Deet Mosquito Repellant Advice

Peggy5

Hi, I've heard of mosquitos being an issue, Dengue or something(sorry sp). But people on RC boards were talking about St Marten & St thomas having this issue & getting high deet repellants. So I went to walmart & tried to look for one in mosquito repellant section but it didn't say anything about deet there's no info on ingredients, etc. Which do I need to get particular brand thats high in deet?

But more importantly is it safe for kids(specifically a 2 yr old) cuz' on one of the repellants, it gave a stern warning to keep away from kids????? :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: what does that mean?

I think the warning is to keep kids from having access to it, to eat or something! Most repellants are ok for kids---and I know they have some specifically for children.

Ask the pharmacist, if you can't find it. Or, check a camping/sport store in your area.

From what I have read, there are some suggestions that DEET may increase the possibility of testicular cancer and also cause endocrine problems.

Here is some info specifically related to DEET and children:

DEET and Children

Three-fourths of all DEET poisonings occur

with children under six years of age. Small children

are more vulnerable because they are more likely to

accidentally ingest DEET and have lower body

weights. To prevent accidental poisoning of small

children, store containers of DEET out of the reach

of children.

Also, use common sense in the application of

DEET to small children. Do not apply to the hands

of children because they may rub their eyes or ingest

DEET from their hands or fingers. Do not allow

small children to apply the product. An adult should

apply the product or closely supervise the

application. Use DEET sparingly on small

children.

Hope this helps!

This is one of those things that I think a quick phone call to your peds office would help.

I know that Deet is the best for a situations like this. I had to look into something for my kids and I was torn between the family versions with 4% Deet (something like Family Deep Woods Off) and the regular versions that were 24% Deet or higher.

I still haven't made a decision yet (won't have to until January). So I will call the peds office and ask them.

I have seen them everywhere from places like Rite Aid to WalMart and Target.

But for a 2 year old, it's just best to double check. ;)

Since my husband and I are planning to start our family soon, I read this thread seriously. (Since I'm just a "dumb" surgeon, I also consulted my Pediatrician friend for the following advice...)

1. Read this website. It contains great information regarding travelling with children... The CDC is a wonderful resource for parents and physicians alike and its recomendations generally mirror the American Academy of Pediatrics.

http://wwwn.cdc.gov/travel/yellowBookCh8-SafeInfantsChildren.aspx

2. From the AAP website specifically referencing DEET...

Follow safety precautions when using DEET on children

from the AAP Committee on Environmental Health

Insect repellents containing DEET (N,N-diethyl-m-toluamide, also known as N,N-diethyl-3-methylbenzamide) with a concentration of 10% appear to be as safe as products with a concentration of 30% when used according to the directions on the product labels. DEET is not recommended for use on children under 2 months of age.

DEET-containing products are the most effective mosquito repellents available. DEET also is effective as a repellent against a variety of other insects, including ticks. It should be used when there is a need to prevent insect-borne disease. The concentration of DEET in products may range from less than 10% to over 30%. The efficacy of DEET plateaus at a concentration of 30%, the maximum concentration currently recommended for infants and children. The major difference in the efficacy of products relates to their duration of action. Products with concentrations around 10% are effective for periods of approximately two hours. As the concentration of DEET increases, the duration of activity increases; for example, a concentration of about 24% has been shown to provide an average of 5 hours of protection.

The safety of DEET does not appear to relate to differences in these concentrations. A prudent approach would be to select the lowest concentration effective for the amount of time spent outdoors. It is generally agreed that DEET should not be applied more than once a day.

There are no specific data on the skin absorption of DEET as a function of age. However, data on skin absorption of similar substances suggest that absorption through the skin would not differ after an infant has reached a month or two of age.

DEET should not be used in a product that combines the repellent with a sunscreen. Sunscreens often are applied repeatedly because they can be washed off. DEET is not water-soluble and will last up to 8 hours. Repeated application may increase the potential toxic effects of DEET.

Other precautions

Apply DEET sparingly on exposed skin; do not use under clothing.

Do not use DEET on the hands of young children; avoid applying to areas around the eyes and mouth.

Do not use DEET over cuts, wounds or irritated skin. Wash treated skin with soap and water after returning indoors; wash treated clothing.

Avoid spraying in enclosed areas; do not use DEET near food.

Hope this helps...

I have always used repellents with little or no DEET for the reasons posted, but with our cruise stopping in St. Maarten and hearing about the Dengue outbreak, I felt it was necessary to get some.

My kids are 14 and 17 though, so their bodies are most likely able to handle the higher concentrations of DEET. I did find it in the camping section, and I saw formulations with as little as 10% and as much as 100%.

I went with a version that is 20% but does incorporate a sunscreen. I thank the poster who included the warning about sunscreen and will now be sure that when sunscreen is re-applied we just use the 'regular' stuff.

There is a product called Cactus Juice that can be ordered online which also works well and is natural (I believe...). I've never read the labels carefully, but I have used it several times over the years with good results. (My grandfather always wears it while fishing.) You might check that out as well...as it's a sunscreen and bug-repellant in one that I'm pretty certain does NOT contain DEET or other harsh chemicals.

Since my husband and I are planning to start our family soon, I read this thread seriously. (Since I'm just a "dumb" surgeon, I also consulted my Pediatrician friend for the following advice...)

1. Read this website. It contains great information regarding travelling with children... The CDC is a wonderful resource for parents and physicians alike and its recomendations generally mirror the American Academy of Pediatrics.

http://wwwn.cdc.gov/travel/yellowBookCh8-SafeInfantsChildren.aspx

2. From the AAP website specifically referencing DEET...

Follow safety precautions when using DEET on children

from the AAP Committee on Environmental Health

Insect repellents containing DEET (N,N-diethyl-m-toluamide, also known as N,N-diethyl-3-methylbenzamide) with a concentration of 10% appear to be as safe as products with a concentration of 30% when used according to the directions on the product labels. DEET is not recommended for use on children under 2 months of age.

DEET-containing products are the most effective mosquito repellents available. DEET also is effective as a repellent against a variety of other insects, including ticks. It should be used when there is a need to prevent insect-borne disease. The concentration of DEET in products may range from less than 10% to over 30%. The efficacy of DEET plateaus at a concentration of 30%, the maximum concentration currently recommended for infants and children. The major difference in the efficacy of products relates to their duration of action. Products with concentrations around 10% are effective for periods of approximately two hours. As the concentration of DEET increases, the duration of activity increases; for example, a concentration of about 24% has been shown to provide an average of 5 hours of protection.

The safety of DEET does not appear to relate to differences in these concentrations. A prudent approach would be to select the lowest concentration effective for the amount of time spent outdoors. It is generally agreed that DEET should not be applied more than once a day.

There are no specific data on the skin absorption of DEET as a function of age. However, data on skin absorption of similar substances suggest that absorption through the skin would not differ after an infant has reached a month or two of age.

DEET should not be used in a product that combines the repellent with a sunscreen. Sunscreens often are applied repeatedly because they can be washed off. DEET is not water-soluble and will last up to 8 hours. Repeated application may increase the potential toxic effects of DEET.

Other precautions

Apply DEET sparingly on exposed skin; do not use under clothing.

Do not use DEET on the hands of young children; avoid applying to areas around the eyes and mouth.

Do not use DEET over cuts, wounds or irritated skin. Wash treated skin with soap and water after returning indoors; wash treated clothing.

Avoid spraying in enclosed areas; do not use DEET near food.

Hope this helps...

Lucy- what a well researched answer!!!!

- the only things I can add are- 1) DEET is the only thing with controlled trials to prove it repels mosquitos- for those people whose handwriting is still legible that doesn't mean Grandpa's secret recipe doesn't work, it just means we don't know for sure.

2) another non tested "trick" that I do- is put the spray on the clothes, and let them dry before you put them on DS/DD yourself or even your dear spouse.

Have a great trip!!!!

I agree completely.

While I like the "natural stuff," it certainly has not been thoroughly evaluated and I would not trust it alone! I think it's best use is as a sunscreen with some possible "extra" bug protection...not as a DEET-containing material substitute.

My husband and I apply the high concentration DEET to our clothing as you suggest (allowing it to dry), and a small amount to our skin. We then just "add" the Cactus Juice throughout the day. I can't say whether or not this is good or if they interfere with one another....it's just what we do to avoid applying more DEET to our bodies!

They are our provincial bird:D ..Just kidding.. I use Off or off skintastic you can graduate to deep woods stuff but why?Off has a dry type that will not leave you sticky and ..heres the key to Deet..you have to wash it off at night!!!!The longer you leave it on the more likely it is to penetrate into your blood stream.Take the time to wash it off and stop worrying, I have used deet since I was little( alot of years ago) and I don't look like a mutant, I don't have cancer and I have three great kids that are not mutants either.Deet is safe used in moderation and washed off at the end of your day.reapply after swimming and just relax and have a good time

We have been using a DEET free product called Natrapel and bought it at REI. The main active ingredient is Citronella. It does need to be applied every couple hours. Started using when DS was about 1 and used it in Canada this summer. In Waterton Lakes those critters were birds, not insects. :eek:

One problem with DEET is that it is not friendly with some plastic materials. Once had some spill in a backpack and it ate a hole through the pack. As mentioned above do not get it under your clothes and wash it off before going to bed.

We have been using a DEET free product called Natrapel and bought it at REI. The main active ingredient is Citronella. It does need to be applied every couple hours. Started using when DS was about 1 and used it in Canada this summer. In Waterton Lakes those critters were birds, not insects. :eek:

One problem with DEET is that it is not friendly with some plastic materials. Once had some spill in a backpack and it ate a hole through the pack. As mentioned above do not get it under your clothes and wash it off before going to bed.

Yes absolutely Deet will eat thru plastic..We use citronella candles out on the deck in the evenings but the oil can cause skin rashes so we don't useit. You can also use skin so soft from A..n there is a vo in the middle of those:D

Archived