Headliner Entertainment - Not available in advance

I always contact C & A prior to a sailing to get a lineup of entertainment on our ship. To date, I have always received this information, UNTIL NOW. I just received the following email:

Dear Tim:

Thank you for your recent e-mail regarding the entertainment onboard the Majesty of the Seas. We apologize for any delay in our response. During your cruise vacation, you may choose from hundreds of activities to participate in. You may find a listing of all of the entertainment options available in your Cruise Compass. Unfortunately, we are unable to advise as to the headliner entertainers onboard your specific sailing.

Royal Caribbean International offers a wide variety activities onboard all of our ships for your enjoyment during your cruise vacation. Some of our activity options include the following:

Shipshape Program

Rock Wall Experience*

Golf Simulators*

Mini Golf*

Basketball Court*

Ice Skating on Voyager Class Ships

In Line Skating on Voyager Class Ships

70s Disco Night

Dancing Thru the Decades and Rock and Roll Night

Dancing Under the Stars (by the pool)

Love & Marriage Game

Team Trivia

Daily Trivia

Library Cards and Board Games

Arts & Craft Lessons

Nightclub

Captains Welcome Aboard Reception

First-Time Cruisers Club

Honeymooners Reception

Sail Away Festivities

Dance classes

Bingo

Karaoke Singles Get Together

Please note: There are a variety of additional activities available that differ by ship, cruise length, itinerary that may not be listed.

* Available on select Royal Caribbean ships.

Tim, we look forward to welcoming you onboard soon.

Sincerely,

Stephanie Florence

Crown & Anchor Society

I like to google the headliners prior to sailing to see what we have ahead of us, not any more. It is not a big deal but I kind of liked to know prior.

Tim

It may be that your request was made too early and the entertainment schedule hadn't been firmed up at the time. You might wait another week or two and make a second request. We are sailing on Jewel of the Seas next week and I requested and received the entertainment schedule for that cruise a few weeks ago. You might also check the roll call threads to see if anyone has recently returned from a cruise on your ship. Some of the entertainers may be onboard for a series of cruises and, at the very least, the production shows are unlikely to change before your cruise. You should also remember that even when RCI does provide that information it is always subject to a last minute change.:)

Oh well! It's not like you'd actually recognize the headliners anyway. They are sort of "B" list entertainers--doing the cruiseline circuit. Few, if any, are known nationally.

You are correct in this statement, however, that is the very reason I google them. Actually, several cruises we have been on, had I not done the google search on the priior to the cruise, I might not have went to see them but after reading about them we decided to go to the show.

You would be surprized at the number of entertainers we have actually recongnized that have been on Jay Leno, David Letterman, and other comedy shows. The google search works great for this.

Tim

Oh well! It's not like you'd actually recognize the headliners anyway. They are sort of "B" list entertainers--doing the cruiseline circuit. Few, if any, are known nationally.

While that may be true in many instances, it is still possible to google them and find out a little about them and their background and their talent. On occasion we have found that an unfamiliar name belongs to an entertainer we have actually seen before on TV but whose name we didn't recognize. On some of our cruises the headliners have been "names" that you and I would readily recognize: Frankie Avalon, Joanne Worley, Robert Klein, Marty Allen, Herb Reed and the Platters, Jay Johnson,and others who while certainly not in the prime of their careers, still possess a lot of talent and are great entertainers. Others such as Dave Morgan and Judy Kolba have a considerable following among veteran cruisers. Knowing in advance that they will be on your cruise may help you plan your evenings.:)

It will be very disappointing if it is now the policy of RCI not to provide this information.:(

I know one of our roll call members for our Mariner November 16th sailing tried to find out what/who the lineup was for our cruise and could not get that information. Last year we were able to know ahead of time. I wonder what RCI's reason is for not giving out that information anymore?

Insofar as a previous poster (CB) said that it doesn't matter anyways because they are "B" list entertainers - I also like to Google the entertainer and see where I may know them from.

I know one of our roll call members for our Mariner November 16th sailing tried to find out what/who the lineup was for our cruise and could not get that information. Last year we were able to know ahead of time. I wonder what RCI's reason is for not giving out that information anymore?

Insofar as a previous poster (CB) said that it doesn't matter anyways because they are "B" list entertainers - I also like to Google the entertainer and see where I may know them from.

It must be a very recent development, since I am sailing on the Jewel of the Seas on October 28th and was able to get the information I requested. Not sure I can think of any good reason for the change. I doubt that they get that many requests for it and I also doubt that many people cancel their cruise because they are unfamiliar with the entertainers who will be performing.:D

I agree with you about googling the entertainers names to learn more about them, but some people suffer from a lack of imagination and can't understand why anyone would have an opinion different from theirs. :rolleyes:

Dear Sir or Madam:

Thank you for your email. We apologize for the delay in our response.

Per your request, here is the expected entertainment line-up for your sailing on the Jewel of the Seas. Please bear in mind that while this is the expected entertainment schedule, our entertainment options are subject to change. At this time, we cannot guarantee that a latin trio will be performing, and apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.

November 7 thru November 17 Panama Canal & Caribbean - 10 nights

PAUL & MARLISE BOLAND SINGER/IMPRESSIONIST

SIGMUND GROVEN NORWEGIAN CLASSICAL HARMONIST

TOM COTTER COMEDIAN

HAL FRAZIER SINGER

MARIO & DANIEL COMEDY DUO

JUDY KOLBA SINGER/COMEDIAN/IMPRESSIONIST

RICK NOVELL JUGGLER

TANGO SHOW TANGO SHOW

SIMON JOHN COCKTAIL PIANIST

STANLEY'S TRIO CENTRUM TRIO

PRODUCTION SHOWS: CITY OF DREAMS - WEST END TO BROADWAY - TANGO BUENOS AIRES

Thank you for choosing Royal Caribbean International.

Sincerely,

Unless you actually plan to cancel the cruise because you don't like the comedian, there's nothing much to be gained by knowing in advance who will be there, and it could still change at the last minute anyway.

I think it is part of the fun of anticipating a cruise. You find out who may be there and then look them up on-line. Sometimes it makes me attend a show because I recognize them and want to see it. No--I wouldn't cancel a cruise for the lack of A list entertainment.

We did see Charo on our first cruise in 1997 or 98. She is actually a very talented classical guitar player. She did the choochie-coo stuff in first part of show because that is what folks expect. Then second half--people were blown away by her talent. They used to book groups like Sha-Na-Na (although it was probably only Na!!!!

Archived