New York Hotel

nadeki

I am sure this has been here before but I did not pay attention.

Does anyone have a great idea where to stay in New York before the cruise? We have not yet booked air so I am not sure which airport we will go to. Thanks

You can stay pretty much anywhere in Manhattan, but if you want to be near closer to where the ship comes and goes, the Times Square area would be great. We actually walked from the Ship over to Times Square during a Back to Back cruise once.

You might want to visit the PORTS OF CALL boards for more information on NYC.

We stayed at the Marriott Marquis in the Times Square area and it was just beautiful. Were given a corner king with an absolutely perfect view of Times Square. The hotel has a revolving rooftop restaurant - The View - that was great - and it was beautiful at night!

We ended up staying near JFK for our pre-cruise hotel stay, as the prices for NYC were at least double. We were getting in late enough that we wouldn't have wanted to do any sightseeing anyway, and I couldn't justify the extra cost just for the hotel. If you don't have time to do any sightseeing and are flying into JFK, the Fairfield Inn was a great choice.

Post-cruise, we were able to get a fairly "good" price (for NYC) at the Michelangelo hotel. It's near Times Square, on 53rd and 7th avenue, as well as being close to the Rockefellar Center. It was a wonderful little hotel, but I definitely wouldn't pay the $700 they want for my friend's trip to NYC next year.

Thanks everyone for your help. I keep getting little "signs" that this trip was meant to be. I was looking at the Marriot Marquis for our hotel. Now it is all settled. Just need to tell my hubby someday I have booked this trip. LOL

nadeki - You'll LOVE it !!! :-)

If you decide to have dinner at "The View" - call & make your restaurant reservation when you make your hotel reservation - I waited till the week before & there were only a few time slots open. Also be sure & request a table by the window - and let the reservationist know you're staying at the hotel. (Ask for Jackie - she was wonderful to speak with!) The website says a window table request can't be guaranteed, but making a reservation early & staying at the hotel helps I think! :-) A window table cannot be beat - the restaurant is called "The View" for a reason! :-) and with it being a revolving restaurant - the scenery is spectacular!

Some of my friends stayed in the Crown Plaza near Times Square - I think that might be an NCL hotel too? Perhaps check out their prices and then compare them to some of the web reservation services.

I don't know what your budget is...however if you're looking for a budget hotel in a good location, I stayed at the Red Roof Inn on West 32nd Street several times on business (my office is located in the vicinity of the hotel). The rates are under 200 a night and that includes a continental breakfast. There is a spot to view the Empire State building at night (you're only one block away) which is absolutely sensational.. It's in the middle of Korean Town and there are any number of sensational Korean restaurants right outside your door. There's also a Korean bakery/ice cream shop that is wonderful...a great place to stop by and have any number of different teas along with some confectionaries from Korea - red bean ice cream, different types of cakes. It attracts a young professional crowd and is very busy most of the time. It's very conveniently located. The rooms were nice, clean. I have not been there in over a year but that would not stop me from staying there again.

You might, however, have a transfer included if you book your hotel through NCL? It might be worth looking into further.

However with all that said...if you can fit it into your budget, I would certainly opt for the Marriott Marquis. It will be more expensive but the location is perfect. You will be right in the middle of the theater district too. Having stayed there as well...there is no comparison to the RRI that I described above.

Also, if taking a taxi to the pier, be very clear to the driver that you are going to the West side pier "where the Intrepid is docked." There are now 3 different places to cruise from in the metropolitan area - the West side of Manhattan (where NCL docks), the Brooklyn terminal in Red Hook (where the Cunard ladies dock, and then the Bayonne (NJ) dock where, I believe, Celebrity and Royal Caribbean are stationed. Taxi cab drivers in NY are not all well informed about these things...so you must tell them you want to go to the West side pier - telling them "where the Intrepid is" has always worked very well for us. Everyone, pretty much, knows where the Intrepid is...you most certainly can't miss it!!!!!!

Have a wonderful time in NY and on your cruise.

...and here's a little tip that works for me probably 9 times out of 10 - once I decide the hotel we want to stay at (and I'm like you SailingDeanna - I POUR over suggestions & hotel websites *LOL*) - I make the reservation online - that way I know we're staying where I want *LOL* - no deposit just a credit card to secure the reservation - then.....as we get closer to the sail date, I keep checking online for the room rate - and if the hotel isn't totally booked - or some special pops up - I can take advantage of the rate reduction. A great example was our stay at the Marriott Marquis - I checked about 2 weeks out and found the rate had dropped about $100....so I took advantage of the rate reduction. Beautiful hotel - great rate - fabulous cruise !!! It just doesn't get any better !!!

http://travel.webshots.com/photo/2983631710046209414pBUvtc

Here's a photo I found on webshots of the view from the Hotel Novotel New York of one of the piers.

This hotel is at W. 52nd & Broadway. I'm spending the night there this weekend & I'll let you know how it is.

Lauren and I stayed at the Novotel a couple of years ago. Great location, European feel, entrance is "goofy", with a couple of small elevators up to the Lobby. Rooms were pretty standard for NYC, nothing special.

FYI -- I just picked up a hotel in NYC for next May.

Hotwire find; four star hotel; Morgans Hotel on Madison Avenue; Between Empire State Building and Grand Central Station; $189 + taxes/fees.

Good luck,

Kel:)

http://travel.webshots.com/photo/2983631710046209414pBUvtc

Here's a photo I found on webshots of the view from the Hotel Novotel New York of one of the piers.

This hotel is at W. 52nd & Broadway. I'm spending the night there this weekend & I'll let you know how it is.

I spent the night at this hotel on Saturday. It is very convenient to Radio City Music Hall, 5th Ave shopping & the Broadway theaters. Our room was large with a king size bed & a pull out couch. The reception desk staff were nice. They gave my DGD two stuffed animals when we were checking in. :)

Archived