Who has used Oscar Brown lately

dec2007w3boys

We were delayed in Belize because a ship tour was late getting back. This put us late getting into Puerto Limon. Oscar was waiting for us even though we were late. Just be sure to let him know what SHIP you are on. Oscar can tell if your ship is there, so he will be looking for you. On one of stops in Puerto Limon it was raining so hard you could barely see. I went out and found Oscar while others waited on the ship. Be sure to set up a place to meet him and he will be there. The independent tours are not allowed into the area where the ships tours are.

Amy,

Just let Oscar know that you want to do some shopping. Some people wanted to buy coffee downtown at a cheaper rate. We stopped for a few mintues and he made a deal with the vendor. People bought coffee and we were on our way. If your group decides to skip lunch, just let him know, he is very flexible.

Thanks for the advice!! What a great idea.

Thank you so much for getting back to me. You answered everything perfectly and made me feel a lot better about the timing of it all. As of right now I have 8 people in my group and Carol told me she had 2 more people for the combo tour that would be added with us and Oscar is supposed to be a tour guide which was another reason I am realxing about the time schedule.

Your answers actually brought about a couple more questions so if you don't mind... :)

1) First and foremost, were you pleased with the combo tour or was it too fast?? like you said, the rafting was only an hour on the river - was this enough time? and the ziplining was only about an hour too and was very fast. was it worth it??

2) I have a digital camera that has an underwater case - i see that you said there was a photographer that followed along. I will definitely buy the CD as that would be great to have (do you remember the cost?) but I would like to bring my camera on the raft to get some pictures too - would you advise this?? or just too rough?

3) When you were rafting, what did you do with your belongings?? I'm sure everyone is going to have a change of clothes but I also wanted to bring my larger camera to take pictures along the drive and since my sister is afraid of heights and won't be ziplining, she was going to take pictures using the bigger lens. But I didn't know where this would be kept while rafting.

4) Last question, I promise!! :) How much time do you think you had once you returned to the port??? We were all talking about skipping the lunch too and heading back to be sure we were there and also many of us wanted to do a little shopping in the port area.

Thanks again for answering all of our questions!!!

I didn't think it was too fast at all, but we had also zip-lined before, so if this is your first time, you may be a little disappointed in how fast it goes. As for the rafting, we weren't disappointed in the amount of time, but we all would have continued if we could have! Rafting is definately on our short list to do again soon!

I wouldn't take my camera. We also had a person on shore that took a few pictures, but for $20 you can buy the CD and the pictures are very good. I'll post a link at the bottom so you can see a few of them. The guide had a plastic bag that a short way into the trip most of us put our sunglasses, but he was very up front about not taking responsibility if something should happen to them. I wouldn't risk it with a camera. We left our belongings on the bus with Oscar and our friend who didn't raft.

I think we had about 45 minutes to shop - maybe a little longer. Oscar was very good about taking all of our wishes into consideration. Just let him know what you want. As for whether it was worth it - Absolutely! I would do it again tomorrow. By the way, we only paid about $18 more to do both activities while others only did one (through the ship). They also didn't get the personal attention that Oscar brought to our tour. Have a great time!

_MG_4958.jpg

_MG_4823.jpg

_MG_4963.jpg

I didn't think it was too fast at all, but we had also zip-lined before, so if this is your first time, you may be a little disappointed in how fast it goes. As for the rafting, we weren't disappointed in the amount of time, but we all would have continued if we could have! Rafting is definately on our short list to do again soon!

I wouldn't take my camera. We also had a person on shore that took a few pictures, but for $20 you can buy the CD and the pictures are very good. I'll post a link at the bottom so you can see a few of them. The guide had a plastic bag that a short way into the trip most of us put our sunglasses, but he was very up front about not taking responsibility if something should happen to them. I wouldn't risk it with a camera. We left our belongings on the bus with Oscar and our friend who didn't raft.

I think we had about 45 minutes to shop - maybe a little longer. Oscar was very good about taking all of our wishes into consideration. Just let him know what you want. As for whether it was worth it - Absolutely! I would do it again tomorrow. By the way, we only paid about $18 more to do both activities while others only did one (through the ship). They also didn't get the personal attention that Oscar brought to our tour. Have a great time!

_MG_4958.jpg

_MG_4823.jpg

_MG_4963.jpg

Those pictures are awesome!!!

Thanks so much for answering all of our questions.

I know you said that you left your belongings in the van with Oscar and a friend who didn't raft - since we are all rafting and can't leave them with one of my group members - would you still say it would be ok to leave our stuff in the van (including various cameras?)

I think Oscar would be more than willing (and safe enough) to leave your personal belongings with. Perhaps you could email him ahead of time and ask what he thinks. Truthfully, he relies enough on word of mouth through these boards, that I would think he would go out of his way to take care of whatever possessions you need him to watch.

I think Oscar would be more than willing (and safe enough) to leave your personal belongings with. Perhaps you could email him ahead of time and ask what he thinks. Truthfully, he relies enough on word of mouth through these boards, that I would think he would go out of his way to take care of whatever possessions you need him to watch.

I have left cameras, back packs etc in the van with Oscar. Everything should be fine with him. I wouldn't leave my passport in the van, but I don't leave that any where except my safe in the cabin.

• 1 month later...

Thank you all so much for the informative posts. I find them extremely helpful.

We are a family of five ages 54 to 12 going on the Carnival Freedom the first week of August 09. Will be arriving at Limon 10am Aug 5th according to the itinery posted on the Carnival website; does that mean 10am local CR time(i.e. the onboard time after time adjustment after leaving Cozumel)?

After reading these posts, I have decided to try out Oscar Brown tours as I want to get a good feel of Costa Rica. We will be taking the canal tour #1, but would want to add on additional activity such as white water rafting, the zip line or even horseback riding. Definitely would want to try some authentic CR cuisine for lunch! At first we thought of adding on the sloth sanctuary trip, but knowing that we prob will be seeing sloths, and hopefully holding one on one of the stops that Oscar makes, I figure we can do something else more fun!

One of my concerns for these two activities at this time of the year is the weather: in the rainy season, the rapids will be faster; does that mean higher "risks"? Same for being up there in the trees on the platforms; don't want to be stuck up there! I guess it would be a hit or miss type of thing with the weather. We have done zip lines before in St. Maarten, so that is not an absolute must do.

We are a family of five ages 54 to 12 going on the Carnival Freedom the first week of August 09. Will be arriving at Limon 10am Aug 5th according to the itinery posted on the Carnival website; does that mean 10am local CR time(i.e. the onboard time after time adjustment after leaving Cozumel)?

After reading these posts, I have decided to try out Oscar Brown tours as I want to get a good feel of Costa Rica. We will be taking the canal tour #1, but would want to add on additional activity such as white water rafting, the zip line or even horseback riding. Definitely would want to try some authentic CR cuisine for lunch! At first we thought of adding on the sloth sanctuary trip, but knowing that we prob will be seeing sloths, and hopefully holding one on one of the stops that Oscar makes, I figure we can do something else more fun!

One of my concerns for these two activities at this time of the year is the weather: in the rainy season, the rapids will be faster; does that mean higher "risks"? Same for being up there in the trees on the platforms; don't want to be stuck up there! I guess it would be a hit or miss type of thing with the weather. We have done zip lines before in St. Maarten, so that is not an absolute must do.

Can't answer you about the white water rafting, but the canal trip should be fine. Email Oscar or Carol about your questions about the currents. I don't think Oscar would put you on a tour if he thought you would have a problem. Saying that when we have white water rafted in the past in the USA they always mentioned the dangers of being on the water.

I've been all through Costa Rica. It is a treasure, especially if you love nature. You will not get a true feel of Costa Rica from the Limon area. Definitely plan to return some time to see the interior, the many Nat. Parks, Pacific side, etc. Do not judge all of C.R. from your experience or impression of Limon.

I recommend rafting. I have rafted during the green season (wet) in C.R., but not in the Limon area. Conditions naturally will depend on the amount of rain fall. All my experiences rafting in C.R. were great, but I did not go after heavy rains. Conditons on the rivers can change quickly which makes planning rafting from a cruise more tentative. Do check the equipment well. Their safety standards are not what we are accustomed to in the US. Plan on it being very HOT and EXTREMELY HUMID in Limon in Aug. and plan for rain what ever you chose to do.

If you've done a zip line, I'd definitely skip it. The ariel tram is a much better choice, if available, to see and experience the forest canopy.

Typical C.R. food is rice and beans with chicken, or fish along the coast. There are several local places to eat along the main street in Limon, a block in from the cruise terminal. O. Brown will probably take you for lunch if you are doing both tours with him. I'd depend on him also for determining the water conditions for rafting.

I just saw the age span for travelers in your group. I don't know if I'd take a 12 yr. old rafting unless he/she has had several white water experiences in the US and knows what to do in an emergency situation. I mentioned the arial tram in an earlier post. If you all want to stick together, I think you would all enjoy the tram. If available, consider it. I know O. Brown did offer it in the Spring. It would give you a nice experience of C.R. The tram lasts about an hour to an hour and half. Each open tram car has a naturalist guide that will be very informative, give some personal accounts, point things out, and answer questions. I think when he does this tour he includes other stops along the way....ask him for a full description. I have never done the tram off a cruise ship so I don't know how long it takes to get there.

Hi all, we were a party of 10 that stopped in Puntarenas, Costa Rica May 16th. 7 of us Ziplined and 3 went along for the tour. We had a great time and Oscar and his wife were there to meet us. We all would highly recommend them.

Som

• 1 month later...
I just saw the age span for travelers in your group. I don't know if I'd take a 12 yr. old rafting unless he/she has had several white water experiences in the US and knows what to do in an emergency situation. I mentioned the arial tram in an earlier post. If you all want to stick together, I think you would all enjoy the tram. If available, consider it. I know O. Brown did offer it in the Spring. It would give you a nice experience of C.R. The tram lasts about an hour to an hour and half. Each open tram car has a naturalist guide that will be very informative, give some personal accounts, point things out, and answer questions. I think when he does this tour he includes other stops along the way....ask him for a full description. I have never done the tram off a cruise ship so I don't know how long it takes to get there.

Thank you for the kind advice, and I would also like to thank Driftwoodgal for hers.

I will be booking with Oscar for the canal tour; but still undecided about the combo tour, mainly because of the rainy season; I presume the boat ride through the canal has covers. Not sure if I like to be caught on the platform during the heavy rains! Still considering horseback riding instead of walk through tour through the forest. Wonder if anyone can give me some feedback on the horseback ride?

Thank you for the kind advice, and I would also like to thank Driftwoodgal for hers.

I will be booking with Oscar for the canal tour; but still undecided about the combo tour, mainly because of the rainy season; I presume the boat ride through the canal has covers. Not sure if I like to be caught on the platform during the heavy rains! Still considering horseback riding instead of walk through tour through the forest. Wonder if anyone can give me some feedback on the horseback ride?

The canal boats have covered tops. People don't change their activities there because it is raining unless it is extremely heavy rain or a storm. The rain is usually not continual. I've kayaked there in the rain as well as most other activities. For me, the humidity is more uncomfortable than the rain.

I did not go horseback riding with Oscar Brown. The horseback riding I did was very tame on a ranch. I had to really work to get the horse moving at times. Near the end of the trail, without warning, the horse took off full speed ahead to the corral, food, and water. It was a 2 hour ride; I had very stiff, sore knees when I got off. Horseback riding is a different experience than a rain forest hike. If you want to see more wildlife, I'd do the hike.

Hi all, we were a party of 10 that stopped in Puntarenas, Costa Rica May 16th. 7 of us Ziplined and 3 went along for the tour. We had a great time and Oscar and his wife were there to meet us. We all would highly recommend them.

Som

We got to meet Oscar's wife on our last tour with him. He was just engaged at the time and was grinning from ear to ear. I don't think they had been engaged very long.

We are in hopes that we get to visity Puntarenas on our next Panama Canal cruise. Of course Oscar will be our choice of tour guides once again.

Glad you had a good time.

The boats also have slickers that you can put on. I would be sure to wear shoes that will dry out or have an extra pair to change to when you get back on the ship. The rain showers come and go, just like they do in New Mexico. Oscar stayed on the phone on our tour dodging the rain by calling ahead.

Our one experience of horseback riding in Colorado was with horses that plodded along and didn't show any signs of life until we were headed back to the barn. Good advice from travelite about being sore from the ride. You will use muscles that you might not have used in awhile.

• 2 months later...

We were in Limon, Costa Rica on Sept 30, and had a great experience with Oscar Brown Tours.

We beat the crowd to Jungle Breezes, so our group of 6 were the first ones on the zip lines that day --- no wait! The facility was well-run, and seemed very safe. They gave full instruction about how to position your body so that you make it easily to the next platform. There were capable, English-speaking guides waiting at each platform to help us get up, and to reconnect our lines. They did all the work --- we just had to zip! Tip: I wish I had been wearing my sunglasses because the wind was in my eyes, which forced me to squint. I'm sure my sunglasses would have stayed on just fine, and I would have enjoyed the rides much more without the winds in my eyes.

Our guide made several stops along the way to pick fruits and cocoa bean for us to see and taste. Nice touch!

We went to a banana plantation, which was far more interesting than I ever could have imagined.

Our guide took us to the front yard of a private home to see a boy and his sloth. We each spent time petting the sloth and taking pictures. I wish I had asked to see more monkeys and other animals, or done more research ahead of time to select a tour that included zip lining AND a chance to see more animals. That little sloth was one of the highlights of the day.

Some members of our group wanted to go to the grocery store and the pharmacy, so we made some stops in the city. We bought 12 oz bags of coffee at the grocery for around $1.50 US each! And it's delicious! (Nice gift idea.) I will say that our guide looked rather nervous as he tried to watch out for all of us in the shops. It was clear he felt responsible for our safety. I'm not sure what the crime situation is there, but as always, it pays to be aware of your surroundings and cautious.

This was our first experience taking a private tour, and it was very positive. Being in a small group in a van looked like much more fun than being part of a huge group on a bus from the ship. Because we had a small group, the guide could be flexible and take us where we wanted to go.

PLEASE --- If you book with one of these operators, and you decide not to take the tour, please have the decency to come off the ship and tell them!!! Our group of 6 waited for over 40 minutes in the very hot sun for 2 people who had signed up, but never showed up. The tour operator felt obliged to wait for them, which meant that we were ALL waiting. Standing in the extreme heat was uncomfortable, and it cut into the time that we had in port.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi...am new to this board thing, but wanted to say we have reservations with Oscar Brown Tours for the zip line adventure....would love someone else to come along. We will be in Puerto Limon December 10 on the Celebrity Infinity. Go to www.Oscarbrowntours.com and check them out. There have been good things posted on this site about him.

Thanks

Hi...am new to this board thing, but wanted to say we have reservations with Oscar Brown Tours for the zip line adventure....would love someone else to come along. We will be in Puerto Limon December 10 on the Celebrity Infinity. Go to www.Oscarbrowntours.com and check them out. There have been good things posted on this site about him.

Thanks

Welcome to CC!

You might try posting this invitation on the Celebrity board and your Meet and Mingle thread.

Have a great trip - the zip lining was the highlight of our cruise.

Thanks

Oscar Brown will fill a van for your tour. You will not be alone on the tour. People are usually friendly on tours. Be out going and friendly and others will welcome your company. O. Brown is a good, reliable tour service....no need to have reservations about going with them. They do not want any issues that will taint their reputation and business.

We used Oscar Brown last weekend, just got back last night. I am still a bit jetlagged and working full time, but here is what I said about him in my notes:

Oct 31, 2009

We had a wonderful tour with Oscar Brown in Limon today. We got off of the ship at 8 and met Oscar and his driver Allan just outside of the gates of the pier. There is some kind of problem going on with the dock workers, union workers, and tour guides. As soon as we got off we were approached by many folks wanting to sell us excursions but once we told them we were with Oscar Brown, they told us where to meet him and pointed us in the right direction. One guy even walked us part way through the shopping area to show us that Oscar was the guy with the white glasses on. Oscar and Allan were so much fun! We had a very nice air conditioned mini van with Allan driving and Oscar commentating. The banter these two had was so funny! They really knew how to joke and to have fun with each other and with us. They were so solicitous of my mom (she uses a cane), and one of them was always helping her in and out of the van and always had a helping hand when we were walking anywhere. First we drove around the city and he showed us some highlights. Then we headed for the country. We stopped at his friend’s house, where there was a male sloth just hanging around the yard. Tina got her first big thrill of the day when she asked to hold him and she picked him up, grinning wildly the whole time. Not for me, thanks, but he was a very interesting animal. Boy did he climb that tree slowly, almost like in slow motion. There was also a setup of native fruits and drinks and Oscar educated us on what each one was, what they are used for, and had us smell and taste (only sometimes!!) some of them.

We headed for the rain forest, where we took a short walk, after Oscar offering all of us fresh fruit to take along. Oscar and Allan once again educated us on all of the different plants. Oscar picked a lot of leaves that he uses for tea…he also picked a bunch of hot peppers (like jalapenos) to take home to his wife (and his 7 children). Oscar has 14 sisters…he is the only boy and the youngest. He said that he was told that when he was born his father partied for months!! Oscar and Allan also picked some different types of fruits to take home. They told us that anything you can pick is free. We saw several different types of birds, but no snakes or anything scary. Oscar noticed that my mom was getting fatigued and we were hot, and he asked Allan to go get the van and come get us. Another nice touch, we never complained and would never have asked him to do that, he did it on his own. Oscar cracked coconuts in half and we got to taste coconut juice.

We went to the Del Monte banana plantation where we watched them process bananas for shipping. It is quite the operation. Allan took us through the working area, explaining the different tasks and what everyone was doing. He took us out to where the banana trees are and explained about mama and dada and grandbaby trees and longevity and how they get the bananas to the processing plant. Trust me, they don’t just pick them.

We went for a drive through the countryside, Oscar showing us Brahma bulls in many fields….some right along with horses. He also showed us some “rich” areas…..”that guy lives in California”, “that guy works on cruise ships”, “that guy is from Florida”….many of them had 5 acres or so immaculately taken care of. The contrast between those homes and the locals was amazing.

We went on a Tortuguero Canal boat ride. Oscar and Allan turned us over to Fernando and his son, who had a small covered boat with 3 rows of seats. Again, it was just my mom and Tina and Rog and I. We headed down the river in search of wildlife. Didn’t see a lot of wildlife….we did see egrets and blue herons and other types of birds. We went by a fisherman who said the fishing was very good that day, he had a boatload full of blue crabs. He had just caught one and he rowed over to us to show it to us. At that time we saw that the bottom of his boat was full of blue crabs that he had already caught. We continued down the river and saw a few homes on the sides, and a Coast Guard Station!! Looked like a bunch of shacks but it was an honest to goodness Coast Guard Station. We had seen them earlier patrolling. Fernando told us that the Colombian drug trade is a big problem here. When we were at the Coast Guard Station he pointed out a big boat that had been caught…the owners are in prison. There were a couple of children out on a dock a bit farther down. They had a rowboat in front of them…the boy was showing us the alligator in the rowboat!! It was a couple of years old I think they said, and Tina got her second big highlight when she got to hold the alligator. There was also a very large turtle. I guess the alligator has been hanging out with them since it was born. We went by what looked like a restaurant that had 4 very large very fancy boats with hard plastic covers on them and fancy painting on the sides. Turns out that those are the boats used for the ship’s shore excursion. All of the passengers were piling on, I’d say at least 60 of them per boat. And here we were in our little boat with our own private tour guide and his son. I have to say that we felt quite superior, even more so when we found out that the ship people paid almost $70 apiece just for the boat ride!! We had so much more and paid so much less!! Their guide had a microphone (trust me, we heard it) and they were all fighting for the outside seats. Our seats were all outside!!

We headed for an Animal Preserve. It is actually a family’s home, and they take in animals that are hurt and rehab them. There was a female sloth that had been hit by a car a week ago. She was pregnant and she had the baby 4 days ago. The mama and baby were doing fine and were so cute! They had them in cages, and I managed a pic of the mom and baby. There were macaws and other types of exotic birds. Tina got another big thrill when she got to hold a couple of birds and have her picture taken with them. There was a peacock running around, lots of wild ducks, and the next door neighbor’s child who was a very cute young man who loved to play with the animals.

We headed for Oscar’s “surprise stop”, which is a beautiful overlook. You can see the ship from there as well as the mountains and the city. There used to be a restaurant that Oscar said he used to take his tours to, but it was sold and has not reopened yet.

II would highly recommend Oscar. He did a great job and we had a wonderful day. The way he treated all of us was fabulous.

We did book this tour as a private tour for the 4 of us, since my mom has limited mobility and we did not want to hold others up. Oscar was happy to arrange this for us...we dealt with his sister Carol for the most part and they were both so very helpful. It cost a bit extra but was well worth it.

• 4 weeks later...

We used Oscar Brown tours last week to do the Zip Line tour #2. It was awesome. He was very nice and kept us safe and reliable. He stopped at a lot of different places and explained all different plants, animals, etc. I would definately use him again.

We took Oscar Brown's #1 and 5 tour last week and ended up with another couple in his cousin Ryan's car. It was a tight, tight fit with three of us in the backseat, and Ryan wasn't the most professional guide (he spent a good 10 minutes badmouting Oscar himself) but the tour was very fun.

Ryan stopped at a friend's house where the guy let us hold a baby monkey. That made my trip. :)

When I read sppunk's comment about the tour last week, I knew that Oscar and his sister would want to know about this. I emailed Carol last night (she had arranged our tour) and received 2 responses from her today. They were very disappointed in Ryan's behavior. She, Oscar, and Ryan had a meeting today to discuss what happened and why it wouldn't be happening again. She was grateful to me for letting her know, and said that in the future he would behave much more professionally. She said that they depend on boards such as this for referrals, so she was happy to be able to address the issue and make sure things would be better in the future!

Archived