San Diego - Aircraft Carrier

Speedo

Very short walk. Maybe a block. You can probably see it from your ship.

You may not get to see all of it because you need to be back in plenty of time for sail away, but you could see a lot of it in a couple of hours. Admission is about $15 or $20 per person.

Here are a couple of pictures that I took when we were there in March.

This is the first time I've uploaded pictures to this list, so I hope I did it right.

The first is the hanger deck. The second is the flight deck.

BTW, there were a few guys (college age) who were pulling "rickshaws" around the embarcadero. You can always have one of them take you from the cruise terminal to the carrier.

Paul

IMGP2319_Copy.jpg.9736d7482f327fe50164edce1afb7009.jpg

IMGP2362_Copy.jpg.ef2a0ba15ed29223b2599c7700caabc1.jpg

Seeing some parts of the Midway like quarters, galleys, and equipment areas as well as the bridge involve some steep stairs, ducking through hatchways, etc. The main areas and exhibits are fully accessible to everyone.

You can save a few bucks if you present your AAA card. They may do veteran's and AARP discounts, I'm not in either genre.

OUR TINY SHIP HAPPENED TO BE IN PORT IN NORFOLK, VA IN THE LATE 60'S, WHEN THE NEWLY REFURBISHED BATTLESHIP NEW JERSEY CAME INTO NOB, HEADING FOR HER SHAKEDOWN. A BUNCH OF US SAILORS ACTUALLY TOOK THE "TOUR" - NOW THERE WAS A SPECTACULAR SHIP! I WAS STATIONED IN THE ENGINE ROOM; WE GOT TO GO DOWN AND SEE THEIRS - WOW! EVERYTHING LOOKED BRAND NEW! I BELEIVE IT WENT ON TO SERVE IN VIET NAM.:cool:

Archived