Do reviews influence your choice of cruise lines?

HMSDingy

I look for trends. It's also important to take tone into account.

User reviews do matter. If ten people in a row all say, "The ship smelled of week-old shellfish and we were late for every port," that's a big deal and a thing worth knowing. On the other hand, I'm sure we've all read a review from someone with an inflated ego and a big enough sense of entitlement to be a one-person city who thinks the cruise line will NEVER GET [MY] MONEY AGAIN because one busboy didn't smile enough.

People tend to leave little subconscious hints about themselves in their reviews, and so I think it's really important to look at the reviews in aggregate, keeping your eye open for certain key words and catch phrases, but not to give too much weight to any one by itself.

I read reviews, but I don't book or not book a cruise because of any review I may have read. Everyone is different, and just because one person didn't like something about the cruise....it doesn't mean that I will feel the same way. I enjoy trying different cruise lines and different ships within a line. It's all part of the fun of cruising!:D

Although most on this board do share one characteristic, and that is we love cruising. Thats where it ends and we are as diverse people as you are going to find, with lots of different likes and dislikes. Thats why I take the reviews with a grain of salt. Whats important for one may not make a hill of beans for another. As the previous poster stated, if every review seems to be the same (good or bad) then I would take that under serious consideration. Otherwise, I just look for the good reviews about the ship I've already booked and pray.

I take most reviews with a grain of salt...just because someone can have a bad experience, or good, for whatever reason, but each cruise will be different and I tend to like to make up my own mind.

I do agree with what someone said about following trends..if I repeatedly see the same issue come up then yes I would let that concern me some.

I agree about the trends. But I am also open to change. Our last 4 cruises were with Princess, This will be our first with RCI and I did do a bit of homework prior to booking, just in case:rolleyes: .

RCI in general has a good track record and only by sailing on one of her vessels will I be able to truly compare.

I do read the reviews but also pretty much take them with a grain of salt unless it is something very specific. More so for resorts than cruises. Also, I try to remember that the people on these boards are a very, very small % of the number of people who actually cruise. Like others, I watch for trends. But for the most part, we book our cruises way in advance and I know Royal enough to know we will have a great time on whatever ship we choose.

I take more time with land vacations. We have spent weeks in Antigua, SMX, Punta Cana, and next year STT. I spent lots of time reading reviews on various resorts to determine where we wanted to stay. But overall, I pick the one I think fits us the best and go with it. Look at pictures, etc to see what the grounds look like, maintenance and that sort of thing

I take most reviews with a grain of salt...just because someone can have a bad experience, or good, for whatever reason,...

Does anybody besides me wonder why nobody EVER gets labeled a "troll" when their first (or nearly first) post is a fanatically positive gush fest? Why on earth are (completely subjective) positive reviews taken as a matter of fact, when (completely subjective) negative reviews are met with responses that range from dismissive to outright hostile? Wow, it's my absolute least favourite thing about these boards...if anyone can explain the phenomenon, please do.

Happy Sails,

Annette

I read reviews with an open mind.

If I read that a person has a valid complaint and they find a reasonable solution, then I give that review more weight and I think it is very important. I think that the reviews that do list what can go wrong and provide an answer are more valuable to the reader than a glowing report that everything is just fine and dandy.

When the reviewer just wants to vent, those can be tedious to read, especially if the problem was due to the persons lack of knowledge they had access to beforehand. You read about instances where there are rules and regulations spelled out in the cruise contract and the passenger just neglected to read it. What do they expect, that they should receive sympathy for their own errors???

I'm always happy to read a person had a wonderful time :)

Archived