Cruising Pregnant

AlohaPride

As long as you're in good health and have the "go ahead" from your doctor, nothing will really be different from cruising in a non-pregnant state--except for the drinking!

You'll do as much (or as little) as your pregnancy allows!

As long as you're in good health and have the "go ahead" from your doctor, nothing will really be different from cruising in a non-pregnant state--except for the drinking!

You'll do as much (or as little) as your pregnancy allows!

That's what I thought! Thanks a bunch!!

If you're going to be really showing, you might want to bring along a letter from your doctor saying what week you're in. Some lines have a 24 week limit, but if you're showing a lot, early in your pregnancy, they may ask for proof.

I was 21 weeks pregnant on our last cruise. I did get a note from my OB stating how many weeks along I was and due date and that I was in good health to cruise. Royal Caribbean does have a policy that you can not cruise after 24 weeks and they ask that you have a note, I don't know the policy on other lines. I never had to show the note to anyone, but I had it. ;)

I definitely recommend taking along antacid and any other "approved" meds that you think you may need (such as Tylenol, gasX, etc...). You never know what they will have onboard, so it's best to carry it with you and know that it's approved for pregnancy.

Talk to your OB about the types of excursions you can particpate in too. (I didn't do any jungle excursions on ours for fear of possible bug bites, etc...)

You'll probably also want to ask your cabin attendant for extra pillows right away. You'll probably be building a pillow fort to sleep by then! LOL!

Most of all, enjoy your BABYMOON! :D

P.S. Get some summer maternity clothes now while they are on clearance!

I was 21 weeks pregnant on our last cruise. I did get a note from my OB stating how many weeks along I was and due date and that I was in good health to cruise. Royal Caribbean does have a policy that you can not cruise after 24 weeks and they ask that you have a note, I don't know the policy on other lines. I never had to show the note to anyone, but I had it. ;)

I definitely recommend taking along antacid and any other "approved" meds that you think you may need (such as Tylenol, gasX, etc...). You never know what they will have onboard, so it's best to carry it with you and know that it's approved for pregnancy.

Talk to your OB about the types of excursions you can particpate in too. (I didn't do any jungle excursions on ours for fear of possible bug bites, etc...)

You'll probably also want to ask your cabin attendant for extra pillows right away. You'll probably be building a pillow fort to sleep by then! LOL!

Most of all, enjoy your BABYMOON! :D

P.S. Get some summer maternity clothes now while they are on clearance!

Thank you so much for the help! You'd think I would know all the second time around, but I've never CRUISED pregnant. lol

Good idea about the summer clothing!

I would definitely get the insurance just in case you can't cruise for some reason. Otherwise it really isn't that big of a deal. My wife and I went on a cruise when she was 16 weeks pregnant. No problems at all.

I would definitely get the insurance just in case you can't cruise for some reason. Otherwise it really isn't that big of a deal. My wife and I went on a cruise when she was 16 weeks pregnant. No problems at all.

I actually looked into this, and the insurance company (insuremytrip.com and travelex) don't cover pregnancy or delivery. We were originally booked for May 2009 (but I am due early June 09) and they wouldn't let me cancel. So I had to change my booking, pay the fees (not covered), and move my insurance over to this trip.

I actually looked into this, and the insurance company (insuremytrip.com and travelex) don't cover pregnancy or delivery. We were originally booked for May 2009 (but I am due early June 09) and they wouldn't let me cancel. So I had to change my booking, pay the fees (not covered), and move my insurance over to this trip.

Although travel insurance won't cover you for normal pregnancy and delivery, there are areas where pregnancy is a covered item.

I can see why they'd refuse to offer policies that allow women to cancel if they get pregnant after they book a trip and where they will then be too far along to be allowed to travel (cruise, air, etc. restrictions) even though they have a normal, healthy pregnancy--Every woman who was trying to get pregnant could buy the insurance for that reason alone and then make a claim if she got pregnant (a planned event, if you will) and would be farther along than allowed (e.g., 24 weeks for most cruise lines). This is not a health problem or an unexpected event and it is not reasonable to expect travel insurers to pay claims for it. If they did, the cost of insurance might go up quite a lot so that everyone else is paying for the risk pool for all women who get pregnant and have to change their plans. Even a woman who has an unplanned pregnancy shouldn't expect to have this type of coverage because getting pregnant is a known "risk" (can't think of a better word right now) caused by specific (often enjoyable) activities. (I am a mom, so yes, I do know how things work and how plans have to change.)

However, travel insurers do usually cover emergency situations related to pregnancy. A healthy woman who is cruising 18 weeks pregnant (for example) with her OB's approval could (God forbid) experience problems that endanger her health/life and/or the baby's health/life. Cruise ship medical centers are not set up to take care of those types of emergencies or to deliver or care for preemies. Travel insurance could come in handy for air evac, doctor's bills, hospital costs, etc. As well, travel insurance would cover cancellation if (and again, God forbid) a healthy woman who is 20 weeks pregnant (for example) experiences pre-term labor, severe pre-eclamsia, gestational diabetes that won't come under control, or any number of other problems where her OB orders her to be hospitalized or on bed rest for the duration of her pregnancy or during the time of the scheduled trip.

It's worth considering for reasons beyond the fact that insurers don't cover normal pregnancy or delivery, or if a normal pregnancy requires cancellation of a trip solely because of the baby's due date.

beachchick

Although travel insurance won't cover you for normal pregnancy and delivery, there are areas where pregnancy is a covered item.

I can see why they'd refuse to offer policies that allow women to cancel if they get pregnant after they book a trip and where they will then be too far along to be allowed to travel (cruise, air, etc. restrictions) even though they have a normal, healthy pregnancy--Every woman who was trying to get pregnant could buy the insurance for that reason alone and then make a claim if she got pregnant (a planned event, if you will) and would be farther along than allowed (e.g., 24 weeks for most cruise lines). This is not a health problem or an unexpected event and it is not reasonable to expect travel insurers to pay claims for it. If they did, the cost of insurance might go up quite a lot so that everyone else is paying for the risk pool for all women who get pregnant and have to change their plans. Even a woman who has an unplanned pregnancy shouldn't expect to have this type of coverage because getting pregnant is a known "risk" (can't think of a better word right now) caused by specific (often enjoyable) activities. (I am a mom, so yes, I do know how things work and how plans have to change.)

However, travel insurers do usually cover emergency situations related to pregnancy. A healthy woman who is cruising 18 weeks pregnant (for example) with her OB's approval could (God forbid) experience problems that endanger her health/life and/or the baby's health/life. Cruise ship medical centers are not set up to take care of those types of emergencies or to deliver or care for preemies. Travel insurance could come in handy for air evac, doctor's bills, hospital costs, etc. As well, travel insurance would cover cancellation if (and again, God forbid) a healthy woman who is 20 weeks pregnant (for example) experiences pre-term labor, severe pre-eclamsia, gestational diabetes that won't come under control, or any number of other problems where her OB orders her to be hospitalized or on bed rest for the duration of her pregnancy or during the time of the scheduled trip.

It's worth considering for reasons beyond the fact that insurers don't cover normal pregnancy or delivery, or if a normal pregnancy requires cancellation of a trip solely because of the baby's due date.

beachchick

Good points. Thanks!

• 1 month later...

I cruised during my 20th week and by far the best part of the cruise was the food. You're preggers and hungry and there is someone there ALL THE TIME to cook for you.Really, cruising when pregnant is the best cure for cravings.

Otherwise, there really isn't much to be concerned about. Just make sure you have the doctor note stating what week you are in. Just in case.

Enjoy

I cruised with my first child at 16 weeks and just this past summer with my second at 22 weeks. Both times were great. First get a rx from your OB for Zofran for nausea the seasickness pills they give out onboard arent safe. Make sure you use plenty of sunscreen and drink lots of water, hormones make you burn and dehydrate easier. Rest as much as possible, take easy excursions. Food wise just eat as you normally would, avoid sushi, alcohol, soft cheeses. I didnt find too many things I couldnt eat. Otherwise it is the perfect time to travel, you are over the morning sickness but not huge and uncomfortable yet.

Enjoy your cruise, soon you will be joining us on cruising with kids.

Julie

I cruised with my first child at 16 weeks and just this past summer with my second at 22 weeks. Both times were great. First get a rx from your OB for Zofran for nausea the seasickness pills they give out onboard arent safe. Make sure you use plenty of sunscreen and drink lots of water, hormones make you burn and dehydrate easier. Rest as much as possible, take easy excursions. Food wise just eat as you normally would, avoid sushi, alcohol, soft cheeses. I didnt find too many things I couldnt eat. Otherwise it is the perfect time to travel, you are over the morning sickness but not huge and uncomfortable yet.

Enjoy your cruise, soon you will be joining us on cruising with kids.

Julie

I haven't posted there yet, but I've been lurking. This is my second child. They will be only 20 months apart :eek:

I'm definately going to get a doctor's note, and living in Hawaii I'm very familiar with the fish to avoid and such. My OB is excellent. She's going to give me a BUNCH of tips at my next appointment for traveling. She's actually the one who told DH and I to move our trip up rather than wait for the new one.

I was able to find some really pretty formal dresses on ebay, and I think I'm set.

Does anyone know if I have to have my original pill bottles for my expecta, pre-natal vitamin, vitamin C, zyrtec, and such or can I put them in the medicine boxes (you know, the ones labled by day)?

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that the morning sickness suddenly stops in the next month. I've still got massive nausea and vomiting. Plus, since the second trimester started I've been having daily migraines. :mad:

Is Bonine a safe medication to take while pregnant?

You are perfectly fine putting things like vitamins, allergy medicines, etc in the pill dividers. Usually the only medicines that you need to make sure to keep in original containers are things like pain meds.

Archived