Internet question from computer illiterate

Ryten

Will be sailing on CB in a suite. Have a laptop that I usually plug into phone line for internet access. Is it worth bringing on board? Will I be able to plug in in the suite. What is Wi Fi? Do I need special equipment?

Hi - My thoughts are definately forget the phone access. As far as wifi is concerned it is the only way to go. Go to your local computer store (Best Buy, Comp USA, etc.) to get an explanation of how it works and equipment required. The cost is minimal if your laptop will support it. Most later laptops have wifi built in. Hope this helps.

Depending on the age of your computer, you may or may not have wireless capabilities. With that said, I have an external wireless card that goes on my laptop and works just fine.

I believe I had heard that CB had wireless available in the rooms but do not have any personal knowledge about that. Since you're in a suite, unless you just really love carrying around your laptop, you could just as easily use the computers on board. I've never had to wait for one -- so the choice is yours.

Many people (not in suites) bring their laptops so they can compose their e-mails offline and then upload them not using many minutes.

Hope this makes sense.

Bringing a laptop is decision that should be determined by what are you going to be doing with it. I take mine on most cruises because I download my pictures from my digital cameras once I get back onboard and my wife occasionally uses it to play games in the cabin.

I have never used my laptop to try to send or receive email or access the internet while I was on a cruise ship for several reasons. The most important is the cost which I think is way too high. Another reason is speed of the access is more like what you would get with a modem (i.e. telephone line speed) rather than high speed cable.

If I decide I need to check my email I go to the ships computers and do that there and bite the bullet on how much it costs.

Some classes of cabins include the internet costs as do some levels of repeat passengers who get free internet access and if I had that I would probably do more with my own computer which already has a laptop card.

Also some cruise lines will sell you and install a card they "guarantee" will work with their wireless access. The cost of the card is probably much higher than you would pay for a similar card at a local computer store.

Have a great next cruise with or without your laptop.

My husband brought his on one cruise a while back. It certainly is not worth the trouble. You still have to pay for the internet service - and you must disable your firewalls (virus protection) in order to have access to the WIFI on the ship.

Needless to say - somebody hacked into my husbands laptop, no damage done but a pain in the pa-too-tee to fix!!!

Just use the internet cafe - much simpler, and safer.

If you want to bring the laptop just for downloading pictures, that works just fine.

Most likely, you will be better off using the internet cafe to access the internet.

You do NOT want to use the room in the cabin for internet connection. Princess will charge you $5 per minute for the phone plus whatever charges you may get from your internet provider.

The question as to if you should take your notebook computer or not is a decision of personal choice. I for one would not think of going on a cruise without my notebook computer. Main reason is to keep in touch with friends and family. Note no mention of work! I do not use it just to surf the internet but have been known to write a "Live From" during the cruise as I did on or last cruise in September on the Caribbean Princess. I also use the computer to download photos from my camera but could live without doing that. I use photos in my emails back to our friends and family, which you will not be able to do if you use the Internet Cafe computers.

If you opt to use the Internet Cafe computers you will be using your minutes the entire time. If you use your own notebook then you will only be using minutes when actually connected to the ships WiFi. If you are not sure if you have WiFi I would ask someone that knows about computers if they can tell you. If it does not have WiFi built-in (most recent ones do) then you can buy a WiFi card to use. Just make sure that it will support 802.11B WiFi Protocol, which is what is used on the ships.

Chances are that it will not work in your cabin at the present time. But it might after the drydock in January as many upgrades will be installed at that time.

I am attaching the handout from the CB Internet Cafe. It has been the same handout on all three of our cruises on the CB this year. It gives information on signing-up for the service and the pricing. They also a have limited number of notebook computer that you can rent for $5 per hour as mentioned in the handout.

If you do use your own computer I would NEVER turn off the firewall or your anti-virus protection. To do so is asking for trouble!!! To have the pop-up window appear to sign-off you will have to disable your pop-up blocker though. I hope that this helps.

Have a great crusie with or without your computer.

CB WiFi.pdf

CB WiFi Trouble Connecting.pdf

Needless to say - somebody hacked into my husbands laptop, no damage done but a pain in the pa-too-tee to fix!!!

L:DL!!!

After reading WWCJR's attachment.

I see what you mean. :eek:...;)..:p

I am attaching the handout from the CB Internet Cafe.

Have a great crusie with or without your computer.

Attached Files CB WiFi.pdf

CB WiFi Trouble Connecting.pdf

Thanks WWCJR!!!

Great info! :)

I wouldn't be surprised that hackers don't target cruise ship passengers given the way the cruise require you to turn off your security and open up your laptop to them.

That is why I just use their computers and a web mail email access. Before I logoff I try to make sure nothing is saved.

Have a great and safe next cruise.

Used our laptop down in the cafe. Had everything composed and redy to send. Even built the Live From website while onboard and sent stuff to my server at home. Did not have to disable AV or Firewall. That would be scary if ya did have to. Most emails I did from the cafes computers as last year the laptops/wireless were a per min fee. Now I guess it shares your cafe mins which is a good thing.

I must say that I have NEVER had to disable my firewall or my anti-virus software and I would not under any conditions do that to use the ship's WiFi. Disabling the Pop-up blocker is not all that dangerous and you could even leave it turned on and just type in 1.1.1.1 (as noted in the handout) to log off if you are concerned about disabling the pop-up blocker.

Since you are connecting to a "public network" it is very important to be sure that you do have your firewall and anti-virus software up to date AND TURNED ON. As long as you do this then it should be safe using the ship's WiFi.

I know in the trouble shooting section they say to turn off your firewall but that would only apply to people that were not able to get their computer to work with the system. I again would NOT recommend turning off your firewall or your anti-virus software to connect to the ship's WiFi or the internet at anytime, not even to trouble shoot. If you cannot get your computer to work with their WiFi then just use the computers in the Internet Cafe.

I just got an Asus mini-laptop, 10" screen, to use for travel. Since we get free internet on Princess and DH doesn't use his minutes, I think I'll enjoy having it and being able to download pictures from the digital camera. We have a bunch of cruises lined up and I finally decided to take advantage of the lightweight, small, netbooks out there. Researched, or should I say OVERresearched (as usual!) and am happy with my choice.

15 cruises with my laptop, never turned off firewall or anitvirus. To connect I right click on the little wireless icon bottom right of screen. then left click on view available networks. Pick the ships wifi line ( it will hilite) then left click on the connect button on the bottom right on the page. That will bring up there network home page for you to log in the way they like as discribed in some of the previous post. i.e. name and room number and date of birth as password. Hope this helps. Just remember one thing NEVER EVER TURN OFF YOUR FIREWALL OR AV PROGRAM. If they want you to, it not worth what will happen!!!!

ASUS Eee PC 1000HA 10-Inch Netbook (1.6 GHz Intel ATOM N270 Processor, 1 GB RAM, 160 GB Hard Drive, XP Home, 6 Cell Battery) White

The keyboard on the 10" is easy to use, but on the 7" or 8.9" it's awkward. This little gem has a built-in web cam, a memory card slot and Skype already on the desktop. I've only had it for 2 days and can't find anything I don't like about it. I hooked up to my comcast modem to install a few things, but haven't tried a wireless connection yet.

We get free internet minutes from Princess and on our next trip will have 1000 between the two of us.

Archived