Off Destiny in Miami - Driving to Dream in Port Canaveral

GuitarPlayer

Both the Valor and the Freedom offer an Eastern/Western combo. I am doing a B2B this year on the Freedom. Last year, I did a 7-day Freedom followed by a 7-day Valor. Avoid the stress of re-packing and driving, and choose to stay on the ship. You will have the whole ship to yourself (practically) for at least a few hours.

Joanne

I'm a fan of the Eastern's...I like the white sand beaches, and it seems the weather cooperates better, but maybe I've just been lucky.

I've been to Western...just doesn't "float my boat" as much as the Easterns...

We did self debarkation in Oct. and were called at 7:30 and outside waiting for our friends at 7:45. Good luck! It sounds like a wonderful trip!

Dang! If I could get off at 7:45, that would DEFINITELY be no problem!

Hmmm...I keep tipping the scale back and forth, back and forth. Seems just as many think "No Way" as think "Go for it!"

I'm thinking that if I can get to AVIS by 9am and be on the road even by 10, I think I would have plenty of time...That would leave about an hour and 1/2 to get from AVIS in Cape Canaveral to Port Canaveral to be on the ship by 3pm.

<sigh> :confused:

GP

Dang! If I could get off at 7:45, that would DEFINITELY be no problem!

Hmmm...I keep tipping the scale back and forth, back and forth. Seems just as many think "No Way" as think "Go for it!"

I'm thinking that if I can get to AVIS by 9am and be on the road even by 10, I think I would have plenty of time...That would leave about an hour and 1/2 to get from AVIS in Cape Canaveral to Port Canaveral to be on the ship by 3pm.

<sigh> :confused:

GP

There is a car rental place RIGHT at the entrance to the port.

I think you could make it. We sailed the Freedom in Oct and were off the ship by about 9:00 just leisurely got off, rented a car and were at our front door in Orlando by about 1 ish. I think if you can get early debarkation, take a cab to the car rental place you can definitely make it. Traffic should not really be an issue, listen to the AM stations and if I-95 has a problem get on the Turnpike until about Jupiter and switch back to 95.

There is a car rental place RIGHT at the entrance to the port.

I thought all the car rental "places" near ports were just a bus that took you somewhere else (sort of like most airport locations). I didn't think the "cars" were actually at the port. I could be wrong, but that's what I've come to understand. That being the case, there is an Avis at 1st Ave and 2nd street in downtown Miami. We've flown into FLL, rented a car, drove to Miami, checked into the hotel, drove around a little more, then dropped the car off and walked to the hotel and then caught a cab to the port the next day. All that said, I'm at least familiar with AVIS downtown, and have a "preferred member" card through work, which gets VERY good deals on car rentals through AVIS.

I think I'd opt to pay the 5 or 10 bucks for a cab to the AVIS place, rather than wait 10-30 minutes for the bus to "fill up." A small price to pay to get moving north towards my next cruise! :D

I do appreciate everyone's comments!

GP

I think you could make it. We sailed the Freedom in Oct and were off the ship by about 9:00 just leisurely got off, rented a car and were at our front door in Orlando by about 1 ish. I think if you can get early debarkation, take a cab to the car rental place you can definitely make it. Traffic should not really be an issue, listen to the AM stations and if I-95 has a problem get on the Turnpike until about Jupiter and switch back to 95.

Great news! I love hearing from those who actually have made the drive (or close enough)...

Would using the turnpike be faster/better anyways? A few bucks isn't going to kill me, esp if it saves 10 minutes or better. Is the speed limit faster on the turnpike?

GP

Let us know what you decide...

I'm leaning towards 80% for and 20% against making the drive at this point. I know I'll be cutting it somewhat close, but I don't think it'll be a matter of minutes. I'm thinking I'll have about an hour and a half to spare if everything goes "normal." Perhaps a bit more if everything goes "perfectly" and even if things go bad, then I still have a fairly good chance to make it with 1.5 hours to spare.

I will have trip insurance, but wonder if I-95 traffic or Destiny coming in late causing us to be "late" to check-in qualifies for a claim?

Who, if anyone, at Carnival could/should I contact to ask what I should do if I find myself not quite making the 3pm check-in time? Are they at all lenient, especially if it's due to the Destiny coming in late? I'd like to think I might have a case there, but I would definitely want to research the options ahead of time. It may be the port officials and not the cruise folks that make that sort of call?!?

GP

you have an address or code for the rental location. What car company is it?

Going to be in Miami in January and could be helpful.

Bill

P3F

It is Avis.

This location is not on the port property,its at the entrance to it.You must take their shuttle.

When driving to the port,look for Avis and the port entrance/access road is directly on the Left.

I may be totally dumb...but I'd probably go for it! If you leave the ship at the earliest time possible (self-assist) and head straight to the car rental place with your priority card in hand, you should be in the car by 9am. Then at the port by 1:00pm or so. I agree it's cutting it close, but I still think it's possible. Then again, I like a good rush!

P3F

It is Avis.

This location is not on the port property,its at the entrance to it.You must take their shuttle.

When driving to the port,look for Avis and the port entrance/access road is directly on the Left.

Hmmm...P3F is in Cape Canaveral, not Miami...:confused:

The closest AVIS I know of near Port of Miami is Downtown Miami - M6I

99 Southeast 2nd Street, (at Southeast 1st Avenue), Miami, FL 33131.

Not sure if they have a bus right at the port or not...but this location is literally 5 minutes from the port.

GP

I may be totally dumb...but I'd probably go for it! If you leave the ship at the earliest time possible (self-assist) and head straight to the car rental place with your priority card in hand, you should be in the car by 9am. Then at the port by 1:00pm or so. I agree it's cutting it close, but I still think it's possible. Then again, I like a good rush!

I emailed my PVP yesterday and he emailed back and said that I should be able to make that, no problem. He said he would have his supervisor email the purser on the Dream, to let them know of my situation (but don't know how much weight that will really pull)...

He also suggested taking my Dream tickets to the purser to help persuade them that I *really* am headed to the Dream when I get off, so that should be enough to get "first-off" the ship with self-assist debark.

I'm going for it at this point.

If I miss the ship, I'll just fly to Nassau and catch it there. Not exactly a great way to start, but it *is* an option if everything should go badly.

*THANKS* so much for all the helpful advice, comments, etc. It *is* appreciated, and one of many reasons I love CC!

GP

If I miss the ship, I'll just fly to Nassau and catch it there. Not exactly a great way to start, but it *is* an option if everything should go badly.

GP

One more thought...

Too bad we can't just stay in Nassau for a few days with our luggage and catch the 2nd ship when it comes to town!

GP

One more thought...

Too bad we can't just stay in Nassau for a few days with our luggage and catch the 2nd ship when it comes to town!

GP

Who says you can't? I'll bet if you ask Carnival (and pay for both cruises) that Carnival would let you do this.

Traffic in Miami shouldn't be bad on a Saturday morning. In the 2 months I spent there on business it was mostly the morning and evening rush hours that had backups. We drove back and forth between Miami and my parents house in Jacksonville a few times and by timing it right we never hit traffic.

I think you will be able to make it, especially if you do make it off the boat first.

Archived