fuel surcharge will i get money back ????

sirechonevada89024

Oil has to be below $70 for the 25 trading days prior to the 5th trading day before your cruise. So basically count back 30 trading days from the start of your cruise, which is 6 weeks. Oil was above $70 in that time frame, so you won't see a refund, unfortunately.

This is on the Princess web site:

On October 10, 2008 Carnival Corporation & plc announced that effective October 31, 2008, the existing fuel supplement will be eliminated for all new bookings on 2010 departures for its brands serving the North American market – Carnival Cruise Lines, Costa Cruises, Cunard Line, Holland America Line, Princess Cruises, and the Yachts of Seabourn. At that same time, a price increase on 2010 sailings will become effective. Price increases will vary by individual line. Additionally, we have established specific guidelines under which the current fuel supplement may be reimbursed to our guests for 2008 and 2009 voyages.

For 2008 and 2009 departures, if the price of light sweet crude oil according to the NYMEX (New York Mercantile Exchange Index) is $70 per barrel or less at the 2:30 pm close of business as reported by Reuters on each of the 25 consecutive trading days ending five trading days prior to the guest's cruise departure date, the fuel supplement will be automatically refunded in the form of a shipboard credit.

For clarification purposes, the use of oil prices on NYMEX as reported by Reuters is to establish solid rules for determining refunds. Also, in the time period prior to a cruise departure date, every business day is not necessarily a trading day. Lastly, the five days prior to sailing is to allow our brands the time required to process shipboard credits and to communicate them to the relevant vessels. A shipboard credit is the most efficient way we can return the fuel supplement to our guests. If guests do not use all of the shipboard credit, they can receive the balance after the cruise.

Each departure date will be evaluated independently and any applicable refunds will be automatic. Although guests and travel agents do not need to apply for the credit or track the price of oil per barrel, the websites of our individual cruise lines should indicate if a specific cruise is eligible for a fuel supplement refund.

There's a thread on the Carnival board that suggest the earliest cruise departure date that would be eligible is Dec 4th. It's now 8 days running that oil has been below $70. Carnival Corp has a running tally of oil prices at http://www.worldsleadingcruiselines.com/AboutUs/FuelSupplementUpdate.aspx

Thanks so much for that link, Dan! That's going to be incredibly helpful. One question I have, though -- what precisely are trading days? Every Monday through Friday, I'm sure, but what about Veteran's Day? the day after Thanksgiving? Christmas Eve? That would make a difference to how I'd count back from my cruise . . . (Obviously the people who thought up this cockamamie system were doing so over drinks at happy hour! I mean, could it possibly be any more complicated??)

The text on that page from Carnival Corp says

For clarification purposes, the use of oil prices on NYMEX as reported by Reuters is to establish solid rules for determining refunds. Also, in the time period prior to a cruise departure date, every business day is not necessarily a trading day.

Of course, if it was really for clarification purposes, they would have said what days are a trading day. I wasn't able to find out on the NYMEX website, although I didn't do very indepth research there.

There's a thread on the Carnival board that suggest the earliest cruise departure date that would be eligible is Dec 4th. It's now 8 days running that oil has been below $70. Carnival Corp has a running tally of oil prices at http://www.worldsleadingcruiselines.com/AboutUs/FuelSupplementUpdate.aspx

Thanks for posting that website!

This is on the Princess web site:

On October 10, 2008 Carnival Corporation & plc announced that effective October 31, 2008, the existing fuel supplement will be eliminated for all new bookings on 2010 departures for its brands serving the North American market – Carnival Cruise Lines, Costa Cruises, Cunard Line, Holland America Line, Princess Cruises, and the Yachts of Seabourn. At that same time, a price increase on 2010 sailings will become effective. Price increases will vary by individual line. Additionally, we have established specific guidelines under which the current fuel supplement may be reimbursed to our guests for 2008 and 2009 voyages.

For 2008 and 2009 departures, if the price of light sweet crude oil according to the NYMEX (New York Mercantile Exchange Index) is $70 per barrel or less at the 2:30 pm close of business as reported by Reuters on each of the 25 consecutive trading days ending five trading days prior to the guest's cruise departure date, the fuel supplement will be automatically refunded in the form of a shipboard credit.

For clarification purposes, the use of oil prices on NYMEX as reported by Reuters is to establish solid rules for determining refunds. Also, in the time period prior to a cruise departure date, every business day is not necessarily a trading day. Lastly, the five days prior to sailing is to allow our brands the time required to process shipboard credits and to communicate them to the relevant vessels. A shipboard credit is the most efficient way we can return the fuel supplement to our guests. If guests do not use all of the shipboard credit, they can receive the balance after the cruise.

Each departure date will be evaluated independently and any applicable refunds will be automatic. Although guests and travel agents do not need to apply for the credit or track the price of oil per barrel, the websites of our individual cruise lines should indicate if a specific cruise is eligible for a fuel supplement refund.

"$70 or less for EACH of 25 consecutive days....." Sounds like This wording was developed to keep surcharges even if the average price was clearly below $70. If it is below $70 when I cruise I have decided to reduce my auto tips to compensate me.

CCL is going to upset passengers, upset crew or both. Charging a fuel surcharge when none is warranted is deplorable IMO.

The text on that page from Carnival Corp says

Of course, if it was really for clarification purposes, they would have said what days are a trading day. I wasn't able to find out on the NYMEX website, although I didn't do very indepth research there.

Oh, thanks -- sorry, guess I should have read the whole page, but all that tiny print was giving me a nascent migraine. And can I just say to CCL, congrats -- way to complicate it even more than it already was. So there's really no way for us to track it ourselves then, unless we're buddies with an oil trader. I guess now we'll all wait not only for the Upgrade Fairy but also for the Light Sweet Crude Fairy (and there's a lovely mental picture for ya!).

Oh, thanks -- sorry, guess I should have read the whole page, but all that tiny print was giving me a nascent migraine. And can I just say to CCL, congrats -- way to complicate it even more than it already was. So there's really no way for us to track it ourselves then, unless we're buddies with an oil trader. I guess now we'll all wait not only for the Upgrade Fairy but also for the Light Sweet Crude Fairy (and there's a lovely mental picture for ya!).

Someone posted this site the other day (I think credit goes to Dan if I remember correctly). Easy to keep track here: http://www.worldsleadingcruiselines.com/AboutUs/FuelSupplementUpdate.aspx

"$70 or less for EACH of 25 consecutive days....." Sounds like This wording was developed to keep surcharges even if the average price was clearly below $70. If it is below $70 when I cruise I have decided to reduce my auto tips to compensate me.

CCL is going to upset passengers, upset crew or both. Charging a fuel surcharge when none is warranted is deplorable IMO.

Taking money away from hard-working people who have no control over the price of fuel is deplorable IMO.

If you do reduce your tips, I hope you'll be ethical enough to tell your steward and servers upfront that you are making this political statement so that they don't feel it is a reflection on their service.

Taking money away from hard-working people who have no control over the price of fuel is deplorable IMO.

If you do reduce your tips, I hope you'll be ethical enough to tell your steward and servers upfront that you are making this political statement so that they don't feel it is a reflection on their service.

Political statement?????? What political statement?

CCL has to make sure the crew is compensated. If lots of us reduce the auto tips based on the disgusting way CCL is handling a fuel surcharge when none is warranted then CCL will have to provide a bonus for the crew or loose crew members.

Someone posted this site the other day (I think credit goes to Dan if I remember correctly). Easy to keep track here: http://www.worldsleadingcruiselines.com/AboutUs/FuelSupplementUpdate.aspx

Yes, it was Dan -- I was thanking him for so doing, when he pointed out that the site also distinguishes between "business days" and "trading days" not being the same thing. So it's unclear even on that site whether the days it lists prices for are actually "trading days" -- which is what matters for purposes of the calculations. I love the smell of hair-splitting in the morning . . .

And to the person who's going to make the crew suffer because your knickers are in a twist about Princess's policies -- that's some nice ethical behaviour you got going on. If you really want to protest, then cancel your cruise/don't book any more with them. But don't punish people who had absolutely nothing to do with policymaking. That's like cussing out an IRS receptionist because you think your taxes are too high: rude and pointless. And selfish.

What is more deplorable is your intention of punishing the hard working crew due to your disagreement. :( :mad:

Yes, it was Dan -- I was thanking him for so doing, when he pointed out that the site also distinguishes between "business days" and "trading days" not being the same thing. So it's unclear even on that site whether the days it lists prices for are actually "trading days" -- which is what matters for purposes of the calculations. I love the smell of hair-splitting in the morning . . .

Credit goes to the person on the Carnival board who pointed that site out a couple days ago.

Anyway, I think (although I am simply a consumer of oil products, not a trader in oil), that if there is a posted price for a particular day, then that is a trading day. But I stand to be wrong too.

Also, on Carnival's website (the cruise line, not the mother corp) they have a page that will list any cruises that qualify for a refund of the fuel surcharge. Obviously there is nothing listed there as yet. Hopefully when that happy day arrives, Princess will consider putting up that info on their website so that people will be able to tell if their cruise qualifies.

Political statement?????? What political statement?

CCL has to make sure the crew is compensated. If lots of us reduce the auto tips based on the disgusting way CCL is handling a fuel surcharge when none is warranted then CCL will have to provide a bonus for the crew or loose crew members.

You seem to have the word "political" confused with the upcoming elections. As you describe aptly in your second paragraph, the word actually means "the process by which groups of people make decisions."

My point is if you're removing the auto tips for any reason other than substandard service, I think you're obligated to let the people you're hurting know why. If you don't let them know--how will you make your point?

Having people like you(cheap) screw the crew over with less tips is deplorable. IMO of course.

Archived