Which Cruise Would You Choose (I Have To)

dgwags

The 1st is a 9 day cruise in the highest Inside Cabin category visiting San Juan, St. Thomas, Samana and a private island. The total cost is $2,755.

The 2nd is a 7 day cruise in the Balcony Guarantee category visiting Grand Turk, Freeport and a private island. The total cost is $2,335.

Now the cost isn't a factor, just wondering if a balcony is worth more then the extra 2 days or if the 2 extra days are the better choice over a balcony.

Thanks everyone, have a nice day.

The 1st is a 9 day cruise in the highest Inside Cabin category visiting San Juan, St. Thomas, Samana and a private island. The total cost is $2,755.

The 2nd is a 7 day cruise in the Balcony Guarantee category visiting Grand Turk, Freeport and a private island. The total cost is $2,335.

Now the cost isn't a factor, just wondering if a balcony is worth more then the extra 2 days or if the 2 extra days are the better choice over a balcony.

.....but I would take a balcony over an inside room anytime.

:)

wasiii

What choice you make depends on different factors. The nine day cruise gives you an extra port of call. Is the extra stop worth it. You don't mention which ship is going. Maybe the class of ship on one of the cruises is your favorite. I always like going to Grand Bahama Island (Freeport is the port). Grand Turk I've never been to and my wife always likes the private island.

I've been to San Juan twice and its nothing special. St. Thomas has some stores if you like shopping. My wife always likes the private island again.

If you like the beach either of those trips would be good. I've found that going to The Carribean and/or Bahamas is more beach oriented. If you go to Canada it's more tourist centered and not so much beach.

Either of those trips sounds good. As I mentioned the class of ship may play a part in your choice. Personally, I prefer the second choice, but, the final choice is yours.

Having just visited 2 of the ports you list, I would add that I wasn't that taken with St. Thomas (maybe because of the yucky weather we had - Hurricane Omar was forming) and very pleased with the addition of Grand Turk.

However, not sure when your dates are, and Grand Turk is still not 100% operational as Ike hit them hard. It's not bad in the pier area and I really enjoyed our snorkel/ray excursion but not all excursions are back up. Fellow passengers said the town is still in pretty bad shape.

My family of 4 have sailed in a balcony and inside (on the lowest deck even) and we would take the extra days on board!!!

The more we cruise, the more we realize that it's not about the cabin...it's about being on the ship.

My advice would be to book a 4A and save even more money.

Most of you would vote for the extra 2 days, NOT ME! Total balcony snob here, and the things I do remember most fondly about a cruise are stepping out onto the balcony first thing in the morning at a new port, wine with DH at sunset and of course re-newing membership to the balcony club every cruise. I have cruised in insides and oceanviews, but will hesitate to ever again book without a balcony. If you really need or want the extra 2 or 3 days vacation, just stay a few extra nights pre or post cruise where ever you are cruising from. IMHO it adds a nice relaxing time to your vacation, I especially like to spend a couple of nights in San Juan if we are cruising out of there, but South Beach or New Orleans are also fun places to plan a cruise extension.

Have fun!

I wouldn't ever book a 7 day or more without a balcony. We truly enjoy ours, and it makes the cruise for us.

We've had to do shorter cruises without (simply because there are no balcony rooms except for the pricey suites) and I enjoy the cruise but it isn't the same experience at all.

We sailed with an ocean view for our first cruise and have had a balcony on the rest. We are booked for our tenth cruise in February. I always wake up before my wife and enjoy going onto the balcony and enjoying the breeze and read until she wakes. We always order breakfast for the morning and enjoy breakfast on the balcony.

dpfred

A balcony, or even a better room, adds to the enjoyment of a cruise. And when you have a better room, you don't feel the need to run elsewhere. When you have that balcony, it's you and the sea.........when you want it.

Why not price the balcony for the 9 days!

Just off the top of my head, I would say go for the longer cruise. Why? Because you are on vacation for 2 more days! We have gone on 8 cruises and have 1 booked for February. We have stayed in standard inside rooms, deluxe insides, oceanview rooms, obstructed balcony, and we have had a family suite on Disney and a Junior Suite on RCCI- Mariner. We loved them all! Seriously.

We have stayed in an inside room after we stayed in a suite. We just love to cruise and we do it however and whenever we can.

If this is more of a "honeymoon" cruise and you plan on just "hanging" in your room more, you might want to do the 7 night balcony but if you are going to just really enjoy the actual cruise, boom the 9 day.

Ports don't really make or break a cruise for me. I get off the ship, if we find we enjoy the island, we make a day or it.... if the island isn't for us, back on the ship to enjoy the spa or whatever we want.

Weather is also a factor. If its raining and just foul weather, you might be glad you have that balcony you can go outside and just read or whatever.

Whichever you decide, go and have a good time. After all, you are on a cruise :]

I ADORE the balcony but perhaps if you don't want the expense you could get the rooms with the French doors -not a balcony but fresh air at least

2 days is always better so this way you get the best of both worlds

I do splurge and try to ALways get a balcony .I love breaKFAST FROM ROOM SERVICE outdoors WHILE EVERYONE IS SLEEPING

nOTHING LIKE SIPPING MY COOFEE OVERLOOKING THE cARIBBEAN !!!

yOUR DECISION

Hi everyone, thanks for your responses. Here's more info, the reason I didn't want to put it in before is because it's 2 different lines and I didn't want that to influence your decisions, it doesn't ours.

The 9 day Inside is:

Grandeur of the Seas

30 Jul Baltimore 4pm

31 Jul At Sea

1 Aug At Sea

2 Aug San Juan 2pm-11pm

3 Aug St. Thomas 7am-5pm

4 Aug Samana 9am-6pm

5 Aug Labadee 8am-5pm

6 Aug At Sea

7 Aug At Sea

8 Aug Baltimore 7Am

The 7 day Balcony is:

Carnival Pride

31 Jul Baltimore 5:30pm

1 Aug At Sea

2 Aug At Sea

3 Aug Grand Turk 7am-3pm

4 Aug Half Moon Cay 9am-5pm

5 Aug Freeport 7am-3pm

6 Aug At Sea

7 Aug Baltimore 10am

Hope this helps and again, Thanks. If this was going from Inside to Inside or Balcony to Balcony it'd be no choice, we'd take the 9 day but, it's from Inside to Balcony.

Those who've suggested checking on a balcony for the 9 day we have and that is a price issue for us.

Debbie and Dave

We have cruised before on CCL, RCCL and X. Inside and OV cabins.

Hi everyone, thanks for your responses. Here's more info, the reason I didn't want to put it in before is because it's 2 different lines and I didn't want that to influence your decisions, it doesn't ours.

Since you also posted this question on the RCL boards, that kinda gave it away that at least one cruise was probably RCL.

Me, I want to be diamond on RCL. If for the same money I could get a cruise credit on Carnival or RCL, Id pick RCL, without a doubt. The rest wouldnt matter. I want to get into the consierge lounge for those free drinks at night and have those diamond perks, like $200 off a balcony. The gifts in the cabin are nice, but they dont sway me as much as the other two I mentioned. I hate being closed out of the consierge lounge on RCL ships.

So, even though it wouldnt influence you, if you are asking us what we would choose, Id choose RCL and get the extra cruise point.

Also, the RCL cruise has some ports I havent been to.

Wow, that is truly a tough one! I've had inside and oceanview and LOVED oceanview a lot more than inside, so I'm sure I would love a balcony.

However, 2 extra days might be worth going back to inside.

As much as I loved the Pride (beautiful ship, and Spirit class is my very favorite.....great, easy layout and never feels crowded), you are getting longer times in port on the RCCL cruise, plus one more port than the Pride.

I think I would almost be leaning more towards the 9 day cruise. Have you checked out the price of an OV guarantee on that cruise? If you could get at least an oceanview cabin, I would say go for it!

Good luck! Both cruises sound wonderful. :)

Archived