How would you classify the various cruise lines?

I've sailed with Royal Caribbean - next week it will be 3 times. I have never sailed any other line (not for any particular reason...it's just turned out that way). I've been reading several of the forums here, and it seems that there are pros and cons to every line.

Today I was reading a thread on the Carnival forum, and someone mentioned that Carnival is a budget line.

As a fairly new cruiser, there's no way I would know that Carnival would be considered budget. What other lines do you consider budget? I think I know what the higher-end lines are based on prices, but I guess I had never noticed that Carnival was a whole lot less expensive than Royal Caribbean.

I'd like some opinions on the different cruise lines...kind of a scale from low budget to higher end, and why...and yes, I realize this is very subjective.

Budget? No, I don't think I would classify Carnival that way. Royal and Carnival offer a very similar product, but through the economies of scale, Carnival is able to offer that product for less money. I call it "bang for the buck". If I had to identify any one mainstream cruise line as "budget", I would say it would be NCL, IMHO.

Many would also consider RCL a budget priced line. I would consider NCL about the bottom in many ways, then Carnival and RCL and maybe just a teensy bit more is Princess, but at any time any one of these cruiselines can be less expensive than the others. I did RCL for $349 the spring before last, so far thats my least expensive 7 days.

2008 Cruise Critic Editors’ Picks Awards Winners

Cruise Critic's editorial team is pleased to bring you the 2008 Cruise Critic Editors’ Picks Awards. We've combined our cruising expertise to come up with a list of cruise lines that offer a superior cruising experience in a variety of categories. Now we're honoring those lines with our best-in-class awards. Please join us in saying a heartfelt "thank you" to all the cruise lines that have gone above and beyond industry standards to make vacations at sea so wonderful!

If you want nothing but the best on your next cruise, check out our list of the 2008 best cruise lines.

Cruising’s Best

Best Family Cruise Ships – Royal Caribbean International

Best Luxury Cruise Ships – Crystal Cruises

Best Dining – Oceania Cruises

Best for Romance – Princess Cruises

Best Spa and Fitness – Royal Caribbean International

Best Cabins – Holland America Line

Best Value for Money – Carnival Cruise Lines

Best Itineraries – Azamara Cruises

Best Entertainment – Norwegian Cruise Line

Best Shore Excursions – Carnival Cruise Lines

Best Family Cruises

Best Kids’ Programs – Disney Cruise Line

Best Teen Programs – Royal Caribbean International

Best Multi-Generational – Princess Cruises – Grand Class

Best Luxury Cruises

Best Luxury Dining – Crystal Cruises

Best Luxury Service – SeaDream Yacht Club

Best Luxury Staterooms – Regent Seven Seas Cruises

Best Dining

Best Main Restaurant – Carnival Cruise Lines – Conquest Class

Best Specialty Restaurants – Oceania Cruises

Best Healthful & Alternative Dining – Celebrity Cruises

Best for Romance

Best for Honeymoons – Windstar Cruises

Best for Weddings – Princess Cruises

Best for Couples – Regent Seven Seas Cruises’ Paul Gauguin

Best Spa, Recreation and Fitness

Best Pool Deck – Royal Caribbean International – Voyager/Freedom Classes

Best for Fitness Enthusiasts – Royal Caribbean International

Best Spas – Costa Cruises' Samsara Spa – Concordia Class

Best Cabins

Best Standard Staterooms – Holland America Line – Signature Class

Best Suites – Norwegian Cruise Line – Jewel Class

Best Family Cabins – Disney Cruise Line

Hi,

We went on HAL for our first 5 cruises because we had a good time on each cruise. Then we decided to try other lines and we have really enjoyed other lines (except for Carnival). We have went on RCCL, Celebrity, Costa and Princess in addition to our HAL cruises.

We continue to look for cruises based on where they are going and when rather than the cruise line which greatly opens up our options.

As far as what cruise lines are "budget" and which aren't I'm not sure I'm qualified to answer that question. For the most part, similar cabins on all the lines that we have sailed on have been about equal (we are talking real prices not brochure ones).

I shop at our internet TA and others including the cruise line before we pick a cruise.

Our last cruise was on Princess and our next one is on HAL but our one after that could be on any of the ones we have been on except for Carnival.

By the way our experience on Carnival was the food was less acceptable than other cruise lines and even though we had a suite cabin the amendities including the service were not equal to the other cruise lines we had sailed on (IOHO). MY wife will not allow me to book another Carnival cruise no matter how good the deal.

Have a great next cruise (hopefully on another cruise line just to give them a try).

For me, I would consider Costa, MSC and NCL as budget. Then you have the big four in the luxury business which are Seabourn, Silversea, Regent and Crystal. Some put lines like Azamara, Oceania, Celebrity, Cunard, HAL and Princess in the premium category with everyone else just a notch below. I don't consider Carnival as budget and they really do have a nice product

I've sailed with Royal Caribbean - next week it will be 3 times. I have never sailed any other line (not for any particular reason...it's just turned out that way). I've been reading several of the forums here, and it seems that there are pros and cons to every line.

Today I was reading a thread on the Carnival forum, and someone mentioned that Carnival is a budget line.

As a fairly new cruiser, there's no way I would know that Carnival would be considered budget. What other lines do you consider budget? I think I know what the higher-end lines are based on prices, but I guess I had never noticed that Carnival was a whole lot less expensive than Royal Caribbean.

I'd like some opinions on the different cruise lines...kind of a scale from low budget to higher end, and why...and yes, I realize this is very subjective.

Sometimes it just depends who's offering the best deals. I've seen where Carnival can be slightly higher priced than other cruise lines. However, I got one of the best deals to the Med. this past August and Carnival beat out everyone else (base rate - inside).

Archived