Radiance & Jewel Coming To Vancouver For Winter Olympics 2010

Phamer55

The Radiance & Jewel will both be coming to Vancouver for the 2010 Winter Olympics. They've already posted the Pacific Coastal cruises (9 and 10 days) coming to Vancouver in January and leaving Vancouver in March on the RCI website (you can ignore the South American cruises, those are no longer valid should be removed soon). The Jewel Panama canal cruises and coastal cruises have not yet been posted. I assume the ships will be used as floating hotels during the Olympics (not sure I like this idea of using ships as hotels).

They've also posted the Radiance's new Mexican Riviera cruises on the site, as a couple of threads have already mentioned.

The Radiance & Jewel will both be coming to Vancouver for the 2010 Winter Olympics. They've already posted the Pacific Coastal cruises (9 and 10 days) coming to Vancouver in January and leaving Vancouver in March on the RCI website (you can ignore the South American cruises, those are no longer valid should be removed soon). The Jewel Panama canal cruises and coastal cruises have not yet been posted. I assume the ships will be used as floating hotels during the Olympics (not sure I like this idea of using ships as hotels).

They've also posted the Radiance's new Mexican Riviera cruises on the site, as a couple of threads have already mentioned.

I think they did that in Athens, Greece for the 04 Summer Olympics. Not sure if it was RCI or another line. It definitely will give them more hotel rooms.

When does the Olympics start? We are booked on the Jewel Panama/Caribbean for January 2, 2010. I looked on the RCL and the other cruises for January 11 and January 22 are N/A. Should I be worried?

The Vancouver games are from Feb 12-Feb28, 2010. You are a month before the games.

When does the Olympics start? We are booked on the Jewel Panama/Caribbean for January 2, 2010. I looked on the RCL and the other cruises for January 11 and January 22 are N/A. Should I be worried?

I would check with them. If they are showing N/A they are doing something. With all the redeployments and basically dropping South America you should definitely make inquiries.

If your cruise does not show n/a then I would not worry as it would be a little early for the repositioning to get to the games. The January 11th and January 22nd ones would fit with a full transit of the Panama Canal and then a repo up to Vancouver in time for the games.

If your cruise does not show n/a then I would not worry as it would be a little early for the repositioning to get to the games. The January 11th and January 22nd ones would fit with a full transit of the Panama Canal and then a repo up to Vancouver in time for the games.

Thank goodness we picked jan 2 cruise instead of the jan 11 or jan 22 cruise. Vacation saved. :)

Thanks.

Thank goodness we picked jan 2 cruise instead of the jan 11 or jan 22 cruise. Vacation saved. :)

Thanks.

Hey Minybear...hope all is well. We will be back on the Jewel - March 5th....I hope as things keep changing itin wise with RCCL. A week should be enough time after the games to get the ship together.

Hey Minybear...hope all is well. We will be back on the Jewel - March 5th....I hope as things keep changing itin wise with RCCL. A week should be enough time after the games to get the ship together.

Hi LisaH

I see we are taking the same cruise again but again different dates. I cannot wait to see the Jewel again. If our cruise were to be canceled we would have prob changed it to March.

Hi LisaH

I see we are taking the same cruise again but again different dates. I cannot wait to see the Jewel again. If our cruise were to be canceled we would have prob changed it to March.

Too bad we are not on the same cruise...but I guess ya never know. It concerns me a little that the ship is going to be in Vancouver until 2/28 and depending on leap year, that does not give it many days to get back to Miami but I guess it can be done??

Anyone have any idea if the ship made no stops and cruises from Vancouver straight to Miami - can they do it in 5 days?

And we are on the Jewel 3/5/10 - I hope they have her back in ship shape for us the next week. :)

If your cruise is March 5th there is a very good chance yours will be cancelled to as there is not enough time between the end of the games to get Jewel back down the West Coast through the Panama Canal and up to Miami by then - that's only a week for a cruise that would usually take about 3 weeks (with port stops). In fact the March 5th cruise has gone to N/A which is a pretty good sign it's being cancelled as we speak. The March 15th cruise is N/A as well, only the March 26th cruise is still open for booking.

If your cruise is March 5th there is a very good chance yours will be cancelled to as there is not enough time between the end of the games to get Jewel back down the West Coast through the Panama Canal and up to Miami by then - that's only a week for a cruise that would usually take about 3 weeks (with port stops). In fact the March 5th cruise has gone to N/A which is a pretty good sign it's being cancelled as we speak. The March 15th cruise is N/A as well, only the March 26th cruise is still open for booking.

Thanks wrp96! I emailed my TA but he is out of the office. If I don't hear from him in the next couple of days, I will call the office.

Keep an eye out, maybe you can get a good deal on the full transit Panama Canal - so you'd actually get to enter the canal on the ship.

I was okay with the revised itin as we had not been to most of the locations and the Jewel was the main reason - it is our new favorite ship. Soooo this does leave the planning door open as for me planning is 1/2 the fun.

After our experience on the Island Princess and being close to a service door, I am very leary of not knowing deck plans. But I can inquire so who knows.

Again, thanks much for the info...

LisaH

I don't see March 5, 2010 on the RCCL website. Yours is a 10 night right? The next cruise I see is March 26, 2010. I don't even see my cruise Jan 2.

Sorry Lisa.

Yep, it was from 3/5 to 3/15. I am going to call my TAs office now.

LisaH

I don't see March 5, 2010 on the RCCL website. Yours is a 10 night right? The next cruise I see is March 26, 2010. I don't even see my cruise Jan 2.

Sorry Lisa.

Yep, they just removed all the January and February 2010 cruises from the website, plus the first 2 cruises in March.

Minybear it sounds like something might be happening your cruise as well. I would start looking to see if any other cruises catch your eye, while you wait to see what RCCL actually does to your cruise.

I just spoke to our TAs office and it does show our cruise is closed and for it to be closed this far out is definitely an ominous sign. However, our booking still shows as booked.

My TA will be back on Monday but I am going to start some research on new dates/ship. The idea originally was to cruise over 3/12 for a friend's birthday celebration...but that is not firm at this point either.

So for me planning is 1/2 the fun so now I get to plan again.

Well since the March 26th cruise is still open, and you know that somehow she is going to have to go back through the Panama Canal to get there in time, it is very likely that the Full Transit Panama Canal will be over March 12th so you might wait and look at that when they do finally open those itineraries.

So it's my understanding that even though the RD and JW will be in port for consecutive days, I can't book to sail on them and then stay on the ship as a hotel for the Olympics. The next obstacle would be to actually get tickets to Olympics events, usually you have to apply NOW for those!

Archived