Many questions. First cruise.

Freebirdsf61

Hello. I've been looking on discount cruise websites and have seen great deals. My partner and I would like to take a cruise south probably in January, 2009. First, when a cruise is listed at $399 per person/dble occupancy, adding on the $10 per day ($70 total) what additional costs can I expect?

Second question: What should I be aware of in choosing a cruise? We're a middle aged couple of Gay Hippy Men that clean up nice....but we don't want a Gay cruise. We don't want to be over run with children either but dont mind kids. We smoke but don't have to everywhere.

Third vague inquiry: Carnaval Cruises, Princess, and the Norwegian Line are the 3 I've been looking at discount rates on. Any thoughts? All of these leave from Long Beach or LA which is doable but I'd rather skip the airflight and start the trip by boat (for cheap) from San Francisco.

Welcome to Cruise Critic, Freebirds. I see this was your first post. I'll attempt to answer some of your questions, and I'm sure others will jump in and add more info.

What's not included: tips, food in specialty restaurants (food in the main dining room and the Lido (buffet style) and room service is free), alcoholic beverages, spa treatments, and shore excursions.

Your choice of cruises from SF is going to be limited; Long Beach, LA, and San Diego offer more choices.

To avoid children, choose a cruise when the little beings tend to be in school.

Many cruises will have a "Friends of Dorothy" meeting for gay and lesbian passengers. Check the daily program.

I'm not gay, but I think you'll be fine on any of the 3 cruise lines you mentioned. You may want to head over to the Gay and Lesbian forum and ask questions there. There are some gays and gay couples that prefer the gay charter cruises, others prefer to just blend in with the rest of us. :D

I'll warn you in advance - cruising can be addictive!

Roz

In addition to what Roz has told you will be pictures! And, you will want tons of them! LOL

Some cruise lines let you pre-pay tips or put them on your sign and sail card which is your cabin key, ID to get on and off the ship and your "charge card" for the cruise. Room service tips are to be paid in cash at time of service. They aren't included in the tip charge. That's the only place that I can think of that you would actually use cash on the ship.

Sorry, can't help you with ports on the "left coast", I am a "right coast" dweller and haven't, as of yet, sailed from your side of the country. We will be sailing from Long Beach in March 09.

I am a smoker too so my suggestion to you is to check out the smoking policies on the ship lines website. Carnival and Princess allow smoking in the cabin, on the balcony and in designated areas on board. The areas on board are usually restricted to one side of the ship on outdoor decks and in limited lounges indoors. Haven't been on Norwegian so can't help you with that one.

To avoid a ship full of kids make sure you avoid Holiday sailings, Spring break sailings, summers and shorter cruisers. Most longer cruises are more adults than kids. We have been lucky and have not ever had a problem with children misbehaving on board.

Definitely visit the Gay and Lesbian board...........lots of good info for you there. http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=162

Hope this helps and you find a cruise that will be to your liking, I bet you will get hooked on cruising like the rest of us.

Welcome.

1. Cost - Verify that the price includes government fees and taxes. These are frequently extra and vary by ports included. Most lines charge your on board account about $10 per passenger per day for tips for the cabin steward and the dining room staff. Beyond that there are a wide range of optional expenses. Some are shore excursions, drinks, specialty restuarants, gambling, bingo, photo, spa, etc.

3. There are few cruises from SF. Princess does Alaskan cruises from AF during that season. They also have some repositioning cruises from SF, but they either start or end somewhere else.

2. Children are more prevelant on cruises during school vacations - summer, Christmas, & Spring Break.

3. Princess has Alaskan cruises out of SF. Also, there are some repositioning cruises that either start or end there.

You may want to check the Gay & Lesbian section of these boards.

Welcome!

As the other posters have said, there aren't too many cruises out of The City, more out of LA, San Pedro, Long Beach and San diego; all driveable if you really don't want to fly.

I have a cruise out of Ft. Lauderdale next April which will be my first "mainstream" cruise, having sailed with Atlantis on all my previous cruises. It should be interesting, and certainly more sedate. Though I'm in my early 60s, I'm too young to go on a cruise where they roll up the sidewalks at 9 o'clock.

Freebirds....welcome to Cruise Critic. The advice given by the others is correct. I think you will have a wonderful cruise no matter which one you choose. We would never consider an 'all gay' cruise. We have been on many cruises (as you can see in our signature below), all mainstream, and have never had any problem. When we booked our first cruise 10 years ago we were a little hesitant but after meeting all the wonderful people it has been full steam ahead.

There are some people who try one cruise and will never go on another one, but for us it is the way to go. We also do group land tours.

Happy travels,

Certainly a great start to my inquiries so far here. We're looking to really relax. We have very easy schedules but never leave the city....I mean never. The pace wears me down. We live in the Gay Mecca, probably part of what we need a vacation from, so it's not like we need to go somewhere to be Gay...we just need to relax and be taken care of a little for a minute....without being hospitalized:). I will check out the Lesbian/Gay Forum but you've made me feel welcome all around. Thank you.

Archived