Multiple cruise ships in San Pedro

hel0013

We got a message from Princess that on the day of embarkation there will be 3 ships in Port where our ship, the Island Princess, will be at Pier 91. They went on to say that it will be extremely busy and not to show up before the 12:00 check in time or we will be turned away as there is no adequate facilities available.

I can understand 3 ships trying to disembark several thousands of pax at once that it will be a zoo prior to embarking the same amount. Is this a normal occurance for San Pedro? Are we in for a long wait?

Thanks

We got a message from Princess that on the day of embarkation there will be 3 ships in Port where our ship, the Island Princess, will be at Pier 91. They went on to say that it will be extremely busy and not to show up before the 12:00 check in time or we will be turned away as there is no adequate facilities available.

I can understand 3 ships trying to disembark several thousands of pax at once that it will be a zoo prior to embarking the same amount. Is this a normal occurance for San Pedro? Are we in for a long wait?

Thanks

It's a normal occurence during peak cruise times. Can't comment on how long you may wait.

Welcome to San Peeeedro!!!

On my last cruise, the docs said to arrive after 1pm (that was three years ago:( but I imagine it's not different at the present), but we got there at 12:15 and were able to check in immediately. It's all about timing. I think my ship was the only one that day as it was a weekday, but on our disembarkation day, there were two ships. Just means more cars coming in and out, but there's still plenty of parking. Maybe with three ships, the port personnel are more spread thin.

Thank you for the replies... :)

Our last cruise was out of Miami where RCI said not to show up before 2 PM but we had no where else to go so we showed up at noon expecting to wait in line but got on within 30 minutes.

My knee jerk reaction was that this was the same thing so we thought we'd ask if anyone else experienced long waits at San Pedro when 3 ships were docked.

Would that San Pedro were as nice and efficient a cruise terminal as Miami or FLL - both of them are terminals devoted only to cruise ships and several at one time is no problem except for occasional traffic jams going in or out over the causeway bridge. On the other hand, San Pedro is primarily a commercial port for LosAngeles with a couple of berths used by cruise ships. In the summer there is not even one cruise ship daily, but after the ships come off the Alaska run and are going to Mexico or Hawaii, there may be as many as three on one day - logjam city for a few hours. Let the crowds go ahead of you; eat a quiet lunch nearby and then head for the pier:)

As others have said there are normally two or three ships at San Pedro.

This port is not the most organized port so just be prepared that it might be crowded. In my opinion part of the disorganization is due to the port security. They don't do a good job noting which doors you will enter so people end up standing in multiple places not knowing where the true line forms.

Keith

I arrived shortly before 11:00am on a day when three ships were in port. They don't turn you away. Also, simply put, it is not that bad. Just find your ship and you will be fine. Pier 91 uses the blue tent. Pier 92 uses the building facing east. Pier 93 uses the building facing north.

This photo was taken before the big blue tent was set up. The Monarch is docked at pier 93 ...

SanPedro.jpg

Here are three ships in port ...

Cruise_Aerial_1.jpg

Cruise_Aerial_2.jpg

There were three ships in port (the picture is being taken from the third ship) ...

IMG_1528.jpg

This photo shows the big blue tent just as they are starting to build it ...

SanPedro.jpg

Thank you all and to Cuizer2 for taking the time to post the pics and information. It was a tremendous help. :)

In their message, Princess made it sound like everyone will be in the same spot at one Terminal when all we have to do is recognize our ship and go to it. (The tent) :)

Archived