All Inclusive Tipping ??

i really don't buy that it changes the expectations or has lasting effects or impacts others' experiences in the least bit. if you have any sort of evidence of this i'd love to hear it!

There have been several threads regarding tipping in the past couple of months. A few passengers definitely had the feeling that a tip was expected and and felt uncomfortable. Try doing a search on "tipping" -- you'll find the evidence you are seeking.

There have been several threads regarding tipping in the past couple of months. A few passengers definitely had the feeling that a tip was expected and and felt uncomfortable. Try doing a search on "tipping" -- you'll find the evidence you are seeking.

a "few passengers" feeling that there's an expectation doesn't exactly suggest a sea change or prove that the very small percentage of passengers who tip at the end of a cruise is actually changing expectations or has lasting effects. sorry, that's just not very scientific. And doesn't jibe with my experience on Regent.

These boards do not tend towards scientific data. I assume you feel tipping is okay. Your are certainly entitled to your opinion. It is the opinion of "most" repeat Regent passengers that donations to the crew fund is the way to respect the policy set forth by Regent and reward their staff for exceptional service.

These boards do not tend towards scientific data. I assume you feel tipping is okay. Your are certainly entitled to your opinion. It is the opinion of "most" repeat Regent passengers that donations to the crew fund is the way to respect the policy set forth by Regent and reward their staff for exceptional service.

i just want to make sure we're not confusing your opinion with fact. i now understand that it is just your opinion that tipping has lasting effects.

We have just returned from a fantastic Asian cruise with the Seven Seas Mariner. There is no need to tip and it is not expected. We did however tip our room stewardess as she was leaving the ship the day we disembarked, to go home to Bali for a few months. She was a real jewel in relation to our comfort in the suite and was always available within a minute of being called on the phone. Apart from her, we did not tip at all.

I'm sorry, but I am finding it hard to understand what is so confusing about a no tipping policy........or is it that some people just have to "buck the system"?

Absolutely right, Anna.

There are many, many good things about travelling with Regent and high on the list is the belief that the warmth and welcome from all members of staff is not based on their expectation or hope that dollars will be pressed into their hands at some stage.

The steward or stewardess "going home to Bali" will not refuse a tip, but what about the behind the scenes staff members who work just as hard to make your cruise memorable. That is why it is preferable, if you must pay over and above your cruise fare, you should do it through the crew fund.

And these opinions are not based on scientific data!!!

Having been on 35+ mainstreem cruises, I am anxiously awaiting our first cruise on Regent on Dec. 1. Having lived thru Holland America's "No tipping policy" (ha ha), of course I was a bit skeptical on Regents. Comparing the per day price I don't think it will be too hard to NOT do any additional tipping...... BUT..... old habits do die hard. I've been trained by many a cruise line to tip... tip .... tip..... So please don't take offense if I am somewhat apprehensive about this policy. I really really want to NOT TIP, I just have to get my well trained tipping brain to accept it!!

As I have said before. I just don't see why people try and do come up

with the excuses they do on why they tip when Regent has a no tipping policy.

What part of "NO TIPPING" is so difficult to understand?

Just about everyone receives wonderful treatment. Everyones cabin attendants

do a wonderful job. That is their jobs. That is what they are being paid, (well), for doing.

Look at the price of your cruise per person!! You are tipping!! ALOT!!

sounds like the prevailing thought is that those who tip or ask questions on tipping are idiots or braggers. not sure I would ever suggest that someone is an idiot during a discussion to support my assertions, but that's what seems to happen on a lot of these threads. that's a shame.

Researchers have argued that consumers leave tips to comply with social norms and expectations (Crespi 1947; Holloway 1985; Lynn and Grassman 1990), to reduce servers’ envy of the customers’ superior circumstances (Foster 1972; Lynn 1994), and to display wealth, status and power (Lynn 1997; May 1978; Paules 1991; Scott 1916; Shamir 1984). In other words, these researchers have argued that tipping is an attempt to buy the approval, goodwill and esteem of servers and fellow consumers.

A Meta-Analytic Review of the Predictors of Restaurant Tipping

Michael Lynn and Michael McCall

The Center for Hospitality Research

Cornell University School of Hotel Administration

A sample of one paper on tipping. For lots more scientific evidence on tipping, effectiveness of tipping, psychology of tipping etc. go to Cornell's "Center for Hospitality Research" and do a search on tipping. Also just google "tipping psychology" and get lots more info.

There is a lots of "science" on this topic and lots of opinion.

mike (who likes science too :D)

Good points, mikeIam. Now, if some people could look up etiquette and laws of the foreign countries they visit. For instance, it is against the law to tip in China. What are the odds that someone from the U.S. tipped during the Olympics? (I know I have brought this up before -- just feel it bears repeating).

Many years ago we were in Fiji (another non-tipping country) and learned that the Fijians would rather serve people from the U.S. than those from Australia because they tip. The dislike of Australian's (note: this was in the 80's) was common. Such a shame.:mad:

I am not on this thread to argue. . . just to ask those reading these posts to be aware and respectful of policies, rules and laws of other countries that are different than yours. Don't we expect the same from visitors to our country?

Sorry to capture such a negative reaction. Honestly, I like the "no tipping" strategy of Regent. We never tipped any of the great people and services on board, but at the end of the trip we asked three different couples we met on board and all three were planning to give a "token" tip to their room steward. We were not stating our opinion or our intention, but innocently and simply asked what others were planning to do.

My guess is that some on this board study these issues extensively and by hearing feedback or writing feedback there is an assumption that no one leaves tips. From our small sampling of three random couples when we discovered all three were leaving small tips I would conclude there are far more people who give tips that some of you think.

Very few Regent customers read these boards and so the feedback going back forth on this issues and other issues simply is not known by most Regent customers.

This is not a reason for everyone to start tipping and I am not promoting that concept. I just wanted to point out that many Regent cruisers do leave small tips when they depart the ship. But as mad as that fact may make some of you, I would also point out that these same Regent customers do not tip room service, bar drinks, restaurants, etc. The only case of tipping I am aware of is some token tipping at the end of the cruise.

You can argue that back and forth and that is fine, but helping those less fortunate is not always a bad act.

My initial question was not answered by anyone

Does anyone know how much more the Regent room stewards are compensated than other cruise lines (Crystal, etc) where they expect to receive tips in addition to their normal compensation from the cruise line?

Steve

In attempt to answer the original question,I just did a bit of research on cruise ship jobs.

Although I did not find specifics on Regent, there are several job placement companies that list openings. At www.cruiseshipjob.com I found some openings in the housekeeping area. This salary range is dependent upon the amount of tips the employee receives per month (in U.S. dollars).

Chief Housekeeper $3,000-3800/month

Assistant Chief Housekeeper $2,500-3,400

Floor Supervisor $2,400-3,200

Head Room Steward/Stewardess $2,200-2,800

Cabin Steward/Stewardess $1,800-2,200

Asst. Cabin Steward/Stewardess $1,200-1,500

Based on claims that Regent has made in the past, their housekeeping employees should receive the maximum in the range (or close to it). Note: salaries include health insurance, room and board.

Side note. . . . although only a small percentage of Regent passsengers read CC, it does not change the policy. When people come on CC to ask a question about tipping, it behooves us to explain the policy as it is set forth by Regent. Do some people go against it? Of course. Does this make it the right thing to do? Don't think so.

P.S. If you think this is a negative reaction. . . try asking about children on board or smoking;)

>>>> Note: salaries include health insurance, room and board.<<<<

....as well as on-duty clothing and laundry service. A friend was the head purser on one of the Princess ships. She said other than "walkin' aound money", she banked her whole paycheck.

Wow, that site actually CHARGES an applicant (US $49) to apply for a job! That doesn't seem right. :( :( :(

You noticed some of the ugly part. Today I also read that some companies charge the applicant to fly to where they will embark to work. Then, they are like slave labor and have to work to pay back the "loan". I have a Human Resources background and found some of what I read today worse than anything I have ever heard. While I do not know the details of employment with Regent, I have heard that people seek jobs with Regent due to pay, etc. After today, I really believe that. One site had only one position available on Regent -- it was a higher end position.

On a positive note, if you watched the Regent television programs when you were on the Voyager last month, you saw the families of Regent employees in the Philippines on board ship, having lunch and seeing where their family member works. They apparently do this on a regular basis.

With Thanksgiving just around the corner, those of us who are able to cruise Regent and the employees who have reached the level of excellence that enables them to work on board their luxury ships should take a moment to be thankful for what we have.

JMO

Archived