Would A January Mexican Riviera Cruise be Too Cold

jasmith52

Is it too cold to take a Mexican Riviera cruise in January ?

Would it be too cold out on the deck to sunbake when at sea at that time ?

Should I wait a couple of months until the weather is somewhat warmer ?

Please post your experience and thoughts with January cruises to the Mexican Riviera.

Is it too cold to take a Mexican Riviera cruise in January ?

Would it be too cold out on the deck to sunbake when at sea at that time ?

Should I wait a couple of months until the weather is somewhat warmer ?

Please post your experience and thoughts with January cruises to the Mexican Riviera.

It's a crapshoot to say the least. We did it last January and the weather even in Cabo was wonderful. We are not big sun worshipers anymore and yet did get a few hours of rays 2 separate days. Other years it has been to cold to even walk on the deck. Well, maybe that is a slight exageration. If you have a choise I would wait til mid April (after kids are back in school from spring break) Just my opinion. We did Jan cause we got such a great deal (not on NCL bty)

Nita

We have cruised the Mexican Riviera in January and October. Both times the weather was great! The water was nice in Cabo and perfect in Puerto Vallarta. We got a little sprinkle in Mazatlan in January, and it was HOT and sunny in PV. (it was hot and sunny on our October cruise too)

We loved it and would go back in a heartbeat!

HTH,

Starr :)

There's something really great about flying out of a cold climate in Winter and landing in Paradise. One of my trips to Mexico in January was one of the bext I ever took. It was not a cruise, but I can't imagine a cruise not being as spectacular.

As the previous posters said," it's a crap shoot".

We sailed the day after Christmas in 2004 we were freezing. We were in Belize for New Years Eve and we had the heat on in our stateroom. Cold as hell, raining like crazy. HORRIABLE WEATHER.

We vowed to go back to our Feb Presidents Week -- Not been dissapointed yet for that time frame since 1979 !

However, my neice took the same identical cruise as me and boarded as I left on January 2nd -- she had great weather -- so you just never know.

There's something really great about flying out of a cold climate in Winter and landing in Paradise. One of my trips to Mexico in January was one of the bext I ever took. It was not a cruise, but I can't imagine a cruise not being as spectacular.

Did you do the Mexican Riv or the gulf? We have found the weather in Dec and Jan on the gulf side very nice...

Nita

We loved NCL Star in February when it did the 8 night cruise to Alcapulco and Ixtapa because the temps were so much warmer that far south than in Cabo and PV. Alcapulco was about 87 and the water was almost the same temperature. I think Ixtapa/Zihuantenejo is probably Mexico's most beautiful port. It is where they filmed the old movie classic: "From Here to Eternity."

We love winter cruises and were very disappointed when NCL changed their itinerary this year. The only ship going to Alcapulco that I could find was Carnival Spirit sailing from San Diego.

When we were docked in Cabo, we met passengers from the Princess ship who were very disappointed with their itinerary of Cabo, Mazatlan, and Puerto Vallarta. Those ports are great during the winter for people who want warm temps for sightseeing rather than tropical temps for ocean swimming. Even Hawaii is not like the Caribbean during the winter. We are from New England so swimming in Cabo where the air temp was about 78 and the ocean was about 70 was like being on Cape Cod in the summer.

I think if you check the lattitude for Alcapulco, you will see it is further south than Cozumel is on the Caribbean side of Mexico.

I personally think that January, February and March are wonderful times to sail the Mexican Riviera! Not only is the temperature great, it is also the time of year that the whales migrate. Having a whale swimming along side of our ship was one of my highlights of the Mexican Riviera.

Happy Sailing!

T.J.

I personally think that January, February and March are wonderful times to sail the Mexican Riviera! Not only is the temperature great, it is also the time of year that the whales migrate. Having a whale swimming along side of our ship was one of my highlights of the Mexican Riviera.

Happy Sailing!

T.J.

The Whales are one of the most exciting things about the mid winter sailings.

Nita

Nita - I have been all over Mexico - Pacific and Gulf - but I think this particular trip was to PV.

My next cruise is Feb 2009 and I will leave Dallas (cold) fly to Santiago (warm) cruise the cape and go to Antarctica (cold) cruise to BA (warm) and fly to Dallas (cold). What an adventure to pack for!!!!

We did January to Mex Riv this year and the weather was rainy leaving LA, so the first day there wasn't really any sun. Cabo was very warm. Mazatlan was a little chilly. PV was warm and beautiful. On the way back we had one sunny day at sea. The next day was overcast and rainy. Since we're not much for sun worshipping it was fine for us, so much, in fact we're doing it again this coming Jan. There are so many actitivies inside that it doesn't really matter. It's a great cruise and January rates are unbeatable. :)

• 2 months later...
As the previous posters said," it's a crap shoot".

We sailed the day after Christmas in 2004 we were freezing. We were in Belize for New Years Eve and we had the heat on in our stateroom. Cold as hell, raining like crazy. HORRIABLE WEATHER.

We vowed to go back to our Feb Presidents Week -- Not been dissapointed yet for that time frame since 1979 !

However, my neice took the same identical cruise as me and boarded as I left on January 2nd -- she had great weather -- so you just never know.

An update to this post...

We did do a January Mexican Riviera cruise after all. The weather wasn't freezing or anything but it was too cool to stay out on the deck when out at sea. Cabo and PV were wonderfully warm but Mazatlan was chilly on the day we were there.

Our balcony was next to useless. Who wants to sit outside when it's cold out. To be fair we did sit out there when leaving port from cabo and PV though and that was nice. However other than that we didn't use it.

In hindsight I would now wait until March or so to do the cruise even if it costs hundreds more. The weather makes all the difference. In my opinion it was a mistake to cruise the MexRiv in January.

- Just my two cents. Feel free to flame away.

An update to this post...

We did do a January Mexican Riviera cruise after all. The weather wasn't freezing or anything but it was too cool to stay out on the deck when out at sea. Cabo and PV were wonderfully warm but Mazatlan was chilly on the day we were there.

Our balcony was next to useless. Who wants to sit outside when it's cold out. To be fair we did sit out there when leaving port from cabo and PV though and that was nice. However other than that we didn't use it.

In hindsight I would now wait until March or so to do the cruise even if it costs hundreds more. The weather makes all the difference. In my opinion it was a mistake to cruise the MexRiv in January.

- Just my two cents. Feel free to flame away.

Thank you for your review. I love laying out and the beaches. I was debating on doing the Mex Riv in February, and now I know to wait and do it in April. Thanks

It can be hit or miss. Went in early March, in port it was great, but as soon as you hit the sea it was very chilly. I remember laying on deck the last day to get some rays, if the sun was fully out ok, but a little cloud and you grabed a towel. And yep remember taking a nap on the balcony, but under the comforter on the bed, I was very cozy then. All in all I would have prefered it to be a bit warmer, but sure had a great time!

Definitely not a "shake and bake" lay-in-the-sun kinda cruise for us either.

We did this cruise last March, with a sailing out of San Diego. It was pretty breezy at sea (more hot tub action than pool!) but the ports were wonderful & warm!

Had a great time regardless!

For me I get cabin fever when I can't hang out outdoors. I can only go through the gift shops so many times before I get that housebound feeling.

Weather really does make a huge difference in the cruise for me. When the weather is nice I love being on the ships. When it's cold out I feel sort of like a caged animal.

I can't imagine why someone would flame you for posting what you did, but then again.. I have been flamed for less.. LOL..

Im sorry it was a bit too cold for you. I was worried it would be. I did not see your original post or I would have said that. We cruised the week after Thanksgiving in 2007, and until the first sea day our balcony was too cold for me. Once we woke up that first morning though, it was nice, however I do have to say cold doesn't bother me THAT bad, so I may not be the best to judge. The water at the beaches was FREEZING and I did not enjoy getting in the ocean at all. With that said, that is not that big of a deal with me as I really just go to the beach to enjoy the beauty of the beach, not really to play in the water. Usually I get in.. get wet.. and am out within 20 or 30 minutes.

How was the rest of your trip? Did you enjoy the Star? She is our favorite ship so far.

Terrymtex01:

I see you've been on the Pearl. We've been on the Pearl and Jewell and will now try the Star. What makes the Star your favorite?

Gosh.. it's one of those things thats hard to put into words. The ship was just a good fit for us. The crew we found to be outstanding. We liked the food and the restaurants. As far as just the ship, the Pearl is beautiful and VERY well laid out. Would not hesitate to sail on her again. It's just the two cruises we have had on the Star were amazingly good to us. LOL..I know I haven't answered your question.. but it's really the best I can do.

Archived