Xmas day in old san juan

skirtsteak

Hotel restaurants will be open and many have a special buffet or Xmas menu.

Maybe you could bump this thread up closer to Xmas and those of us who live here can post any special events that show up in the paper. I know how frustrating it is to visit a place that's all boarded up.

Hi Skirtsteak!

I asked a similar question a few days ago and recieved this helpful reply from coquishideaway:

Even though you have been to OSJ a few times before, it is still a lovely place just to walk around. At least just to get off the ship a bit and get some exercise.

We recently just spent some time looking at all the art work and sculptures around the place.

You might want to check with the Segway people. I assume they will want the day off, but they might be doing a couple tours.

You can head to the beaches- they will be open. Escambron is close,or the beaches by the hotels (a nice one is by the El San Juan Hotel).

There is also a ferry that goes from OSJ to Hato Rey. From there, you can walk along a board walk and enjoy the weather.

As night falls, OSJ will be all decked out in lights- very pretty to just stroll around and get in the spirit.

Yes, most things will probably be closed on Christmas.

But if you have never been to OSJ before, you can make a wonderful day just walking around touring on your own. It is a beautiful old city. Great art, architecture, views etc. You can even enjoy the simple things- like flying a kite on the lawn of El Morro!

Here is our walking tour info. You won't be able to go inside the buildings, but you can see some sites from the outside:

http://www.puertoricodaytrips.com/old-san-juan-basic-info/

http://www.puertoricodaytrips.com/old-san-juan-walking-tour-1/

http://www.puertoricodaytrips.com/osj-outdoor-art/

Later in the day, I am bet some restaurants/bars/stores will open. Not a lot, but something.

Hotel restaurants will be open and many have a special buffet or Xmas menu.

Maybe you could bump this thread up closer to Xmas and those of us who live here can post any special events that show up in the paper. I know how frustrating it is to visit a place that's all boarded up.

If posting and you live there please post ideas for New Years Eve and New Years day too. Thanks

If posting and you live there please post ideas for New Years Eve and New Years day too. Thanks

Nothing definitely scheduled for New Year's Eve yet as far as I have heard. We usually only hear about stuff a month ahead or so. The hotels/clubs usually have parties. Last year there was a "thing" at the convention center with music/food/fireworks.

When we hear about something, we will pass it on.

For New Year's Day...... again a holiday, so many things will be closed. The rain forest will be open as will the beaches.

But in OSJ, the forts will be closed, as will all the museums. Some shops, bars and restaurants will open later But you can always walk around and explore. You can check with the Segway people, they might be doing tours. OSJ will be all decked out for Christmas, so after dark, it is very pretty.

hELLO,

We will be on the Explorer docked at OSJ on Christmas Day and I was wondering the same thing. Is there a Church or Cathedral nearby where we can celebrate a traditional Christmas Mass?

If we don't do that what would be a good beach to go to for the afternoon? Anything nearby?

Mass for Christmas day....Sure- OSJ is full of churches. The masses will be in Spanish though.... (But you know how it goes- the words are different, but the meaning is there).

The Cathedral (San Juan) I don't know the exact times (somewhere around 9am and 11am, but I don't find the schedule yet for the season).

But there are a number of other lovely old churches. All will have Christmas service.

I will try to find the hours for you next time I am in town.

Beaches- Escambron beach is close, but you may want to head to Isla Verde. Get a taxi to the El San Juan hotel. Tourist area, so you will find food, drink, chairs , etc.

For English mass, you need to get a cab.

If you are heading to the Isla Verde area, there is Union Church (inter-denominational) that holds English services. Between Ocean Park and Isla Verde. They are a very welcoming community: http://www.unionchurchofsanjuan.org/

This club gives church info for English speakers:

http://www.newcomerspr.com/Churches.shtml

El San Juan Hotel used to have security at the entrance to the pool area which barred people who were not staying in the hotel to pass through their pool area in order to reach the beach.

They used to give hotel guests wrist bands to identify they 'belonged'. The beach is public but the hotel grounds are private so they can ban you from walking through.

I don't know if they still do this but seeing as it is at least 20 + minute cab ride (depending upon traffic), I would check before heading out there.

We enjoyed a number of great stays at that hotel and that is how they always handled cruisers who wanted to use their beach.

I bet you are right about them not wanting just everybody walking through their pool area. We were able to do it at the Intercontinental next door, but we also used their beach front restaurant, so they might have been nice to us!.

But all beaches in PR are public. The hotels have to offer a way for the public to get to the beach. Maybe around the outside.

When you get there, just ask at the front desk, they will tell you how.

There is a road just west of the Intercontinental- maybe have the taxi driver drop you off there, or better yet, ask the taxi driver how to get to that beach.

Does anyone know for sure? If not, I will take a ride down that way in the next few weeks to find out for sure.

Archived