NCL seems a perfect fit for us....

JaiJaiW

We are leaving on our first cruise next month and can't wait. We've been planning for a year and it's finally almost here. It's our 25th wedding anniversary and we'll be on the Star in a mini-suite.

We are pretty sure that we are going to totally enjoy our NCL cruise, so much so that I'm already looking for others to book.

Here is my question to all you experienced cruisers out there. We chose NCL because of the more relaxed Freestyle atmosphere. We aren't much for dressing up (the thought of having to wear heels is rather frightening!!! LOL) or having the structure of needing to dine at a certain time.

That said, is there any other cruiseline that we may be comfortable with?? There are several itineraries out of Florida that are appealing and a Panama Canal round trip is at the top of the list. Unfortunately, NCL doesn't offer the ones we are looking at.

So, what do you all think??? Can we "fit in" with another cruiseline but maintain our more casual and relaxed ways?

Thanks!!!

Several other lines have an open dining option (Princess-Anytime Dining, HAL-As You Wish). There is no other mass market line that I know of that will have the relaxed dress code that you find on NCL.

We have enjoyed both styles of dining and would never (at least for now, never say never) sail NCL exclusively just because of Freestyle Dining.

Charlie

We are leaving on our first cruise next month and can't wait. We've been planning for a year and it's finally almost here. It's our 25th wedding anniversary and we'll be on the Star in a mini-suite.

We are pretty sure that we are going to totally enjoy our NCL cruise, so much so that I'm already looking for others to book.

Here is my question to all you experienced cruisers out there. We chose NCL because of the more relaxed Freestyle atmosphere. We aren't much for dressing up (the thought of having to wear heels is rather frightening!!! LOL) or having the structure of needing to dine at a certain time.

That said, is there any other cruiseline that we may be comfortable with?? There are several itineraries out of Florida that are appealing and a Panama Canal round trip is at the top of the list. Unfortunately, NCL doesn't offer the ones we are looking at.

So, what do you all think??? Can we "fit in" with another cruiseline but maintain our more casual and relaxed ways?

Thanks!!!

Not easily, but Princess would come the closest, I know many will argue this point, I am basing it on our experience earlier this year. The two formal nights people were dressed to the nines in most cases but we saw some pretty casual dress as well. The thing that sticks in my mind is the eat when you want to on Princess. It doesn't work as smoothly as on NCL but is better than assigned eating times. The other option, eat in the buffets on formal nights. No, this isn't an ideal solution but is better than nothing. Stay away from Celebrity and HAL, they are much more formal. You would feel out of place I am afraid. NCL will still give you more of what you want.

Nita

I just returned from a cruise on Sapphire Princess and I had the Anytime dining which is similar to NCL Freestyle.

The first formal nights did see 90% of people dressed to the nines. Men were in tuxes or full suits with ties. I felt very comfortable and fashionable in black evening trousers, black flat shoes, a dressy short sleeve sweater and a shawl. The second formal night was a lot less formal with men in slacks, collared polo shirts and jackets and women in dresses or pant suit type attire.

No need for high heels.:) Enjoy.

Hi Jaimie,

Oh, you will love the Star. And the Mexican Riviera. Happy anniversary!

I was in a mini-suite on the Star too, so I have a teeny hint of advice for you: The closet is a bit awkward in that room but unless you know about it, you think there's no light. There is! There's a button, at about eye level, straight back. It seems like such a little thing, but what a difference it made when we found it!

Take some good coffee with you and some fluted filters. You have a four-cup maker in your room; you can get cream or milk onboard and keep it in your fridge. There's nothing like a cup of coffee, when you want it, while sitting on your balcony.

Oooooh, I am sooooo envious of you! Have a wonderful, wonderful trip.

Jana

Jana,

We are MAJOR coffee drinkers, thanks for the tip on bringing our own along. I am hooked on SF Vanilla Caramel creamer but guess I'll have to do without that week. I might try bringing some powdered but it's just not the same. :o

I had read previously about the lights in the closets and have made a mental note to take a look for it when we get there! What a strange place to put the switch!

Several other lines have an open dining option (Princess-Anytime Dining, HAL-As You Wish). There is no other mass market line that I know of that will have the relaxed dress code that you find on NCL.

We have enjoyed both styles of dining and would never (at least for now, never say never) sail NCL exclusively just because of Freestyle Dining.

Charlie

I will not go on any line that does not offer some form of freestyle dining. We do like to dress up on formal night and really don't think the "relaxed" dress code on NCL is much different than other lines. The majority of men will be dressed in golf shirts, sports shirts and slacks, while the women will be dressed in a blouse and slacks as well the dining room.

I look at NCL first, have gone on Princess with mixed experiences but all in all I prefer NCL. The level of service is pretty much the same on the mass market lines but have enjoyed the overall experience on NCL better than Princess. To me, it was a much more fun experience.

Jana,

We are MAJOR coffee drinkers, thanks for the tip on bringing our own along. I am hooked on SF Vanilla Caramel creamer but guess I'll have to do without that week. I might try bringing some powdered but it's just not the same. :o

You can bring your favorite creamer if you would like. Get a very small, soft sided cooler/bag...like an insulated bag kids use as lunch bags. Put your cold creamer in that and put it in your carry on. Once on board, stash it in your fridge.

Have a wonderful trip!

CG

I have sailed on both Princess and NCL and I really didn't find much difference in the dine anytime you wish. We were on the Crown last November and whenever we went to eat, there was never a wait and we got everything we wanted. It was like going to your favorite restaurant at the time you chose. I like the new boards on the new NCL ships that tell you which restaurant is busy and which can take you right away so there is no "seeing" who has space.

It really depends on the type of cruise you are looking for. NCL is a much more bright and colorfully decorated ship, whereas Princess is more muted and refined, but not stuffy like some other lines. My son and daughter loved the pizza anytime in the cabin and had it delivered a couple of times on Princess.

Have a great time! We are on the Gem in 12 days!:D

To us NCL and Princess are very similar. We chose to eat at the speciality restaurants only once for each cruise, so NCL's larger choice of speciality restaurants wasn't a factor for us. On our 2 Princess cruises, I would say that the majority of people did NOT "dress to the nines" on formal night. The majority wore what I'd call Sunday clothes. We saw almost as many "dressed to the nines" on NCL on our single NCL cruise. We actually enjoyed Princess a little better, but not enough to spend the extra bucks when NCL has an itinerary we like as well or better than the Princess itinerary. We chose NCL for our next cruise based on itinerary and expect to thoroughly enjoy ourselves. Which ever one you choose, you'll love cruising!

To us NCL and Princess are very similar. We chose to eat at the speciality restaurants only once for each cruise, so NCL's larger choice of speciality restaurants wasn't a factor for us. On our 2 Princess cruises, I would say that the majority of people did NOT "dress to the nines" on formal night. The majority wore what I'd call Sunday clothes. We saw almost as many "dressed to the nines" on NCL on our single NCL cruise. We actually enjoyed Princess a little better, but not enough to spend the extra bucks when NCL has an itinerary we like as well or better than the Princess itinerary. We chose NCL for our next cruise based on itinerary and expect to thoroughly enjoy ourselves. Which ever one you choose, you'll love cruising!
I would pretty much agree but I do think they dressed for formal nights a little more on Princess. DH choose to do the sport jacket thing but we did see several suits and some tuxes, on NCL I don't think I have seen more than one or two in tux for 5 years or more. for the women I think the dress is similar on both lines. the rest of the nights, yes, it is almost identical...

We even saw a few, both men and women in shorts on Princess. It did floor me to no end.

Nita

Jaimie --

First, have a WONDERFUL time on your cruise! I'm certain that you will. In response to your question, we have sailed many other lines (as you can see in my signature), and we keep coming back to NCL for the reasons that you mentioned. We don't particulary like formal nights, and we love the option of having many dining venues and being able to vary our dining times from night to night. We have also found that we change our minds on exactly what we want to do each night, often at the last minute. When we have had traditional dining arrangements, we have found that we have felt compelled to go to dinner as to not be "no shows." On our last cruise, we were seated with one other couple (only). If we failed to show up, they would dine alone. They kind of made it clear at our first dinner together that they would be sad if this happened. Sigh.

So, I won't say that I WON'T sail another line in the future, but NCL is where we feel most "at home."

You can bring your favorite creamer if you would like. Get a very small, soft sided cooler/bag...like an insulated bag kids use as lunch bags. Put your cold creamer in that and put it in your carry on. Once on board, stash it in your fridge.

Have a wonderful trip!

CG

Just make sure NOT to put it in your carry on if your flying!!!! TSA will take it!

Thanks!!!

We LOVED the Star and the Mexican Riviera! Have a blast! For our anniversary were doing the Pearl 14 day Panama Canal;)

Just make sure NOT to put it in your carry on if your flying!!!! TSA will take it!

Just go to a market on your way to the ship and buy the creamer that you want. No problem with bringing it onboard.

I've done 2 cruises, one on Princess(Island Princess) and one on NCL (Norwegian Star). They were both in similar category balcony rooms (Deck 11 and Deck 10, midship), so the comparisons were pretty close. I wish I could combine the best of both to create a new cruiseline. I loved the cabin better on NCL, but I loved the 2nd pool on Princess, and I loved the "stadium" setup of the lounge chairs around the pool on NCL. As for the "formal" night, I just took along my black Tshirt dress and a pair of Merrell flats and had no problem. Sure, there were people wearing tuxes and ballgowns, but I didn't care. With my black dress, I felt like I was at least living by the spirit of the formal night. I liked the choice of restaurants better on NCL, even if they are more fee than free. I liked the shopping area better on Princess. I liked the gym better on NCL. I can go on and on. You'll do fine on either line, but if the formal night aspect of Princess really has you worried, try NCL first, then Princess.

Archived