Glory Tours

Twirl

We've used Glory tours several times and had good luck. Sarah seems very concerned about her tours and your good time. BUT, we did have a problem with the glass bottom boat. We went and it was great but we were running a bit late. The boat landed at a different beach. Problem was that my sister and BIL stayed on the beach, he doesn't like boats. They wanted to take us back to ship and I kept saying, not going without my sister. They called back to the other beach and coudn't find them. Finally, Glory sent a van for me and hub and we went back to first beach and found them. They did follow up but only because I was darned insistant about not losing my baby sis. So, I'd say stay with the tour. You don't have to get in water to enjoy glass bottom boat. We hit Barbados this January on Victory. Seen the whole town so are taking day long catamaran, Silver Moon which only takes 24 folks. Hope we like it.

Libtrek

Question about one of Glory's tours: the Bajan Highlights (half day land & sea) includes

Harrisons Cave

East Coast (lunch stop)

Snorkeling at a ship wreck

& Swimming with turtles (west Coast)

Glass Bottom Boat Cruise

Or, for $23 less, you can skip the glass bottom boat.

My question: if you do that, their website says "you may spend that time at the beach on the West Coast where you can swim and snorkel with your own gear."

But the website notes that snorkel gear is provided other than on the glass bottom boat. So, would I have the snorkel gear from the earlier portion of the tour to use still if I just wanted to hang at the beach?

Are there chairs there? Any other facilities? Anyone know which beach this might be?

I can't help you with the question about chairs and facilities, but from what I've read on here, you get the snorkel gear on the glass bottom boat to use for the 2 snorkel stops and if you don't do the glass bottom boat, you have to bring your own gear.

I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong. :rolleyes:

I can certainly see where the tour company is coming from. You book a tour with them and you get off the ship and someone comes up and offers you a better deal. Now you think that the other people were just trying to stiff you and you go with this second person and stiff the first. Not right, but some do it.

I would have no problem in giving my CC over the phone as a holding just like a hotel room. I would expect the charge only if I didn’t show for no good reason. Like the ship docked and I changed my mind. If the ship did not dock I would not expect the charge.

Credit card companies make a percent charge to the merchant and the tour people loose that so they have to increase the charge by that much to equal out. If they just hold the reservation with a credit card and the customer pays cash, then they come out ahead and so does the customer since the Credit card % is not charged to either.

If there is a problem with the CC charge, you always have the credit card people to help you with a disputed charge. With a check, once it is cashed, I don’t think the bank will try to help you solve any disputes.

I read where the Bajan dollar value was tied to the dollar. How can it change and the exchange rate soar?????

Yes you are correct Barbados Dollar is fixed to the USD. However, don't forget it isn't fixed to the CND (which is why that one poster's rate went down, yes down cuz the CND fell against the USD thus making the CND cheaper to USD holders but more expensive to CND holders). Also, even if a currency is fixed to another currency the banks charge a fee as it still cost money and time to convert one currency to another currency.

Additionally: The bank's "spot" rate might not be 100% the same as the fixed rate due to spreads, which are built in fees between the fixed and the spot rates and normally used to pay the currency trader who has to buy USD with Barbados Dollars in order to settle the trade. Therefore, it is a lot more complex than one would believe even though the currencies are pegged (that is why you don't want to work in banking & finance like I do, LOL ;)).

Hope this clears up any confusion about the exchange rates that you have. :D

Sorry I didn't get a chance to post this right after our tour but I will highly recommend Glory tours. Sarah did a wonderful job in satisfying my entire job. The only thing that could have been better was lunch. Barbados was the second favorite port for some in our group. With regards to payment our cards weren't card before the tour but after. We had absolutely no problems giving our card information for Antigua,St.lucia and Barbados. I think in business it pays to be honest. Of course the company have a right to charge if the cruise ship shows up and u didn't. Time is money. The wrong thing the company can do is to charge a client for a tour that didn't go well on their part.

Without a doubt Glory tours did well and I can recommend it to anyone.

It does seem to take a long time for them to answer e-mails. My computer doesn't put things in a junk mail area but some people's do. Could that be the problem? If not, keep trying. Seems like it took over a week one time when Sarah was down with the flu.

Has anyone else had trouble getting hold of Sarah? I've sent 3 emails over the past week and no response.

Finally give up waiting for answers to emails and called Sarah. She confirmed details of the tour we wanted and then we booked on-line to get the discount.

I e-mailed Glory Tours last week to confirm our reservation on Jan. 23. So far no response. All the other tours answered back immediately when I e-mailed them to confirm.

I would hope I do not have to call them, and they can get to may e-mail, but I guess I will have to soon. It doesn't make one feel very secure when this is the case and you have already paid in full and then some.

I will try to keep a positive attitude!

I e-mailed Glory Tours last week to confirm our reservation on Jan. 23. So far no response. All the other tours answered back immediately when I e-mailed them to confirm.

I would hope I do not have to call them, and they can get to may e-mail, but I guess I will have to soon. It doesn't make one feel very secure when this is the case and you have already paid in full and then some.

I will try to keep a positive attitude!

We got our Tour Voucher this morning. I called her last week after several e-mails went unanswered. The only issue is the tour description on the voucher is different than on their web site. Have to get hold of her to explain.

I emailed Sarah, and she responded the next day, but she didn't answer all of my questions, and I wanted to hear from the people on this board.

How was the glassbottom boat portion? How was is planned out? I am very interested in swimming with the turtles and snorkeling, but if I only have 1.5 hours I think I might rather swim the whole time rather than sit in a boat. If the boat ride is only a 20 min ride then I would be fine with that.

Also, if I pass on the glassbottom boat portion do I not get to swim with the rest of the people? Seeing turtles sounds too cool, but I don't want to bypass this portion of the tour just to save money.

Are there bathrooms in which to change? The website says to wear your bathing suit, but I don't know if I want to wear it all day. Also I might have to go to the bathroom by then and will just change then.

Kamakiri: Sarah did responds after I tried again and we are all set for the Best of Barbados on Jan. 23.

The glass bottom boat and snorkeling with the turtles is part of our excursion so as soon as I return I will tell you how it all went.

Hopefully your cruise is sometime in the future and you have some time. I will try to post Jan. 30. or shortly after.

You have to go in the glass bottom boat to get to the turtles. After the land part they take you to a beach, that is where you can stay if you don't want to do the glass bottom boat and turtles as that is where the boat brought us back. You go in the boat directly to the turtles, it was a relatively quick ride, I think about 15-20 minutes and then you get out and snorkel with the turtles, it was amazing. Then they take you to the second snorkel stop. The glass bottom boat was great for my husband who doesn't snorkel, he still got to see the turtles swimming under the boat, but I didn't use the glass bottom for anything, it wasn't like a tour of things to look through the bottom at.

I think if you are going on this tour, missing the glass bottom boat and therefore the turtles, would be a huge loss.

I hope that helps.

• 2 weeks later...

We are back from our trip to paradise, and I am slowly getting back into normal things. I will write a full review on our cruise soon but wanted to get back to you on our Barbados experience.

The Emerald Princess docked in Barbados Jan. 23. The ship docks in quite an industrial area and you are picked up at the ship by buses and taken over to the port terminal. This is where it got quite ugly. They had about 6 or 7 buses to take around 3000 passengers over which would have been walkable but you were not allowed to do so. We went to get off and people were backed up the stairwell and held till each bus would fill and move on. It was awful and we were running to catch Glory Tours as we got off later than expected. We were possibly 15 minutes late but so were the others that were going on this tour. As you left the terminal gate you are bombarded with tour vendors wanting to take you on tours. I asked for Glory Tours and a man said they left, but then I hear a shout and a man holding a Glory Tours sign was there. He said other vendors will try to take their tours if they can by saying this.

Jamal (SP) guided us to a van. I told him we were on the Best of Barbados and the others were on a different tour. He said he would take us with the others. We went very quickly to the Harrison Caves. Jamal drove very well on these curvy roads, but very fast. At the caves Sarah talked to my husband and myself about not being able to do our tour as promised as she had to take an Expedia group that day. We were to go with Jamal and have the Wild Life Reserve cut out. She said she would refund our money in part, but I have not seen that so far. Our tour had cost more than the one we were put on.

I was disappointed, but stuff happens, and we understood. I am not holding my breath on the refund as I was overcharged a bit for this tour in the first place and even though she said she would refund it, it did not happen. In the end I had planned to right this with my tip to Sarah but since we had Jamal, who did a fantastic job, I was not able to do that and tipped him anyway.

The good parts now: The Harrison Caves were so fantastic. We live by the Lewis and Clark Caverns and we thought nothing could compare to them but we were wrong. This was amazing. We were 160 feet under in caves with beautiful stalagtites and stalagmites with the ceiling being 150 feet above us. Water ran in little streams all around it. Little drips of water hit you constantly. WOW it was great. We rode in a tram and was able to get out for great pictures. Amazing excursion.

Jamal walked us behind the caves outside to a lush tropical area and we were able to see the monkey I so wanted to see at the Wildlife preserve. I wish we could have walked around this area. It looked like it had paths and trails. So gorgeous.

We were off for an island site seeing tour of beautiful country sides and ocean views. Then to a cozy lunch at a small eatery seeming in the middle of no where. We had flying fish sandwiches and a drink. We were able to change to our swimming suits here.

Jamal gave a wonderful narrative and we were with only 6 other people so it was a lot of fun.

Then we went to a lovely beach and loaded in a glass bottom boat. Jamal went too and drove the boat also so we knew he was good friends with the boat driver. We only went a short distance to an area where several other excursions were. There was no reef just a sandy bottom but we saw 3 turtles total and that was really amazing. They are so regal. They feed the fish so this attracts them. I was amazed at the puffer fish. I have never seen so many at one time. We were a little concerned with safety as other boats come and go and they are not as safety conscience as I would have liked with starting their motors very close to people.

We brought our own snorkel gear but they do have masks and snorkels on board. No fins. Off then a short distance to a sunken ship and there was a massive amount of fish here. You literally could not see through them there was so many.

We sampled a little rum punch and then back to the beach where there were bathroom facilities. We loaded in the van and back to the port.

Jamal was quite entertaining and sang to us often. He was a great guide.

I loved Barbados and our tour was wonderful. I will let you know if I am ever refunded. It was worth the money anyway when I compare it to the ship excursions I've been on for more.

Any questions let me know.

I have emailed Sarah twice and gotten no response. The first time I used the general Glory Tours email 2 weeks ago, the second Sarah @ Glory Tours last week. There is one more email address that I could try but I'm a little put off by this. Does anyone have a better way to contact Sarah?

Glory tours do sound good from their website and reviews however I don't care for full payment, up front.

Most of Glory tours seem to be starting in the morning but we would like to tour after checking out of the hotel, (12:30 to 4:30) prior to boarding the ship late afternoon.

Any suggestions?

Question about one of Glory's tours: the Bajan Highlights (half day land & sea) includes

Harrisons Cave

East Coast (lunch stop)

Snorkeling at a ship wreck

& Swimming with turtles (west Coast)

Glass Bottom Boat Cruise

Or, for $23 less, you can skip the glass bottom boat.

Sorry to quote my own post, but I was just looking at Glory's website and this excursion, that I was about to book, now has a totally different description. Now, it is only Harrison Cave, Swim with Turtles, Glass Bottom boat. And the price is still $77. Seems really expensive for a half-day tour and no longer includes lunch.

But now, to get the turtles and lunch, you get to pay $115 and have to take the full-day tour.

I'm not finding a whole lot else to do. There's just DD & I, so it would probably cost a whole lot to try to book something just for the 2 of us.

Really would like Harrison's Cave, lunch, a beach, AND turtles.

Getting frustrated. I wanted to get everything arranged soon, as I'm going to get very, very busy very soon (I'm a CPA) and just don't want to have to think about it.

I hope I don't have to resort to booking a ship's excursion. :(

Of course, the excursion through the ship for JUST Harrison's Cave is $77 pp. And just turtles is $76, so maybe Glory's isn't so bad.

Maybe I'll ask for other recommendations in a separate thread.

I know what you mean. I want to book with Glory Tours, but the price seems to be fluctuating and I'm not into paying up front. It seems like every tour in Barbados wants this. I might just wait till I get there and find a cab. I don't know.

Just not sure what to do now, but I don't think I'll go with Glory Tours. I think they are having some kind of problems now.

Sorry to quote my own post, but I was just looking at Glory's website and this excursion, that I was about to book, now has a totally different description. Now, it is only Harrison Cave, Swim with Turtles, Glass Bottom boat. And the price is still $77. Seems really expensive for a half-day tour and no longer includes lunch.

But now, to get the turtles and lunch, you get to pay $115 and have to take the full-day tour.

I'm not finding a whole lot else to do. There's just DD & I, so it would probably cost a whole lot to try to book something just for the 2 of us.

Really would like Harrison's Cave, lunch, a beach, AND turtles.

Getting frustrated. I wanted to get everything arranged soon, as I'm going to get very, very busy very soon (I'm a CPA) and just don't want to have to think about it.

I hope I don't have to resort to booking a ship's excursion. :(

Of course, the excursion through the ship for JUST Harrison's Cave is $77 pp. And just turtles is $76, so maybe Glory's isn't so bad.

Maybe I'll ask for other recommendations in a separate thread.

Are you sure the ship's excursion to Harrison Cave is $77pp? On the Emerald Princess it costs us $49 only Harrison Cave and Scenic Drive.

I emailed Glory Tours 10 days ago and never heard back from them, so I personally will NOT do business with a company that does not reply to requests.

Island Safari and Adventure Tours also offer tours with 4x4. www shoretrips dot com as well

I was checking our Shore Trips last night. Don't they also charge you when you book, though?

Guess I'll keep looking. Maybe I'll start a thread asking for recommendations for those 4 things: Harrisons cave, lunch, beach, turtles

Well, crap. I was looking at Carnival's generic excursions. Going into my booking and looking at them, Harrisons cave isn't even listed. The generic listings stated the caves were closed July-November, but we're sailing in mid-May.

Currently (104 days out), our options are: zipline (not since the death in Roatan just before we went last May, thanks), Atlantis sub (nope), golf (nope), catamaran & turtles $99 pp, Natural wonders (countryside tour) $59 pp, shipwreck snorkel & party cruise, $49 pp, and Tiami sail, turtles & beach for $69 pp.

I may consider the last one, but I really wanted to see the caves. :(

Edit - Just found this site:

http://www.funbarbados.com/tours/

In the dropdown box, there are various tour operators. I'm going to do some research on those tonight. Maybe I can just customize a tour with one of those folks and it won't cost me an arm and a leg!

I was checking our Shore Trips last night. Don't they also charge you when you book, though?

Guess I'll keep looking. Maybe I'll start a thread asking for recommendations for those 4 things: Harrisons cave, lunch, beach, turtles

Well, crap. I was looking at Carnival's generic excursions. Going into my booking and looking at them, Harrisons cave isn't even listed. The generic listings stated the caves were closed July-November, but we're sailing in mid-May.

Currently (104 days out), our options are: zipline (not since the death in Roatan just before we went last May, thanks), Atlantis sub (nope), golf (nope), catamaran & turtles $99 pp, Natural wonders (countryside tour) $59 pp, shipwreck snorkel & party cruise, $49 pp, and Tiami sail, turtles & beach for $69 pp.

I may consider the last one, but I really wanted to see the caves. :(

Edit - Just found this site:

http://www.funbarbados.com/tours/

In the dropdown box, there are various tour operators. I'm going to do some research on those tonight. Maybe I can just customize a tour with one of those folks and it won't cost me an arm and a leg!

Not sure what day of the week you are arriving in Barbados, but Harrison Caves is closed on Monday and Tuesday!

NCTribeFan: I have also been emailing Glory tours a few times with no response. :mad: I really want to see the caves and swim with the turtles. Glory tours seems to be the only one that offers both. With only 4 weeks to go, I am getting worried I will never get an answer!!!

Have you found anything else?

We just got back and had a great tour with Sarah. She is slow in answering emails, so I called her. She answered right away and I got everything answered in a few minutes.I then booked using her web site to get the discount. We did the Natural Wonders tour and really had a good time. Saw the Caves, Gardens and lots of monkeys at the preserve. Lunch is included.

I know people get upset about the payment in full, but she is only protecting herself in case of no-shows. I checked out her charge and it was right what we agreed to. You won't go wrong with Glory Tours

I have been emailing Sarah for well over a year now. It seems the internet in these islands is down alot as sometimes she does not get my first email. So don't give up-i don't think it is necessarily a reflection of Glory Tours based on the good reviews from people coming back from their tours. ;)

Archived