Suites on Princess

BalconyBumz

Upon embarkation, DH called for advanced reservations at Sabatini's, no problem with that, however, when we requested a specific time for anytime dining, we were told to take that up at the dining room. There, the maitre d' simply handed us a beeper. So, we headed to Vines every night to wait for a table. I'm sure it was partly due to the high personnel change over on the ship as there were a number of minor glitches on our cruise. Our room steward, though very efficient, had a pager that did not work.

When I went to Guest Relations and inquired why we were not receiving a number of suite amenities, I was told they were not aware of any of the things I requested. In frustration, I stopped by the Internet Cafe [luckily it was working] and went to the Princess web site to print a list for Guest Relations. Handing the list to them was like a comedy routine and enjoyed by those in line for assistance as I was asked where I got the list. About twenty minutes later, I went back to our room, and found flowers, champagne, canapes, key card holders, extra laundry bags, tote bag, wine list & dining menus, DVD list, etc., and the room service manager! Oh, this was on day 5 of the cruise. The following morning, our steward thanked me for getting him a pager that worked.

This was not our first Princess cruise, and will not be our last. Simply have to adjust expectations from time to time. Of course, we are heading to FL this weekend for the Solstice inaugural which will be a fun time.

Darcy

Darcy, I am amazed at what you found onboard in your suite, or should I say didn't find? Now I don't blame you for being upset, as I would be also, if I didn't receive the suite amenities as advertised.

We have not had any problems having everything ready and waiting for us when we got to our suite before. That had to be quite frustrating, to say the least. Sorry they gave you such a difficult time with this!

We have been lucky enough to stay in the Grand Suite on the Grand, Star, Golden and the Sapphire Princess. Have also had the PH Suite a couple of times along with a VS Suite a couple of times also. We were upgraded once and that was all it took. Love having the extra room and the perks that go along with the full suite.

Here are a couple of links to our pictures of some of the different cabins. Hope this helps to show how they look.

This is the Grand Suite on the Grand Princess. This ship actually has 2 GS Suites and truly they just aren't as nice as those on the other ships. This Suite is around 750 sq ft. I didn't care for the balcony at all. We hardly used it on this cruise. If I had to do it over again on this ship, I much prefer the PH Suites.

http://travel.webshots.com/album/549354730ECCdXE

This a our shots of the Grand Suite on the Sapphire Princess. It is much larger than the one on the Grand Princess and so much nicer.

http://family.webshots.com/album/549360351LFqUcp

This is the Grand Suite on the Star Princess. It is basically the same as the Sapphire and the Golden Princess.

http://travel.webshots.com/album/556691557KYpgMY

This is the link to our first PH Suite on the Grand Princess. My husband takes the pictures and I have no idea where he has the other suite pictures we have, so sorry there aren't many of this suite. But this is the one that spoiled us.

http://family.webshots.com/album/70697097XFEkmj

It is so hard to go to a smaller cabin once you have these larger suites. I agree with Toto that I've never seen the price of the full suites reduced either. At least not in the past 5 years. It used to be that these were always the last cabins to actually fill and Princess would upgrade people. Now it seems like these cabins book quicker.

Hope the pictures help to show some of the differences.

I can't speak to the GS (as Hulagirl did) but one the reasons my family likes sailing Princess in a PH is that they allow TA's to discount on all cabins and especially Suites

While I can't speak about upgrades and discounts for last minute sailings on the last two cruises on the Coral and The Star - (both in mid-ship PH Suites) by using a TA we saved more than $1,000 USD (each sailing) on

the cabins

Ditto on the NCL Courtyard

Once you are choosing a mass market cruise - it's just another big reason for sailing with Princess or NCL in a suite and not X-HAL or RCI

jc

Toronto

Leaving for NCL POA in a month

... but one the reasons my family likes sailing Princess in a PH is that they allow TA's to discount on all cabins and especially Suites

How long out? We've always booked 6mos out and our TA always tells us there's no discounts (Diamond 9/06 and Ruby 11/08, but that one I can somewhat understand) available for PH-class staterooms, and I think she's been pretty honest and genuine with us. Are these "guarantee-cabin" bookings or "exact-cabin" (I don't know the real term) bookings?

(At least this time I was eligible for the AmEx perqs ($300 OBC in my room, and a 2-class upgrade to our relatives' cabin.))

I apologize if it seems like a boast but I've NEVER paid Princess Pricing for any Suite (nor NCL)

X - or Silverseas yes - I think generally they do not discount period

Do a test next time - get a price from your TA and get a competing price

from both one-line at princess AND another TA

If price is your issue - it's maybe time to switch TA's - however keep in mind IMO a good TA is worth a paying little higher price (I stress little)

I just looked a Royal Princess OA suite for a Europe Middle east cruise and compared it to an on-line price and indeed the price difference made me faint (why anyone would buy this direct from the cruiseline I have no idea)

You always lose a little service buying on-line but IMO on both NCL and Princess the $$$ to be saved on PH or OA or VS Suites is ALOT and worth the service drop - especially if you consider the Princess.com website is really really great - as it lets you book spa appt's on line - etc - it answers alot of one's questions

Hope this info helps

jc

Toronto

Princess Coral May 08

NCL POA Dec 08

I wonder if the discounts are related to the number of suites left, somewhat like supply-and-demand airline pricing? I've tried to snag the OS/GS on every trip I've booked and it's been long gone, which makes me wonder if 6mos out is too close. I just don't have any idea any further out what I'll be doing and can get away.

But no, we do like our TA and I don't feel taken, but I will check for an online price anyway next time (she works for AAA so her hands may be tied WRT prices after all). IIRC I did look around the time I'd booked my Diamond trip and didn't see any difference.

Thanks for the heads-up, though.

I can't speak to the GS (as Hulagirl did) but one the reasons my family likes sailing Princess in a PH is that they allow TA's to discount on all cabins and especially Suites

While I can't speak about upgrades and discounts for last minute sailings on the last two cruises on the Coral and The Star - (both in mid-ship PH Suites) by using a TA we saved more than $1,000 USD (each sailing) on

the cabins

Ditto on the NCL Courtyard

Once you are choosing a mass market cruise - it's just another big reason for sailing with Princess or NCL in a suite and not X-HAL or RCI

jc

Toronto

Leaving for NCL POA in a month

Same here, on our upcoming cruise on the Grand, our PH suite was more than $1000 less booked through a TA then what Princess was charging me with my captains circle status. That took care of the airfare and a lot more.

Also, on our Pacific Princess cruise next year, the OS we booked through the same TA saved us again well over $1000 from Princess pricing.

Hulagirl, Yep, looked at the Grand Suite on this upcoming Grand Princess sailing. Huge difference between it and the one we visited on the Star Princess. Not worth the extra price IMHO, I will stick with the PH suite. ;)

Toto: I agree about the GS on the Grand Princess. That is the only ship there are 2 of them and they layout is really not worth the extra price. Now that said, when we had the cabin it was wonderful, we thought, until we had the GS on one of the newer ships. So much bigger and nicer. Also the Grand didn't have a computer in the cabin like the other ships have.

My TA does discount her commission to get the better price for the full suites. That really does help. When my other TA worked for AAA she was never able to discount much at all. The new agency she is now with it is the same thing. Hence, I've gone to someone I adore who does give me much better rates. It is hard to pay full fare when you can get a good discount somewhere else. I've never seen the rates go down on the Princess site though for full suites, only mini suites and lower categories.

Looking forward to our PH Suite for the Emerald at Christmas and we have the GS booked for our 14 day cruise on the Golden to Hawaii this March. It will be so nice to have that large cabin again. Love sitting out there watching the wake knowing I don't have to do a thing other than relax.

Have great cruises everyone!

Help! I need some advice! We have a PS, B104, booked on the Diamond this January. It is in the very front of the ship! The room is 706 sq. ft, and the balcony is 42' 8"x 9'2". (HUGE!) There is a PS available at the back of the ship. 525 sq. ft. and the balcony is 18' x 8'11". So the forward suite is much bigger! However, with the wind at the front of the ship, is it worth giving up the extra big cabin to avoid being blown away and possibly not being able to enjoy our balcony? From some of the previous comments on this thread, it sounds like wind usually is not much an issue at the back of the ship! Any input, advice, or opinions would be greatly appreciated! I want to decide before the aft cabin is gone!

Thanks!

Help! I need some advice! We have a PS, B104, booked on the Diamond this January. It is in the very front of the ship! The room is 706 sq. ft, and the balcony is 42' 8"x 9'2". (HUGE!) There is a PS available at the back of the ship. 525 sq. ft. and the balcony is 18' x 8'11". So the forward suite is much bigger! However, with the wind at the front of the ship, is it worth giving up the extra big cabin to avoid being blown away and possibly not being able to enjoy our balcony? From some of the previous comments on this thread, it sounds like wind usually is not much an issue at the back of the ship! Any input, advice, or opinions would be greatly appreciated! I want to decide before the aft cabin is gone!

Thanks!

A huge balcony is wonderful, IF you can use it all of the time. But if the wind it too strong, no matter how large it is, and you can't enjoy it, what use is all that extra sq footage?

Personally, if it were me, I would stick to the aft as you can be confident that wind will not be an issue.

Thanks!

WHERE is this cruise too? That could make a difference.

Thanks!

I originally had this cabin booked for next year but after advice received on these boards have changed it to a midship ph category. Don't forget the 706 sq ft includes the balcony so it is not as big as it appears. Also the suite is a different layout to other suites on the ship. It is two separate rooms which according to some cruisers makes it feel less spacious. The bathroom is also different to the other suites. It is the same as a mini suite bathroom. In the other suites you get a jacuzzi bath, separate shower cubicle and the toilet and sink are separated by a door so that someone can be using the toilet privately while someone else is in the shower or bath.

I have been told on this forum that they lock off the front part of the balcony while the ship is at sea because of wind so you are left with a small part to the side. Some people say that they did not have a problem with wind but I decided not to risk it as we have 10 sea days on our cruise and spend a lot of time on the balcony. Also I have been told that as you are at the front of the ship curtains/drapes have to be closed after dark. I think the wind issue probably has a lot to do with itinerary.

If you decide to stick with it the view will be phenomenal!

We did an owners suite in front on our cruise in 07. We overlooked crew members and wires etc. We have also done aft cabins. We are booked in a PS aft next spring.

My preference is aft because you overlook nothing but the beautiful ocean wake:) Just my opinion.

Andrea

We did an owners suite in front on our cruise in 07. We overlooked crew members and wires etc. We have also done aft cabins. We are booked in a PS aft next spring.

My preference is aft because you overlook nothing but the beautiful ocean wake:) Just my opinion.

Andrea

Could NOT agree more.

Thank you all for all of your replies. As it turns out, I ended up calling Princess last night and changing it to the aft. It is C752 (on the Diamond) from Austraila to New Zealand. This is the first chance I've had to get back on CC since I changed it. But all of your comments convinced me we did the right thing!!! First of all, crossing the Tasmania Sea could be rough, and I also had heard that they close off part of the balcony. The girl I talked to at Princess, who was very helpful, gave me all the dimensions, and you're right delondin, the bathroom wasn't as big, nor does it have a jacuzi tub. I didn't know about closing the curtains at night. That clenches my decision! What good is a balcony if you can't enjoy it? And you're right Andrea, what could be more beautiful than drinking your morning coffee while watching the ocean wake!!! I knew I could count on my CC buddies to help me!

Hi

Just wondering if there are restrictions on the laundry service? We shall be travelling with a 1 yr old and coming from Europe we are restricted by luggage allowances. We would expect to use the complimentaty laundry quite a bit. Also, is pressing included in the free laundry?

We have had a royal suite on X Galaxy, both around the same size, however I am slightly worried that the Diamond has a curtain seperating the bedroom, we are hoping to be able to let the baby sleep in the bedroom for his naps and not disturb him, does anyone who has had a PS suite have any views on this?

Thanks

Mark.

On the Golden Princess, what are the perks you get in a PH suite? According to the Princess website some of the amenities are available only on specific ships.

A PH suite on any Princess ship is considered a full suite getting all the amenities awarded to them. What they men by "available on specific ships" is that not all ships have the thermal suite and the hydropool such as the Golden Princess. Not sure if it will be refitted for this once it goes into drydock next April...

Full suites are Vista Suites(VS), Premium Suites(PS), Penthouse Suites(PH), Owner Suites(OS), and Grand Suites (GS). Mini-suites are in their own category only getting a few extras plus the extra room compared to a balcony room.

Hope that clears up any confusion..:)

There are only a couple of things that I know of that are not available on every ship. One is as mentioned, the thermal suite access, and the second is Dry Cleaning on the small ships in the fleet.

Other than that, the list on Princess pretty much covers all of the amenities you will receive when booking a full suite on any of the ships.

Enjoy!

Hi

Just wondering if there are restrictions on the laundry service? We shall be travelling with a 1 yr old and coming from Europe we are restricted by luggage allowances. We would expect to use the complimentaty laundry quite a bit. Also, is pressing included in the free laundry?

We have had a royal suite on X Galaxy, both around the same size, however I am slightly worried that the Diamond has a curtain seperating the bedroom, we are hoping to be able to let the baby sleep in the bedroom for his naps and not disturb him, does anyone who has had a PS suite have any views on this?

No restrictions on the laundry, you are free to use as desired.

Yes, in Princess suites (VS, PS, PH) there is only very heavy drape separating the sleeping area from the sitting area.

Mike:)

There are only a couple of things that I know of that are not available on every ship. One is as mentioned, the thermal suite access, and the second is Dry Cleaning on the small ships in the fleet.

Other than that, the list on Princess pretty much covers all of the amenities you will receive when booking a full suite on any of the ships.

Enjoy!

Is dry cleaning available on Pacific?

Archived