Progesso is a DUMP!!!!!

agrip76

It's not complaining. It's how it is. If i wanted to see poverty I would stay home and go to work.

I go on vacation to get away.

I've not cruised yet, but I would expect there to be poverty in any port in the Carribean or Mexico.

agrip, some of these exact things happen just about anyone in the world. Every destination has some crappy parts. I've actually experience (or heard of others experiencing) some very similar things in Rome. but i would by NO MEANS whatsoever, ever in a million years refer to it as a dump! If there's something you don't like, you head the other way.

It does suck that you missed your originally scheduled ports of call. I've done a LOT of traveling in my short time and have ended up places I hadn't planned on going due to unplanned detours, and have ended up having some of the best times of my life. Some things you just have to laugh off and walk away from.

I'm a firm believer in the fact that, with the right frame of mind, you can have an awesome time just about anywhere!

You know, part of why I anticipate that I will enjoy Progreso is planning ahead on these boards. If my ports of call changed and I were dropped off in a small town that I'd never heard of, had no clue what to do there, etc., I can see that the experience would be pretty grim. ESPECIALLY if I were really excited about my original port. I'll have to keep this in mind on my cruise, if the ports get changed, to try my best to see the positive in wherever we keep going. See, I'd be disappointed to go somewhere really flashy and nice, like Grand Cayman, but were that to happen, I'll just try to remember that the only one who can make it a positive experience is ME.

What great attitudes expressed on this thread! ! ! !

I can't even imagine traveling with a different attitude. While I've never cruised before (first cruise on May 9th, YAY!) I've done a lot of traveling around europe and domestically. Truth is, things go wrong, trains get missed, venues are closed... basically ***** happens! you just gotta adjust, roll with it and make the best of it, otherwise, you'll be miserable and what would be the point in THAT? :confused:

Hi All,

Just thought I'd chime in. We are planning another (yes, another lol) land trip to Progreso and Merida for a week in May. Soooo excited!!!

We're doing this because 1) Our cruise in Sept is just too far away and 2) Our cruise in Sept does not go to Progreso and we just can't get enough of all the wonderful people and things there and 3) This time we plan on finding our nest!!!

I just got off the Ecstasy today and I'm actually pricing flights into Merida to come stay for a few days! I loved Progreso. Uxmal was WONDERFUL! I want to go back there as there is so much to see, I doubt I absorbed it all in those few hours I was able to explore it. I also want to see the other ruins and really visit the town. It was charming in how real it was and, like others have said, I travel to visit the cultures and histories of the places.

:D

I loved Progreso! Had a wonderful day there. Water was beautiful ( see below) and people warm and friendly. It is a poor area, but I travel to get out of my normal zone.

prog3-1.jpg

I'm so happy to see the picture of that water in the background. I thought I read on here that the water was like Galveston.

Whoever wrote that must be confused...or never gone to Galveston. :D Galveston could never dream of being that aqua! I don't think Galveston is dirty, necessarily, but the water is definitely silty.

I'm looking forward to Progresso. We are either going to just explore the town right off the ship or take the DZ tour through AutoProgresso.

We were just in Progresso Tuesday, 3/10, and yes there was a lot of the city that was very poor and under developed but we ended up going to the Progresso Resort Beach Break, offered through Carnival and we loved it. Given the water wasn't as clear as cozumel, but it was still fine, the beach was nice, the drinks were good, we had fun.

We were Progresso Mar 3rd and I loved it. We walked around the pier area and then took the shuttle into town. I didn't know what to expect from all the reviews that I had been reading before our cruise. We were very impressed. I liked the fact that you could tell them no and that was the end of it. We took the Double Decker bus that takes you around town and loved it. While we were waiting to leave, we actually saw a couple of cops doing what they are supposed to do as far as traffic control is concerned. We wouldn't have the traffic jams that we have if the cops would direct traffice around a problem. After the tour, we walked down to the beach area and went to Los Arcos and had a couple of "Ritas" and then walked along blvd. I told my husband that I was very impressed since I didn't know what to expect. I would love to go back and have more time. True, it's not Cozumel or Cancun, but, sometimes it's nice not to have all the tourist traps. Go with an open mind and you will enjoy your stop in Progresso. After we got back I looked up Los Arcos because we have one in Tomball and sure enough, they are all over the place. The owners came from Mexico City. We are going to have to try them out.

OMG!! This look so yummy!! What is it and is it near the beach area??

They are. It is a crepe with cheese or chocolate and there are a number of vendors. A US buck each, although next time I may ask if there is a quantity discount.

The carts are as close to the beach as they can get without climbing over the seawall. The locals love them, too.

We were Progresso Mar 3rd and I loved it. We walked around the pier area and then took the shuttle into town. I didn't know what to expect from all the reviews that I had been reading before our cruise. We were very impressed. I liked the fact that you could tell them no and that was the end of it. We took the Double Decker bus that takes you around town and loved it. While we were waiting to leave, we actually saw a couple of cops doing what they are supposed to do as far as traffic control is concerned. We wouldn't have the traffic jams that we have if the cops would direct traffice around a problem. After the tour, we walked down to the beach area and went to Los Arcos and had a couple of "Ritas" and then walked along blvd. I told my husband that I was very impressed since I didn't know what to expect. I would love to go back and have more time. True, it's not Cozumel or Cancun, but, sometimes it's nice not to have all the tourist traps. Go with an open mind and you will enjoy your stop in Progresso. After we got back I looked up Los Arcos because we have one in Tomball and sure enough, they are all over the place. The owners came from Mexico City. We are going to have to try them out.

Great post. I try every day to choose my attitude......is this going to be a bad day, where I let everything get under my skin and be bothered by the negative or will it be a good day, where I enjoy the quirky and different and see the small problems for what they are...just small. That being said, I find the atmosphere of Progreso and the attitude of the people very "glass is half full". It's amazingly refreshing to see people genuinely happy and content and guess what? Their happiness and contentment didn't require a Wii or new Lexus to make them feel that way.

Edited by kingfish78734

:D

I'm so happy to see the picture of that water in the background. I thought I read on here that the water was like Galveston.

Whoever wrote that must be confused...or never gone to Galveston. :D Galveston could never dream of being that aqua! I don't think Galveston is dirty, necessarily, but the water is definitely silty.

I don't know about Galveston (maybe there's a river entering the gulf or a bay in the area causing the silt?) but Progreso water will prolly be like most coastal areas...dependent on the weather. When we were there in January, the water was murky due to recent storms bringing in ocean plant life. So, it's prolly hit or miss as far as water clarity but always beautiful!

And, I have to say, again, having been to cozumel and costa maya several times, january was the first time we visited progreso. We usually on go on 4 nite cruises so won't visit progreso again for awhile but I find myself thinking of Progreso quite often and hoping I can get there again really soon!

• 1 month later...

How exciting! I'm now torn between wanting to book a prosti, er tour and stay in the poverty stricken hell hole town area and see if I get ripped off!

We're sailing on the Ecstasy in a couple of weeks time - these threads are useful in so many ways - if nothing else to prove you can get whatever *you* want from a holiday!

Personally, I cant wait to see both the tourist trap style place that I imagine Cozumel to be AND experience the grubby, poor and real side of Progresso.

Note to self: do not drink the water.

Darn, guess it'll have to be tequila! ;)

Joan from New Zealand.

Why travel half way around the world already expecting to visit a hell hole? There are other hell holes closer to you aren't there?

LOL I think you missed my point - I was being sarcastic toward those who were saying it's disgraceful that some islands might not be the fantasy island fun spots they'd somehow expected them to be ;)

Personally, I think there is nothing wrong with visiting places that are poor, tired, ancient / history laden, run down or whatever - that's the whole idea of a holiday for me, to explore new places, see new things, experience what others experience who actually live there. Be it the good, the bad and / or the ugly.

Progresso - from my research, falls into the "possibly not that flash" category, where the people will most likely be lovely should we be able to get away from the port / tourist areas and I'm very interested in seeing it.

As for hell holes near me .. of course, but I've seen Australia already so want to go farther afield ;)

Edited by Kiwi_Joan

LOL I think you missed my point - I was being sarcastic toward those who were saying it's disgraceful that some islands might not be the fantasy island fun spots they'd somehow expected them to be ;)

Personally, I think there is nothing wrong with visiting places that are poor, tired, ancient / history laden, run down or whatever - that's the whole idea of a holiday for me, to explore new places, see new things, experience what others experience who actually live there. Be it the good, the bad and / or the ugly.

Progresso - from my research, falls into the "possibly not that flash" category, where the people will most likely be lovely should we be able to get away from the port / tourist areas and I'm very interested in seeing it.

As for hell holes near me .. of course, but I've seen Australia already so want to go farther afield ;)

Sory I missed your sarcasm, that is a rarity for me. I too like the different "rough around the edges" places. Quite frankly I avoid the tourist places like the plague.

That was a nice shot at the Aussies.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm online right now updating my cruise review, and just saddened again that we didn't get to stop in Progreso. We were unable to get through the channel due to high winds, so we ended up going to Key West instead. I was really looking forward to relaxing at a beachside bar in Progreso and buying a hammock. Oh well, next time... :(