Southern Caribbean-Sept or Oct?

We are currently looking at cruising early September or early October next year of the Adventure out of San Juan as this the only time my husband's aunt would be able to accompany us. This would be a 1st for us to cruise during hurricane season and in the past years these hurricanes have been quite the news item to say the least.

I am looking for advice on cruising during this season and were wondering on people's past experience if the probabilities of avoiding a hurricane are better Oct vs Sept or vice versa.

Any recommendations? We are planning to arrive a day early in San Juan

Are we safer if take our airline tickets with RCL? Generally, we prefer to book our own tickets but if it is better to do it with the cruise company for this period then we will.

Thanks in advance for your help :D

We are currently looking at cruising early September or early October next year of the Adventure out of San Juan as this the only time my husband's aunt would be able to accompany us. This would be a 1st for us to cruise during hurricane season and in the past years these hurricanes have been quite the news item to say the least.

I am looking for advice on cruising during this season and were wondering on people's past experience if the probabilities of avoiding a hurricane are better Oct vs Sept or vice versa.

Any recommendations? We are planning to arrive a day early in San Juan

Are we safer if take our airline tickets with RCL? Generally, we prefer to book our own tickets but if it is better to do it with the cruise company for this period then we will.

Thanks in advance for your help :D

It depends. Where are you intending to fly from? If you are going to fly out of Buffalo or an American airport and use an US carrier they are much easier to work with. We always fly from the US. You can change (and get cheaper air) from American carriers. If there is a problem with weather I find they work with you easier to make changes.

Normally, the later you can go the better. We've sailed every year for the last several, in September, October and November and been lucky enough to not have our air affected but the ships haven't always been able to go where they are suppose to.

If you sail in the Caribbean during hurricane season, you are taking a chance. From about the middle of August to the middle of October is the highest occurrence of hurricanes. Some years their are less and some years there are more. This is a more year. The southern Caribbean has the least incidence of hurricanes but they do occur. If you are concerned, buy trip insurance from a reputable company.

We've cruised 6 out of 7 times during Oct (mid-to-late). We've had two hurricane issues:

1) Mariner 2005 - we ALMOST got another day at sea thanks to Wilma but she moved over Florida fast and we were fine

2) Mariner 2008 - Eastern became Western thanks to Hurricane Omar.

Neither one was a big deal and dimished any of our cruise enjoyment! We are currently booked on the Southern for next Oct (11) and would love to have you join us!

Being a Florida resident (so I pay attention to all of them) I would say both periods are during the prime hurricane season. Early Oct has a slightly lesser chance. Depending on the total cost that you will be paying (cruise + airfare), you may want to look into insurance.

Being a Florida resident (so I pay attention to all of them) I would say both periods are during the prime hurricane season. Early Oct has a slightly lesser chance. Depending on the total cost that you will be paying (cruise + airfare), you may want to look into insurance.

Thanks Gatour :D We definitely will be buying insurance and making sure it covers hurricanes.

Archived