whale watching in icy strait with glacier wind charters

jmezmom

We went on a full day fishing trip with Glacier Wind Charters when we did our last Alaska cruise. They did an awesome job. Shaun, the captain was very nice and informative. He lives in North Pole, AK and is a teacher as is his wife. They come to the summer home in Icy Straight that has been in the family for years to do charters while they're off for the summer. Shaun's wife was very friendly also. We went to their house before to do paperwork and then afterward as well. We all sat on their deck and drank an Alaskan Amber before going back to the ship. I highly recommend them. Although we didn't do the whale watching tour, we saw plenty of whale activity while fishing. We even saw them breaching and a couple of times, we saw a mother and her baby breaching in unison. We were so in awe of the whale activity that Shaun let us pull in our lines and finish the rest of the day whale watching. We got one really good breaching picture. I would definitely go with G-Wind if we go back to Icy Straight. Unfortunately, the cruise we have booked for this summer doesn't stop there. But my husband actually contacted Shaun to see if he could come to any of the ports we would be at because we know we'd have a great fishing captain if he did. But unfortunately, there all too far. If you choose G-Wind, have a great time!

We took a whale watch with Glacier Wind in late July of this year. The trip was awesome! We saw lots of whales and the scenery is unbelievable. Shaun was terrific and really seemed to enjoy our company as much as we enjoyed his. By the way, Shaun will take you on an extra long whale watch for a small increase in the fee if he doesn't have an afternoon fishing trip booked. That's what we did. We were on a northbound cruise and Icy Strait was our stop after Ketchikan, Juneau, and Skagway. It was so relaxing after running around for 3 straight days.

While you are in Icy Strait you may want to purchase salmon to mail home. We waited until later in the trip and were sorry because the price was higher elsewhere.

Thanks! Just what i wanted to hear!

I talked to shawns wife on the phone, she was so nice!

It is so hard to pick from the companies available.....good thing for cruise critic!

Thanks again!

You're welcome! And enjoy the awesome whales in Icy Straight. I hope you get to see some breaching.

Archived