Who do you get your insurance through?

serena_17

Hi,

I'm after the best insurance for a 7-night, South Pacific cruise: who do you think offers the best value for money?

I'm probably looking for a policy that offers a comprehensive medical component should the unthinkable happen and we have to be helicoptered off the ship :eek: or fly home from one of the islands.

Luggage, etc isn't a big deal - there's always island shopping or walking around like a billboard for the cruiseline in t-shirts from the ship shops.:rolleyes:

Only one company we use, the policy is very favourable when you compare it with much more expensive companies. All done online and backed by Allianz..

1 cover dot com dot au

is that permissable????...:eek: :D

We have used them for most of our cruises, low prices and good service.

S&D:)

0037-0707-0920-3004_TN.jpg.3a90a236c47cb746736b2b36b2ccdd56.jpg

Hi,

I'm after the best insurance for a 7-night, South Pacific cruise: who do you think offers the best value for money?

I'm probably looking for a policy that offers a comprehensive medical component should the unthinkable happen and we have to be helicoptered off the ship :eek: or fly home from one of the islands.

Luggage, etc isn't a big deal - there's always island shopping or walking around like a billboard for the cruiseline in t-shirts from the ship shops.:rolleyes:

Hi Serena

We have mostly gone through MBF as we are members with them but for our last cruise NRMA was cheaper so we went with them. I do know that there are companies that are cheaper but I wanted a company that we know about and not an obscure one. :o

I have heard others on these boards talking about on-line travel insurance......maybe someone else can advise a good on-line company.

Hope this helps.:)

Hi, I don't know if we are permitted to give exact Companies on these sights. However, if you google Travel Insurance, you will find all the info you need. We just asked a few for quotes, then looked through what they offered and charged, and selected ours that way.

Hope this helps.

We just pay our trips on our credit card and have automatic insurance for overseas travel though that.

We do have to let them know about previous ongoing medical problems and maybe pay $65 to cover that( eg ;diabetes) and we are off.

I have had the coverage booklet sent out and have compared it to other policies and it seems to cover all that they do. We bank with Westpac and they outsource the insurance cover to another company. I can't remember who it was last year. Meg

We just pay our trips on our credit card and have automatic insurance for overseas travel though that.

We do have to let them know about previous ongoing medical problems and maybe pay $65 to cover that( eg ;diabetes) and we are off.

I have had the coverage booklet sent out and have compared it to other policies and it seems to cover all that they do. We bank with Westpac and they outsource the insurance cover to another company. I can't remember who it was last year. Meg

I too get free insurance via ANZ Platinum Visa Underwritten by AIG . Provided I pay for $250 of the travel on the card before I depart . I am even covered when I use Frequent Flyer points and only pay the tax on the air fare with it.

This year I had an operation in Bali and it was over $ 8,000 - no problem and they flew me home Business Class

I've always used CGU Travel and they've always been reasonably priced. They also have a high level of cover.

When we needed to claim Mr Minx's medical expenses on our last cruise they were brilliant! Had the cheque to us, less the $100 excess within days of us submitting all of our records. They just needed a print out of our P&O bill which showed the medical centre's charges, AND they even reimbursed us for Mr Minx's missed Jet Boat Adventure! The claims girl even had a lovely chat with Mr M about cruising, as she too was a cruise lover :):D

We too go with CGU, hey that sounds like an ad, anyway we have only had to claim once and I couldn't believe how quick we got a cheque! We rang them when we got back, they gave us a claim number, we faxed paperwork to them and within a week had a cheque. Thought we would at least have to talk on the phone about it all but no problems. We will stick with them.

Hi Tracey,

I looked around and compared several companies and I agree with S&D, and went with the same company, I wont mention them here again in case i get into trouble,:rolleyes: but if you look them up on the web you will see they offer a great deal. But also check with your Visa card company as a lot of banks offer free travel insurance if you use your card to pay for your fare.

Hi,

As an example, I am going on Pacific Sun N907 next Feb for 1 week to the Pacific Islands and my online travel insurance is costing $125 for the whole family with no excess.

It seems like a good plan with great medical coverage and all sorts of extra's. It is underwritten by a well known large insurance company. You can also get it for $100 with excess.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong here (and I'm sure you will;) ) but as far as I know we're allowed to mention insurance companies. Just not T/A's.

Discussion on Travel Insurance is fine!!

(CC does not make money on Insurance policies via advertised links)

Majority of policies in the market are underwitten by Mondial/Allianz or QBE. Both offer similar coverage, and are sold direct from Allianz or QBE, other insurance companies like MBF or NIB, and online brokers.

There are two types of cover for these - one that covers for your period of travel, or another that covers annually.

Search around on the net. Last one we priced, there were other identical Allianz policies sold that were cheaper than 1cover. The cheapest company sometimes varies depending on the number of days of travel. Fill out the online forms for price comparisons.

After shopping around, the cheapest high cover annual policy we found was "Insure 4 Less" - underwritten by Lloyds. $422 for family under 56 for a years cover - overseas except USA and Japan, and all domestic too.

https://www.insure4less.com.au/multitravel.php

As we will be on 4 cruises in the year + domestic travel, it is good value for us.

I got my insurance through 1cover and if you are interested in buying cover off them and click on the attached link to check it out I get a $10 Sanity Voucher:p . It's part of their refer a friend promotion and you are all my friends right!!!:confused: Maybe I could use any vouchers I get to buy my Kris Kringle gift. Now there's a thought.:rolleyes:

Cheers,

Charmain:)

http://www.1cover.com.au/index.html?rafID=337044

We use Insure4less..an online agency.

It is costing us $90.00 for a family of 4 for 11 days..i think from memory the cheaper cover was about $79.

We used them for our last cruise also but I have never had to make a claim.

i guess that's when you find out who the good ones are!!:D:D

We use Insure4less..an online agency.

It is costing us $90.00 for a family of 4 for 11 days..i think from memory the cheaper cover was about $79.

We used them for our last cruise also but I have never had to make a claim.

i guess that's when you find out who the good ones are!!:D:D

Have noticed that the $90 one has a few things it doesn't cover, but should be enough for good coverage on a cruise.

Their excel plus is $99, which is still a fair bit cheaper than 1cover @ $116. The excess is an extra $25 on insure4less, but that is only minor if you need to claim. (prices are based on a family 55 yrs and under)

• 4 weeks later...

We are using Vero for our Travel Insurance, the TA offered us a quote with Vero but I chose to phone them myself as all the car & contents Insurance are with Vero. I told the TA about the price diff so they matched it and have waived the $100 excess. I thought that was pretty good :)

Just a word of warning about 1cover.com.au. If you have elderly parents over the age of 84 you are not covered if you have to cancel or delay if they become ill or pass away. This is NOT disclosed in their PDS.

Is there any that do?

1cover are only an online sales outlet for Allianz/Mondial. Several bricks/mortar and online companies sell these policies. The main competing policy is underwritten by QBE, and I don't know if it is covered on those or not.

Is certainly food for thought for anyone with elderly parents.

We are using Vero for our Travel Insurance, the TA offered us a quote with Vero but I chose to phone them myself as all the car & contents Insurance are with Vero. I told the TA about the price diff so they matched it and have waived the $100 excess. I thought that was pretty good :)

Vero was the dearest we could find when we were shopping around. Our T/A would have had to drop their price by over $50 to get it to match our best price - goes to show the commission they make on such an easy transaction.

For those that are seeing all the new AAMI ads for their "own" travel insurance - these are also Vero policies.

Is there any that do?

1cover are only an online sales outlet for Allianz/Mondial. Several bricks/mortar and online companies sell these policies. The main competing policy is underwritten by QBE, and I don't know if it is covered on those or not.

Is certainly food for thought for anyone with elderly parents.

Yes, Geoff, QBE's 'Australian Cruising Travel Plan' family of 4, $178 through travelinsurance.com.au does cover parents aged over 84. :)

It could have been a costly mistake had I not phoned 1cover.com.au (underwritten by Allianz) - :eek: I said it should have been disclosed in their PDS - their resonse was "we're drafting a new PDS" - I don't know if they ever did.

I use the Travellers Assistance insurance via the "Road Assistance Company Queensland" site. When you are a member you get a discount on your insurance policy.

With most travel insurance policies, if you are a single parent, you can opt for a single cover and it INCLUDES your children up to the age of 25. (Read the small print)

Hope that is useful :)

Cheers,

Moira

PS. I do know that is not what the initials stand for but they are also a travel agent ;)

Can someone please advise if Worldcare covers against sickness/death before leaving date? ie....

If myself or family member (attending the cruise) get sick and we are unable to go??

If a non-cruising family member becomes ill or dies??

I tried to ring them but due to world events they are very very busy and I was on hold for over 30mins :eek:

I got a quote off AAMI Travel Insurance but they only cover for things that don't involve YOU before the cruise ie cancellation due to seas etc, and not sickness :confused:

Archived