opinions of those with access to the Internet". The press release concluded:

"There is no comparison between Mr. Weber’s mediatised campaign and the scientific and educational work resulting from the inscription of sites on UNESCO’s World Heritage List. The list of the 7 New Wonders of the World will be the result of a private undertaking, reflecting only the opinions of those with access to the Internet and not the entire world. This initiative cannot, in any significant and sustainable manner, contribute to the preservation of sites elected by this public.[4]

So maybe "kinda like a scam" was a little strong in language, but I personally believe the idea of internet voting for "the new seven wonders of the world" is disingenuous at best.

Edited by spleenstomper

Opinions. Opinions. We all have them. Private or public endeavors. Although Chichen Itza made the list, Uxmal is my favorite. Shorter drive from Progreso, prettier and more impressive to me personally. Added note, I believe that both Merida and Campeche have been named USESCO World Heritage Sites or Cities. Both Chichen Itza and Uxmal are definitely worth the effort to see. Some of the structures at Uxmal DO allow some climbing. I think your suggestion that the naming of CI as a New World Wonder was some kind of scam initiated by the Mexican government tourist folks IS very cynical.

Oh, I honestly didn't mean for this to be a discussion about "scams" and I'm sorry that when I wrote "kind of a scam" that that invited people to challenge it. If I could edit, I would edit that part out. You know? :( I LOVED Uxmal and would LOVE to go back. I didn't go to Chitchen Itza because I had heard the crowds were so large that it interfered with the experience, and that is why we chose Uxmal.

I don't blame the tourist offices for promoting CI as a "new world wonder".... if it works for them, terrific! I was just trying to point out that the concept of "the new world wonders" was based on internet and telephone voting. I don't think that takes away from the beauty and "wonder" of the structures or the experience.

I've been to Uxmal twice and Chichen Itza once. CI was on a van tour. Drove both times to Uxmal from Merida. My goal now is to visit more small rural villages of the Yucatan and maybe some moderate ruins along the way. For sure Izamal on my next land trip. Hopefully and maybe, this fall.

My first impression of Progresso was not good. Yes the water was not as clear as cozumel, the beaches were not as white or as clean as others and the town of Progesso is very poor. BUT.... on my second trip there, we took a mayan ruins and Merida city tour with a tour company "autoprogresso" at the dock. We enjoyed the tour, was able to see Merida, which has a town square simular to New Orleans. Good genuine Mexican food too. We had a fantastic tour guide for both tours and was very interesting, learning about his culture and the ruins. We are going back to Progresso in Feb 2010 and hope to do a more detailed city tour of the square and the cathedrial. Progresso is not a place for beaches or snorkeling but it is a historic place to see. Just my 2 cents.

Gary & Jo Ann

"The Cruisin Cajuns"

Truimph Feb 20, 2010

Glory 2008

Fantasy 2008

Holiday 2007

Ecstasy 2007

Sensation 2005

Conquest 2004

As has already been stated...everyone has an opinion...someone above stated Progreso is not a beach place...we, however, had a blast on the beach there in December ...it helped that the weather was perfect that day...and we enjoyed walking around the town sightseeing...going back this Dec again and hope for more of the same...we did talk to some people who didnt like the place...so I guess its safe to say its not for everyone...but put us on the list of people who want to return :)

• 2 weeks later...
Opinions. Opinions. We all have them. Private or public endeavors. Although Chichen Itza made the list, Uxmal is my favorite. Shorter drive from Progreso, prettier and more impressive to me personally. Added note, I believe that both Merida and Campeche have been named USESCO World Heritage Sites or Cities. Both Chichen Itza and Uxmal are definitely worth the effort to see. Some of the structures at Uxmal DO allow some climbing. I think your suggestion that the naming of CI as a New World Wonder was some kind of scam initiated by the Mexican government tourist folks IS very cynical.

This was exactly how I interpreted this statement. I agree that everyone is entitled to their opinion and beauty is in the eye of the beholder. What may appeal to one person may not hold the same appeal to someone else. We have enjoyed every ruin that we have been to (Ok, maybe not San Gervasio so much) but each one had its own history.

hdawson- Just an FYI, Wikipedia is not the most reliable source for factual information. There is no shortage of false, misleading or inaccurate information, hence the reason universities deem the info unreliable and unacceptable.

Thanks for sharing your opinion of Progresso. I think it is a "dump" also. Let these "cruise pros" keep up their game. Others will read your review and save their money. I wrote the title review over 3 years ago and I stand firm in my report. Progresso is a pig with lipstick.

Thanks for sharing your opinion of Progresso. I think it is a "dump" also. Let these "cruise pros" keep up their game. Others will read your review and save their money. I wrote the title review over 3 years ago and I stand firm in my report. Progresso is a pig with lipstick.

Unlike some, even LOTS, of other places, Progreso does not even try to pretend to be anything other than what it is....a simple, low key place that happens to be visited by cruise ships.

Some just don't get that. And I'm not saying you're wrong, and that's okay...but still, I feel so sorry for you. Really, I do.

I really enjoyed ouir stop in Progresso. However, I booked a private tour guide ahead of time. He took us to Uxmal which we liked better than Chichen Itza or Tulum and then shopping in Merida. The downtown market in Merida was a great experience.

I think "we" as American tourists need to take a good look at ourselves. Often times Americans want everything handed to them and don't respect other people's culture of way of life. In fact, I have witnessed many American tourists being rude to people in other countries. I know that all of us can strive to find good in everyone even though we may have our disagreements. :)

For those just checking into this thread, I suggest you read the entire thread from the beginning. The vast majority of posters have experienced a completely different visit to the Yucatan via Progreso than aleged by Agrip or Alildabldo. Contrary to the suggestion that some of us are "cruise pros", my first two visits were on Celebrity cruises, I've now chosen to go back for three 2 wk land vacations to the area. In 19 cruises, it's the only area I've decided to go back to for a land vacation. Some are even planning their retirement in the area. The residents of the Yucatan are very warm and friendly when given the chance.

dcikon2. I couldn't agree more with your second paragraph and I too have seen the same things. And I'm embarrassed by their behavior.

Edited by hdawson

Well, I had to check out this thread since I'll be visiting this "dump":rolleyes: on our cruise in a few weeks.

We've previously been to Cozumel and have also spent a week in Playa (one of my favorite places on earth).

I can't wait to see Progreso for myself and form my own opinion. I do know one thing....I'LL BE ON VACATION...and that alone is enough for me!:D

I really enjoyed ouir stop in Progresso. However, I booked a private tour guide ahead of time. He took us to Uxmal which we liked better than Chichen Itza or Tulum and then shopping in Merida. The downtown market in Merida was a great experience.

:)

dcikon2, would you mind sharing a little more information about your private tour guide? We (my family of 4) are going to be in Progreso in December and I'd really like to leave earlier than the 9 or 10am that I'm reading about with AutoProgreso. Maybe just a taxi? We'd like to do a little bit ruin and a little bit Progreso at the end of the day vs. the beginning. Can this be done?

If anyone else would like to chime in that would be great too. Thanks so much for all the helpful info you all offer here!

I couldn't agree more ShannonP! Our group is going for the first time in August and are very excited! I am going with an open mind and if it doesn't end up being our favorite, I figure I am on vacation and any day on a cruise is better than being at work! It's all what you make it!

Vicki

My husband and I own a second home in the small fishing village of Chelem, just 6 miles west of Progreso. The area is certainly not your usual tourist spot, but it has it's own charms. Progreso has long been a beach destination for locals from Merida and Mexico City, and other cities throughout the country. In the past few years, as cruise ships have begun to port there, it is trying to learn the way to appeal to the gringo market, but it is still mainly a beach vacation or beach day trip for Mexican families, and happily so. If you visit on days when a cruise ship is not in port, it has a totally different vibe.

The people of the area are hard working, and some of the friendliest you'll find anywhere. Yes they are mostly poor, they generally make around $15 per day, but they are amazingly positive people and very family oriented, enjoying life on a different financial scale.

Close by are some amazing things to see. The ruins at Dzibilchaltun are about 20 minutes away, smaller than Uxmal or Chichen Itza, but interesting, and with a great museum. Merida is a lovely colonial city dating back to the 1500's with glorious architecture, many plazas/squares, a cafe society and wide avenues. At one time it was the richest city in the world, due to it's production of rope from the henequin plant, and many of it's grand homes remain. Now it is a city of over a million people with a large historic center. There are places nearby to go kayaking to see flamingo habitats, swimming in crystal clear cenotes (underground rivers), and fishing. If you head east towards Telchac Puerto and Santa Rosa you'll see the perfect beaches and modern grand beach houses built by the wealthy. If you head a bit south you can visit the "yellow city" of Izamal, with it's 400 year old convent and monastery and charming town. There are interesting tours of henequin plantations, such as Sotuta de Peon, that rival a sugar plantation tour in South Louisiana.

The area is just waiting for folks to get out and explore a bit, it's just getting it's tourist wheels rolling, so you have to try a bit harder to seek out the great, until they get it all figured out and start bringing the great to the port, that's all.

As to safety, we drive all over this area and always feel safe, and anytime we have a problem the folks we happen upon are always more than happy to be of help.

I hope you enjoy your time, and know that your money spent really does help someone who lives on much less than you. Best.

Edited by terry&mike