Should I buy the soda package

oavcech95

Buy a soda package  

27 members have voted

1. 1. Buy a soda package

• Yes
    • No

It' for any kind of "fountain" soda--Personally, I wouldn't let my kids have unlimited sodas, but....

You can buy a can of soda without a "card". You really need to determine if they will "make this pay" or not. You'll probably need to have each of them drink about 4-5 sodas a day....(that's alot!) to make it pay.

We are not going to get it for our kids on our 4 nighter. To make it pay you need to drink 4-5 sodas a day. I don't want them to have that much soda, they don't get it very often at home so I don't think they need it on vacation, water is way better and free.:D We will let them have one at dinner a couple nights.

I say no to the soda card even though we previously purchased them. I don't think any of us drank enough soda to break even. Plus, sometimes you had to go out of your way to use it. It was difficult for my grandma, who likes a Diet Coke first thing in the morning, to get one then because the bars were all closed. Plus, I sometimes felt the bartenders were annoyed when I wanted to use it. Overall, I don't think that I'll buy one again. However, if you do the math and think that you'll drink a ton of soda, it may work out better for you.

My guess is the break-even point is 4 sodas / day to make the card worth it from a money perspective. If your kids don't have charging capabilities on their card and you want them to be able to get a drink the card makes it easy. I have bought the card in the past for my kids but I doubt we ever really got to the point where it was cheaper than just buying a drink when they wanted it. However, they aren't huge soda fans.

BTW - A bigger issue for me was to keep my kids from running up their pool bar bill for smoothies!

Well kind off, if is 1 card for your family, no, but if is like for you and more friends, still is no.

The soda card is not sold as a "family card" but rather as an individual card. Breaking the rules of use to me is a form of stealing clear and simple.

Well so if they are individual the packages are crazy.

They are individual packages sold on a "one person per package" basis. This is true for virtually every cruise line that offers the soda packages. Some people drink quite a lot of soda regularly; others allow themselves or their children to indulge when on vacation only, so they buy the soda package for each person; some people like the convenience of not having to pay for sodas individually throughout the day. It depends on how much soda you will drink as to whether it is a good deal.

The soda "card" is not a card, but is a sticker that is placed on the ship card of the person who purchases it. It's not a separate card that you can hand around and share. IMO, it is wrong to try to buy one package and use it for a family or a group because it is not sold as a "group" item.

Whenever it's allowed, we bring on cans of our favorite sodas. That's partly because the choices onboard are fairly limited and do not include the ones I drink. We usually have one or two cans a day. Where the soda package really pays off for us is the club soda/seltzer, which is included with the package and is our favorite beverage. We each buy the soda package for that reason alone. We do not care for the syrupy fountain soda and skip those entirely.

beachchick

I myself have never purchased a soda card but I am thinking about it for my next cruise. This is my kids first cruise and I know at home they do drink some soda so I believe the cards will be okay for me. I also thought I heard somewhere that there are some drinks besides soda that they can get with the card. I don't like soda at all so no card for me. Now if there was a card for sweet tea, then I would be all over it :D .

I myself have never purchased a soda card but I am thinking about it for my next cruise. This is my kids first cruise and I know at home they do drink some soda so I believe the cards will be okay for me. I also thought I heard somewhere that there are some drinks besides soda that they can get with the card. I don't like soda at all so no card for me. Now if there was a card for sweet tea, then I would be all over it :D .

To the best of my knowledge, on RCCL, the Soda Card gets you exactly that; soda. If you want juice (ie: at the bars) you will have to pay for that as that is definately not included with the soda card.

• 1 month later...

Archived