NO more Carrying on Soda or Water?

Kathylovescruises

so did the old policy...

the policy is..no, you can't...this way they can control it when or if they want to. (or check the seals for alcohol)

BUT, as long as you don't get crazy about it, you can carry water/soda right on...right through the x-ray and security and no one will say a word about it. many people just stick a tag on a case of water and it gets to their cabin.

now with that said, the water on the ship is (usually) better then the bottled water. we take a sippy bottle and fill it from the water at the buffet's self serve area. (don't put the bottle under the spout, use a glass to fill from) the tap water is great. when at dinner, when they ask if you want water...ask for tap, bottle water is $.

Jsut read a response to a post about a wine list. Said that the new NCL policy prohibits carrying on soda or water. Is this true?

Thanks

Kathy

If this is a new "new" policy, the ink isn't dry yet. There was no problem on our October 12-19th Dawn cruise.

Please provide a link to this "new policy". Often these posts are just a rumor or misunderstanding.

The policy has always been - NO WAY. In reality, people do it all the time. If you call and ask NCL Customer Service, they will say no.

Read more about sailing with NCL here

I don't think it's a new policy; it's the same old policy that the NCL phone reps have been reciting all along.

For what it's worth, NCL's reps routinely tell callers that passengers are not allowed to take soda or bottled water onboard. This is apparently the official customer service answer. However, there is nothing in NCL's published material (online or printed) that prohibits soda or bottled water (in any quantity). The real-world answer is that there has only been 1 report (EVER) on CC that I have seen that there's been a problem with this (and there was a debate concerning the validity of that one report). I myself have never had a problem taking soda onboard.

Please, everybody...stop calling NCL concerning this issue. They may eventually decide to make the policy actually official and start enforcing it.

I don't think it's a new policy; it's the same old policy that the NCL phone reps have been reciting all along.

For what it's worth, NCL's reps routinely tell callers that passengers are not allowed to take soda or bottled water onboard. This is apparently the official customer service answer. However, there is nothing in NCL's published material (online or printed) that prohibits soda or bottled water (in any quantity). The real-world answer is that there has only been 1 report (EVER) on CC that I have seen that there's been a problem with this (and there was a debate concerning the validity of that one report). I myself have never had a problem taking soda onboard.

Please, everybody...stop calling NCL concerning this issue. They may eventually decide to make the policy actually official and start enforcing it.

True, it is like the old liquor policy, all lines have the same policy as to bringing booze on ship: it is not allowed, but for years, even NCL did not enforce the policy. Now several lines are doing it.

Nita

True, it is like the old liquor policy, all lines have the same policy as to bringing booze on ship: it is not allowed, but for years, even NCL did not enforce the policy. Now several lines are doing it. I think it boils down to flauting or taking advantage of a good thing. No one will say much about a couple of 6 packs of soda or water, but when people bring on (and I have seen this) cases of both the lines are going to crack down. I don't know if I blame them.

Nita

soaper

Cool Cruiser

Pearl Wine List

You can send a request for the Pearl wine list to groupeventpearl@ncl.com. They responded to me very quickly just 2 days ago. You'll see they have a decent variety and price points. However, I plan on bringing my own and paying the $15 corkage as I'll get what I want and it will still be cheaper.........not to mention they don't offer any Port!! Many recommend bringing half magnums as the corkage is often the same, but obviously that limits your vintage options. I know folks who have smuggled wine on other lines, but it seems NCL is pretty diligent. Also, when I spoke to NCL the other day, they indicated their new policy also now bans bringing soda and water aboard.

This is where I read it

Kath

This is what it says on the NCL website:

"What can't I bring onboard?

Passenger is not allowed to bring on board the vessel without the previous written permission of the Carrier any intoxicating liquors, or beverages, firearms, weapons of any kind, ammunition, explosive substances or any goods of a dangerous nature, nor animals of any kind, except service or guide animals, provided the passenger notifies Carrier prior to the cruise of his intention to bring such animal and agrees to take sole responsibility for any expense, damage, injuries or losses associated with or caused by such animal."

It is my understanding that water and soft drinks are never a problem and they don't confiscate them. If you have them inside a suitcase you may have to go the security room and open the suitcase so they can see it's not alcohol.

I haven't seen any new rules posted about such things on the website.

Thomas

soaper

Cool Cruiser

Pearl Wine List

You can send a request for the Pearl wine list to groupeventpearl@ncl.com. They responded to me very quickly just 2 days ago. You'll see they have a decent variety and price points. However, I plan on bringing my own and paying the $15 corkage as I'll get what I want and it will still be cheaper.........not to mention they don't offer any Port!! Many recommend bringing half magnums as the corkage is often the same, but obviously that limits your vintage options. I know folks who have smuggled wine on other lines, but it seems NCL is pretty diligent. Also, when I spoke to NCL the other day, they indicated their new policy also now bans bringing soda and water aboard.

This is where I read it

Kath

Yes, I read that post after you referred to it initially. I still don't think it's a new policy, just a restatement of what they have always told people who ask. That said, I don't think they will enforce it but you never know. They may start enforcing it if passengers, as Nita said, start to abuse the privilege by bringing onboard cases and cases of the stuff.

I also believe this is restatement of their old policy. I can understand bringing your own personal brand of soda onboard, or maybe flavored water. I do not understand bringing bottled water though. Way too much hassle for something that is free onboard. Let me make that clear. NCL will SELL you bottled water if you want it. Or you can just refill the empty bottles you brought with you using the very good water coming from the ships water system.

It's not a new policy. They've always said no pop/water. In fact, on our last cruise in Jan. we brought a cooler full of soda. Our last name was paged right at the beginning of the sail away party. DH went down to the main desk and asked what the page was for. The woman said, there's a cooler that we need to see what's inside. DH said it was only pop. She said that's not allowed. After he went into the naughty room, he was given the soda to take back to the cabin, no problem.

Nita is right. If we keep bugging NCL about these things, they're going to stop being lenient.

Take your pop and water. You'll get it on, and if not.. no biggie.

Archived