Lima What to do

GOIRISH33071

We have a 6 hours lay over in Lima Airport. 6pm to 12.30am Any suggestions on what to do.

Frank

About the only thing you could do is hire a car service (my friend Luis at San Antonio Abad can make arrangements) and wander around the LarcoMar shopping center (not for shopping, just for being in Miraflores and the wonderful beach views from the shopping center). SPECTACULAR Japanese restaurant on the lower level, pretty darn good food in the main level with ocean views.

DO NOT go outside the airport and just flag down any old taxi UNLESS you speak FLUENT SPANISH, ESPECIALLY at night. Robberies by taxi drivers are common. You get taken to a VERY bad part of town and you WILL give up your money.

What are the arrangements for your flights???? IF you don't have a through flight, you will have your luggage to deal with. Check-in in Lima is RARELY before 3 hours pre flight. If you booked a flight into Lima and are flying Spirit to the USA, you will have your luggage to deal with.

We were in Lima recently and we took a 4 hour city tour with Peru Vision Tours from our hotel in Miraflores. There is a Ramada Hotel at the airport. You can stop at their concierge desk and see if they can arrange a private taxi for you. Taxis in Lima work for a negotiated rate and not by meter and they are fairly cheap.

The company is Lima Vision. Cab will probably cost you $20 or so each way.

http://www.limavision.com/citytour.html

There isn't much open in Lima after 6:00PM that is "touristy" or good for sightseeing. Lots of clubs open, the LarcoMar shopping center is the only place that I would personally go for a taste of Lima for a couple of hours. Maybe the tennis club and a couple of really spectacular restaurants on the coast. Mickey D's, Tony Roma Ribs and KFC all open. The Gold Museum, the Larco Herrera Museum and the Indian market-ALL CLOSED!!!!

There isn't much open in Lima after 6:00PM that is "touristy" or good for sightseeing.

I missed the timeframe! The Larco Mar shopping center should be open. They have some nice restaurants there too including one with a Peruvian entertainment dinner show. Several on our bus tour were dropped off there after 6 pm.

I missed the timeframe! The Larco Mar shopping center should be open. They have some nice restaurants there too including one with a Peruvian entertainment dinner show. Several on our bus tour were dropped off there after 6 pm.

We have not been to Peru before. What precausions did you take when eating the local food to avoid illness. We are going there pre-cruise and will not be allowed on the ship if ill.

Terry

About the only thing you could do is hire a car service (my friend Luis at San Antonio Abad can make arrangements) and wander around the LarcoMar shopping center (not for shopping, just for being in Miraflores and the wonderful beach views from the shopping center). SPECTACULAR Japanese restaurant on the lower level, pretty darn good food in the main level with ocean views.

DO NOT go outside the airport and just flag down any old taxi UNLESS you speak FLUENT SPANISH, ESPECIALLY at night. Robberies by taxi drivers are common. You get taken to a VERY bad part of town and you WILL give up your money.

What are the arrangements for your flights???? IF you don't have a through flight, you will have your luggage to deal with. Check-in in Lima is RARELY before 3 hours pre flight. If you booked a flight into Lima and are flying Spirit to the USA, you will have your luggage to deal with.

Agree with greatam. We took the San Antonio Abad tour when in port in April. Reliable and knowledgeable. http://www.hotelsanantonioabad.com

We have not been to Peru before. What precausions did you take when eating the local food to avoid illness. We are going there pre-cruise and will not be allowed on the ship if ill.

Terry

We were in Lima for only one day and we only ate at restaurants that looked to be clean and somewhat upscale. I had the ceviche and there was no problem. For the rest of Peru (Cusco & Machu Picchu), I stayed away from local delicacies like guinea pig!

http://travel.webshots.com/photo/2273324480027599206KVwfyY

• 2 months later...
Does anyone know how much it will cost for taxi from the cruise port to downtown Lima? Do they take US dollars? Thanks.

If you mean to "downtown Miraflores", about $20-25.00. "Downtown" is slightly cheaper but more to see and do in Miraflores (the upscale area of Lima). And yes, they take US dollars. Just MAKE SURE you have negotiated the fare BEFORE you get in the taxi. AND it is a long walk from the ship to the taxi's. Sometimes, the ships run a shuttle bus from the ship to the entrance to the port, sometimes not.

Be careful-the port in Callao is in the WORST part of Lima. Lots of muggers, thieves, bums hanging around begging money and trying to rip people off. I travel to SA (Peru and Chile in particular) frequently for business. I have arranged transport from the pier BEFORE I get to Lima, even though I am very familiar with the area. I simply do not trust most Peruvian cab drivers-especially in the port and airport areas.

If you mean to "downtown Miraflores", about $20-25.00. "Downtown" is slightly cheaper but more to see and do in Miraflores (the upscale area of Lima). And yes, they take US dollars. Just MAKE SURE you have negotiated the fare BEFORE you get in the taxi. AND it is a long walk from the ship to the taxi's. Sometimes, the ships run a shuttle bus from the ship to the entrance to the port, sometimes not.

Be careful-the port in Callao is in the WORST part of Lima. Lots of muggers, thieves, bums hanging around begging money and trying to rip people off. I travel to SA (Peru and Chile in particular) frequently for business. I have arranged transport from the pier BEFORE I get to Lima, even though I am very familiar with the area. I simply do not trust most Peruvian cab drivers-especially in the port and airport areas.

Greatam,

I'll be disembarking in Callao and flying back to the states from the Lima airport. Who do you use to get from the port to the airport? Thanks!

Archived