Anyone Speculating? Mariner Society.....

sail7seas

We've heard there are going to be changes to the Mariner's Society Program early in the new year. Anyone heard anything definite about it?

Anyone want to speculate what the changes will be?

I think it could be fun to post what we think the changes will be and then bring this thread forward after the official announcement is made and we find out how close we came with our speculation. :D

I'll start by saying I think the number of days needed to reach various levels will again change as it did the last time. Maybe it will be 150 days to get Copper Medallion, 350 0r 400 days for Silver Medallion etc

I know what some folks WANT the changes to be but what do you think the changes WILL be?

Free internet, lol!!! Just kidding. ;)

I hate to think they will add more days to the levels - 100 to 300 is hard enough!

Personally, I think some SBC based upon past days would be an awesome perk.

I hate to even guess what they might come up with... :cool:

Sail,

I wonder if HAL will follow the lead of Carnival which recently announced their new Mileston Program? I mention this because they're both under the umbrella of the parent Carnival Corporation.

Before I explain the Milestone Program, here's what you get with Carnival's Concierge Club when you've reached the 10 cruise Platinum level:

• Personalized stationery

• A special Carnival logo item

• Guaranteed dining times and supper club reservations

• Complimentary $20 entry fee into blackjack or slots tournament

• Spa Carnival priority reservations

• Petit fours and/or canapés delivered to cabin one evening

• Complimentary wash and fold laundry service

• Priority tender boarding

• Priority embarkation and debarkation

• Complimentary arcade tokens valued at $5 dollars for guests under

18 years of age

Some of the Platinum perks sound a lot like HAL's deluxe suite amenities.

According to the Carnival website, guests can sail and celebrate their Carnival “milestones” with an exciting new guest recognition program. Past guests who sail on a “milestone” 25th, 50th and 75th “Fun Ship” cruise will receive shipboard credit representing 25 percent, 50 percent, or 75 percent of their cruise fair, respectively, for that particular voyage. And, for their 100th voyage, earn a complimentary Caribbean, Mexican Riviera or Alaskan cruise up to eight days in length. These “milestone” cruise benefits are in addition to the other amenities and privileges of being a “Platinum” cardholder.

Roz

I think we obviously need to look at this from the HAL prospective to come up with some possible changes. First of all, I presume they have thousands of Mariners on their books that have many sailing days on record. So, from that perspective we might assume that they believe they have a pretty good record for repeat customers. In other words they believe they have us “hooked”, which they do in a lot of cases, and don’t really need to offer too many more perks to keep us. I am sure the Medallions are nice. I wouldn’t know because we don’t have one yet but someday we will. What I would really like is some more incentives to earn more days with rewards such as: with 50 days you get one free meal at the Pinnacle Grill, or with 100 days we get $100 credit on an excursion, or with 200 days, maybe a 7 day cruise credit, or with 300 days a 30 day cruise credit. We have to keep in mind however, that they are competing with the other lines so they can’t give us too much.

Given the economic times, I suspect even if more had been considered, practical restraints will dictate less.

I don't honestly think any change necessary.

HAL has the highest percentage of repeat cruisers. They don't need to offer us 'gimmes' to get us back again and again.

I expect very little "REAL' change. Perhaps a small OBC predicated upon number of days or small discount on future cruises.

Sail,

I wonder if HAL will follow the lead of Carnival which recently announced their new Mileston Program? I mention this because they're both under the umbrella of the parent Carnival Corporation.

Before I explain the Milestone Program, here's what you get with Carnival's Concierge Club when you've reached the 10 cruise Platinum level:

• Personalized stationery We get that

• A special Carnival logo item

• Guaranteed dining times and supper club reservations Dining time is supposed to be guarnteed -- can't guarantee alternative restaurant reservastions

• Complimentary $20 entry fee into blackjack or slots tournament

• Spa Carnival priority reservations

• Petit fours and/or canapés delivered to cabin one evening Can get this every evening

• Complimentary wash and fold laundry service We get that

• Priority tender boarding We get that

• Priority embarkation and debarkation We get that

• Complimentary arcade tokens valued at $5 dollars for guests under

18 years of age

Some of the Platinum perks sound a lot like HAL's deluxe suite amenities.

According to the Carnival website, guests can sail and celebrate their Carnival “milestones” with an exciting new guest recognition program. Past guests who sail on a “milestone” 25th, 50th and 75th “Fun Ship” cruise will receive shipboard credit representing 25 percent, 50 percent, or 75 percent of their cruise fair, respectively, for that particular voyage. And, for their 100th voyage, earn a complimentary Caribbean, Mexican Riviera or Alaskan cruise up to eight days in length. These “milestone” cruise benefits are in addition to the other amenities and privileges of being a “Platinum” cardholder.

Roz

We always book Delux suites.

It was speculated (I stress, speculated) awhile ago that the Mariner Program might emulate Princess' Captain's Circle in offering free internet access after achieving a certain level. I have no idea whether or not that may be implemented, or if it's even still a possibility.

How long have we been hearing about changes coming to the Mariner Program? With everything that HAL has implemented in the past couple of years do they even care about the Mariners? Whatever happens I'll believe it when and if I see it.

3 Fan

You are so right!!

We have been hearing for the last couple of years how HAL is going to start rewarding their Mariners with more perks. But it hasn't happened.

Sadly -- I do believe that HAL is going to require Mariner's have more sailing days for each level. That's not a perk for us -- just a discouragement.

I'm pretty sure I know what the changes are:

1. Any first time HAL cruisers will be given automatic membership in Mariner Society if they are cruising on Valentine's Day on the Noordam.

2. Any cruiser whose online name starts with an "N" or has the number "2" in it will recieve free Margaritas for the entire cruise.

3. If either of the above applies, that new Mariner will be allowed to formally dine in the main dining room in coveralls or pasties (or both.)

I just have this feeling that this is the surprise...

While Mariner perks are something to strive for, they have nothing at all to do with our choice to cruise Holland America. Sure, it's fun to get a pin or a medallion and a luncheon - but changes to the requirements for those things will have no impact on us. Likewise, free internet would be nice, but we're happy to pay for what we use. We cruise HAL for two reasons.

1. The crew - absolutely fabulous, no matter which ship we're on.

2. HAL is the perfect fit for us. Plenty of the stuff we love, and none of that which we would find distasteful.

I'm pretty sure I know what the changes are:

1. Any first time HAL cruisers will be given automatic membership in Mariner Society if they are cruising on Valentine's Day on the Noordam.

2. Any cruiser whose online name starts with an "N" or has the number "2" in it will recieve free Margaritas for the entire cruise.

3. If either of the above applies, that new Mariner will be allowed to formally dine in the main dining room in coveralls or pasties (or both.)

I just have this feeling that this is the surprise...

Cute!! Enjoy your first HAlL cruise and on Valentine's!!

While Mariner perks are something to strive for, they have nothing at all to do with our choice to cruise Holland America. Sure, it's fun to get a pin or a medallion and a luncheon - but changes to the requirements for those things will have no impact on us. Likewise, free internet would be nice, but we're happy to pay for what we use. We cruise HAL for two reasons.

1. The crew - absolutely fabulous, no matter which ship we're on.

2. HAL is the perfect fit for us. Plenty of the stuff we love, and none of that which we would find distasteful.

I agree. In fact most lines have little incentives and I think they add to the fun for whatever line any person cruises on. But you mentioned distasteful so I think my third guess may have been incorrect. lol

If they go to increasing the days for each medallion level then that person, in the home office, should get a pick slip. I can't think on anything that could be more stupid then that. That person probably read Catch 22 too many times.

What they need to do is some jesture, other than give them a medallion, made in China. They could provide them with a free Pinnacle dinner or a free coupon booklet. Something would be nice.

On Saterday we leave on on a cruise that will take us to 300 days. If we had not gone and after the first of the year they had raised the bar to 350 I would not be a happy camper, b ut then again Seattle does not really care about its loyal customers.

If they go to increasing the days for each medallion level then that person, in the home office, should get a pick slip. I can't think on anything that could be more stupid then that. That person probably read Catch 22 too many times.

What they need to do is some jesture, other than give them a medallion, made in China. They could provide them with a free Pinnacle dinner or a free coupon booklet. Something would be nice.

On Saterday we leave on on a cruise that will take us to 300 days. If we had not gone and after the first of the year they had raised the bar to 350 I would not be a happy camper, b ut then again Seattle does not really care about its loyal customers.

Congratulations on making it to the next level on your up-coming cruise before the rules change.

Well if Sail posted it -- it must be going to happen that HAL will require more days for the various levels.

We won't see our next medals.

Just for the sake of ACCURACY, I hope you noticed the word SPECULATION in the title of the thread?

I am SPECULATING!!!

I disagree about HAL not appreciating their 6 MILLION Living Mariners. I think the Luncheon they run for us is lovely. We have always enjoyed the tradition Mariners Parties. We'd sail again and again if they didn't acknowledge our 500 days at all. We sail for the wonderful HAL cruise experience, not for the 'gimmes'.

They really don't need to do anything more than give us the cruise experience we come back again and again for. The Luncheon or Show Lounge Traditional Party is nicely done and we enjoy whichever is offered on each cruise.\

JMHO......

Archived