3rd passenger's 'bed' ? on Century.

yoj13

Hi,

Let me start by saying I am a big fan of Celebrity and have reccommend them on lots of occasions to lots of people.

However, we have just disembarked the Century and I have been really disappointed this time. We travelled as a party of 3 as we have on a number of previous cruises. When we got to our assigned cabin, it was in a twin bed layout and I realised immediately, there were no 'wall beds' to accommodate the third passenger. When the steward called I mentioned my concern about the 3rd bed and he said it was in his storeroom! Imagine our surprise when we returned from dinner and saw the arrangement. What can only be described as a glorified sun lounger had been wedged in the middle of the twin beds. Whilst we are all reasonably fit, we are all senior citizens, so it became extremely difficult to get into bed and even more difficult to get out. Guest Relations were unable to assist as they said the ship was full - a statement which I later learned was not strictly true. Since returning home, I have had the opportunity to view the deck plans of the cabin we were assigned and I am surprised to note that it doesn't show any of the symbols which indicate a 3rd or 4th passenger. (i.e. small black triangles) The TA is unwilling to assist as they cannot and I quote 'be expected to check every cabin'!!! I don't expect them to, but nor do I expect them to sell what appears to be a 2 berth cabin for 3 people. The mattress for the bed was in a really bad condition and I have taken photographs of it. Do you think I am justified in complaing to Celebrity?

Hi,

Let me start by saying I am a big fan of Celebrity and have reccommend them on lots of occasions to lots of people.

However, we have just disembarked the Century and I have been really disappointed this time. We travelled as a party of 3 as we have on a number of previous cruises. When we got to our assigned cabin, it was in a twin bed layout and I realised immediately, there were no 'wall beds' to accommodate the third passenger. When the steward called I mentioned my concern about the 3rd bed and he said it was in his storeroom! Imagine our surprise when we returned from dinner and saw the arrangement. What can only be described as a glorified sun lounger had been wedged in the middle of the twin beds. Whilst we are all reasonably fit, we are all senior citizens, so it became extremely difficult to get into bed and even more difficult to get out. Guest Relations were unable to assist as they said the ship was full - a statement which I later learned was not strictly true. Since returning home, I have had the opportunity to view the deck plans of the cabin we were assigned and I am surprised to note that it doesn't show any of the symbols which indicate a 3rd or 4th passenger. (i.e. small black triangles) The TA is unwilling to assist as they cannot and I quote 'be expected to check every cabin'!!! I don't expect them to, but nor do I expect them to sell what appears to be a 2 berth cabin for 3 people. The mattress for the bed was in a really bad condition and I have taken photographs of it. Do you think I am justified in complaing to Celebrity?

Problem is, if you look at your reservation, it probably said "Rollaway Bed Required" under the special comment section. We have three people in our stateroom, and have been told that certain concierge class staterooms have a sofa bed. Time will tell, as I hope not to be in your situation.

As for the phone call, that is up to you.

IMHO, this is your TAs fault for not doing their homework. That is what you pay them for.

I agree. The person you should be complaining to IS your TA. It is their responsibility as your agent to let you know about things like this.

Hi,

Thank you all for your replies/advice. As I said in my original post, my TA is taking no responsibility although I went into 'my contract was with them' mode! There is no mention of a roll/foldaway bed on the original papers A sofa bed may have been superior to the 'sun lounger' we were given. Honestly, we are not complainers but just feel on this occasion we were perhaps duped. We have cruised the Century previously (3 of us) and the bed arrangement (wall) was just fine. If anyone could confirm that when the deck plan arrangement shows no symbols for the 3/4th passenger, is it strictly a 2 passenger cabin please? Thank you.

I would also give X a written heads up about this practice and do mention the TA is not willing to talk about your problem.

I am the sofa bed tester in this family but I to have to say those sofa beds have been getting worse. The last one on the Merury being the worst so far.

At least you have not been directed to share the cabin with some of the crew.

Century´s guys are nice, but there was also a hysterical lady (crew staff) - so i don´t know.

I think this has to be written in a cataloge.

Hi,

Thank you once again for all advice. To keep you up to date, I have written to Celebrity highlighting our disappointment and by return have received an acknowledgement saying they will look into it. so hopefully it may avoid someone else having the glorified sun lounger for a bed!

Archived