Not enough Kids on board??

desperatewifeandmother

We are on the Emerald Princess January 9/08 for a 10 day Carribean Itinerary. This is the only time we can get away as a Family and a first cruise for our children Ages 8,12 & 13.

I just spoke with Princess and found out that as of today, there is 36 Children booked for this Cruise(including mine). The breakdown is 2 kids 7 and under, 16 kids ages 8-12, and 16 kids 13-17.

How about it, will they still have a good time? Will they have to modify the programs since there is'nt that many Kids?

I knew that there would'nt be as many on this sailing but I originally thought this might not be a bad thing but now I'm second guessing myself!!!:eek:

My kids (11 and 9) very much prefer when there are less kids on board. The counselors get to know each kids very well, gearing activities more towards the kids likes and dislikes. On each cruise they have been on there have been less than 40 kids onboard. On our last Celebrity cruise we heard that the following trip there were about 400 kids scheduled to be onboard. My kids were happy to be on the sailing they were on.

That breakdown sounds great. Enough kids for yours to make friends, but not too many so as to be overwhelming. We have never done Princess as a family, so I am not sure if they alter the program or not depending on number of kids, but either way your family will have a great vacation.

I have to laugh that you are starting them on a 10 day cruise. We did the same thing, and they cannot imagine going on anything shorter.

Have a great trip!

Kim

I have to laugh that you are starting them on a 10 day cruise. We did the same thing, and they cannot imagine going on anything shorter.

Have a great trip!

Kim[/quote

Thanks for the quick reply, I'm hoping they might find it easier to settle in without so many kids, my 12 year old , in particular, is'nt crazy about crowds.

As for the 10 days well, my DH wanted to do a 14 Day but I got him down to 10 but we are spending an extra 3 days in Fort Lauderdale. I have nightmares that 1 or all 3 will be sea sick!! Flights are also quite costly from here so we might as well make it worth our while!!:D

Since the staff will be there whether there are 30 or 400, the only altering they might do would be to tailor the program to the tastes of the kids present. And more individual attention. With fewer kids in the groups, they might be able to do more things in the public areas than they would with a very large group. EM

We have sailed 4 times when the number of kids was less than 50. The staff is able to be more flexible. My kids have gotten to vote on activities for the following evening. More than once counselors have asked permission to take a group (kids who are interest) to see the show, or go have a "treat" in the buffet, or other things around the ship.

One of the best trips we had was Panama Canal when there was only 23 kids aboard. My son was one of only 3 teens on board. The two other teens did not speak English. The teen counselor spent every evening with my son. He realized that the other two teens liked to play poker. They asked if it was ok with me to play (no money involved) each evening in the teen club. The counselor had "mocktails" brought up from the bar. He had trays of snacks. Every night the game seemed to grow with other "off duty" employees. My son had a great time.

I can tell you from experience that they will have a great time. It doesn't take a lot of kids for others to have a nice time. All they need is just a few close to their ages and I am sure they will be very happy.

Have a great time.

Keith

First of all, the 8 year old is probably the one that is going to enjoy going to the kids programs. 12 and 13 year olds will meet kids around the ship or at the pool area- although I would encourage them to go to the kids program at least the first night. They'll make buddies- don't worry.

Emerald is a nice ship with an outdoor movie theatre, nice freshwater pools and hot tubs. The kids will have the pools largely to themselves and it will be fun for them.

Go and relax. I think it is nicer to travel off season because there are usually too many kids on Caribbean cruises during holidays.

When I first started cruising as a child, it was not considered a 'family' vacation, so even over Christmas, there were generally fewer than 20 kids on board. The thing is, though, that there are always 'some', and that's enough. My sister and I always made at least one new friend and found things to do that were fun - and remember, this is LOOOOOOONG before Kid's Clubs, playzones and arcades. :p

Keep in mind, too, that in the unlikely event that there are not 'enough' kids on board, that means that all the supervisors in the Kid's club will have that much more time and attention to give to the ones who are there... and what kid doesn't like extra attention? :)

We went on princess 2 years ago for 10 day new years cruise. Only 30 kids on board. All the kids became great friends and like they said above the counslers really got to know them and they did great activites. It is still one of their favorite trips.:o

Archived